• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink postings!?

55 posts in this topic

Exactly why I would never pay "crazy money" for bronze/modern age stuff. Pretty common in high grade. As the prices keep going up more stuff will come out. They are almost at a point where I may start to drag out some stuff.

Exactly why I would never pay "crazy money" for bronze/modern age stuff. Pretty common in high grade. As the prices keep going up more stuff will come out. They are almost at a point where I may start to drag out some stuff.

That ship may be about to sail, so I'd hurry up.

Anyone notice the crazy CGC-graded ASM (not to mention the other titles) listings today on comiclink? The quantity of certain issues alone is stunning...

+i.VolumeNumber&ODire3=ASC'>http://www.comiclink.com/cgc.asp?_SORT=Y...mber&ODire3=ASC

D'oh! Just noticed that others noticed... insane.gif

Nice......7 pages of comics I will never buy and at those prices most likely no one else will either.

Kind of puts the relative "perception" scarcity of high grade silver and bronze into perspective. Sort of mental listing that many multiple high grades at one time, you would think that there may be a type of dilution factor involved. screwy.gif

To no one in particular...

Well, ASM is definitely a popular title, and prices are pretty well established. However, and maybe I'm being sensitive here because my "thing" is Bronze Age, but there are gaps on certain titles and books that aren't abundant. Rarity alone is just one factor; desirability is another. If one can sell at those prices, more power to them. An educated collector would know what a collectible is worth; this could be a case of a new collector entering the market who doesn't know better.

I know for a fact most people here has paid "stupid" money for a book they really wanted. Unless your blood is cold, we all have been driven at one time by an emotional purchase.Some more than others... shy.gif

Kind of puts the relative "perception" scarcity of high grade silver and bronze into perspective. Sort of mental listing that many multiple high grades at one time, you would think that there may be a type of dilution factor involved. screwy.gif

Good point. On the other hand, maybe it is a collector who has spent five years collecting the title and started to accumulate duplicates. Who here has the billion copies of Iron Man "Tales of Suspense"? combo issue insane.gif

Guys-One day Bronze Age comics will pop and you will all be saying- sh*t I should have bought them back when....

Trust me on this-Buy as many runs of raw or CGC graded high grade Bronze Age. This is were you can in at close to the bottom floor and clean-up 5 years from now!

VZ

good point Vinnie. Weve seen it before and Ive posted on the "what used to be crrap turns out to be gold" phenomenon. It wasnt so long ago that a BA book selling for as much as $200 was "crazy"! Those books now can be feverishly bid ups for thousands!

But will history repeat itself again? Or has the future already been built into todays prices??

Guys-One day Bronze Age comics will pop and you will all be saying- sh*t I should have bought them back when....

Trust me on this-Buy as many runs of raw or CGC graded high grade Bronze Age. This is were you can in at close to the bottom floor and clean-up 5 years from now!

VZ

screwy.gif Can I quote you on this in 5 years, V?

Anyways, if you're serious and not saying this tongue in cheek, put your money where your mouth is and buy up this huge supply overhang.

VZ

Says the dealer... frustrated.gif

I don't think this statement is realistic considering what we're seeing as far as availability in the market. These aren't pre-1965 comic we're talking about...

There are way too many HG Bronze out there to sustain these prices in my opinion. There will be a saturation point. And once it's reached these prices will fall significantly. Wasn't too long ago when people here were noting the lack of HG X-Men #94s...now they're relatively common when talking HG Bronze.

This was a terrible day for those sitting on HG slabbed ASM #122, 200, etc...

Jim

Im pretty sure Vinnie was talking about the $40 and $60 Spideys in the high 100s and noyt the earlier ones that are already selling for $300 to $800. Theres a lot more upside to ANY book in HG at $40. They will double far quicker than the others will.

Im pretty sure Vinnie was talking about the $40 and $60 Spideys in the high 100s and noyt the earlier ones that are already selling for $300 to $800. Theres a lot more upside to ANY book in HG at $40. They will double far quicker than the others will.

Who says? HG ASMs past #160 are a dime a dozen. There isn't a shortage of them now nor will there be in the future unless people start using them to light bonfires. Anyone that remembers NativeNewYorker's ASM horde scans could see that...

There's nothing to suggest these comics will rise in price whatsoever other than a conventional wisdom that all Bronze comics will continue to appreciate. I'd argue there's more reason to believe 9.6 and lower ASMs will drop in price rather than rise...

Jim

VZ

Seems prices for bronze "popped" more than any other age since CGC hit the streets. 5-6 years ago you could find just about any non-key bronze age book for under $10, and even the keys weren't selling for more than $500. I believe it was Doug Sulipa who did a market report on which bronze age books had sold for over $1,000, and there weren't many at all (DC 100 Page SS #5, Uncle Scrooge 179, HoS 92, maybe a Marvel or two). Post-1975 books are common in high grade relative to anything published pre-1975, and the "25-year" window when comics have traditionally hit their stride in the market ended for bronze age several years ago... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

VZ

Wow. From one of the world's biggest dealer, this statement seems absolutely crazy. I hope in this statement you're implying that by buying a run of raw you can get a good deal, and you'll be paying no where near guide prices. But I think we've already seen the bottom floor come and go. HG CGC BA retailing for 5-10X guide seems ludicrous except on the cheapest books where cost of slabbing enters into the equation. When you consider dealer prices (which is my standard for market value) on most of these books is a fraction of guide (unless an immediate flip is available), you have long way to go before you can cover that tremendous spread. Factor in most BA are abundant, they are currently "hot" which means buying now is emotionally driven, the likelihood the census #s will increase significantly, not to mention the 9.6's and 9.8's that will incur SCS (or the increasing hesitance in buying HG BA or MA for fear of receiving a SCS comic), they look like like horrible investments, exceeded only by almost all MA.

Perhaps there are a handful of BA where the truly scarcity is underappreciated and the current price is low, but that has to be an incredibly small % of all BA books.

buying at the bottom was a long time ago for those books, unless there is a huge influx of new collectors who are willing to spend even the current prices these books will stagnate or even go down some.

I agree with Banner most of the bronze keys have already doubled/tripled or gone up ten fold.

Easier to do when a books is $20 then a few hundred or thousand

At this point if you are buying as an investment only then I wish you very good luck and some clairvoyance too. If you're buying to collect and fill your runs then your pockets are deeper than mine frown.gif

I agree with Banner most of the bronze keys have already doubled/tripled or gone up ten fold.

I also agree, and I've spent the past 5 or 6 months unloading almost all of my bronze and using the money to buy gold. This is somethign I could never have dreamt of doing pre-CGC, so I'm not complaining. But am I going to rue the day 5 years from now and say "wow, I let that bronze go for peanuts!" When I'm sitting on some high grade All-Stars and a couple Gaines books that I couldn't have afforded otherwise, somehow I doubt it.

I also agree, and I've spent the past 5 or 6 months unloading almost all of my bronze and using the money to buy gold. This is somethign I could never have dreamt of doing pre-CGC, so I'm not complaining. But am I going to rue the day 5 years from now and say "wow, I let that bronze go for peanuts!" When I'm sitting on some high grade All-Stars and a couple Gaines books that I couldn't have afforded otherwise, somehow I doubt it.

OK, I'm selling my Bronze Books... get out now, while there's still time!! poke2.gif

I also agree. I just can't see myself paying 10-fold for an easy to find book just because of one less stress line or corner bend.

As far as Vinny is concerned, maybe he's using reverse psychology to make us jump all over his statement and come to the conclusion that SA and GA books are the way to go (and what better place to find pre-1975 books than Metro). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif