• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best cons for buying?

33 posts in this topic

If you just wanna go to SDCC (Comic Con) for the show of it all, then that's fine, but if you are going for buying and selling I'd say target another con.

Baltimore, Kansas City, or Seattle cons are all more buyer/seller friendly, have a wider range of dealers, plus they are going to be cheaper (I didnt say cheap, just cheaper) and they still have a great artist lineup too.

So then which comic conventions would you say are the best for buying, and therefore selling, comics? Which conventions would be heavier in number of dealers, and lighter in features/attractions not directly related to comic magazines?

???

it also depends on WHAT you are buying/selling.

I think SDCC might be a good sales place for certain types of books (I'm thinking high end, 4-5 figure books)

My quoted comment (which you totally took out of context and you'll be hearing from my lawyer) was directed at someone who deals in less high end books... thus I thought SDCC would be a waste of his time if he was trying to buy for selling/flipping purposes.

wait my lawyer's here

OBJECTION!

Phoenix.jpg

Unslabbed. Atom Age and Silver Age titles. Not just superhero but esoteric and second-tier titles, funny animal, western, teen, etc. Low four figures on down.

:)

Unslabbed. Atom Age and Silver Age titles. Not just superhero but esoteric and second-tier titles, funny animal, western, teen, etc. Low four figures on down.

I think Baltimore would be just what you are looking for then. I saw tons of that material last year.

Chicago is the best con for buying comics. Even though the entertainment aspect of it has grown over the last few years, it's still maintained its roots as a comic buying and selling show

Absolutely.

hm

I may casually mention that I want to attend C2E2 to the wife. If you never hear from me again, you know why lol

ECCC is not for me anymore unfortunately.

Jerome

Chicago is the best con for buying comics. Even though the entertainment aspect of it has grown over the last few years, it's still maintained its roots as a comic buying and selling show

I trust you mean the Wizard World in August. Though I like C2E2, I don't think of it as a good buying show. I rarely get much at all at C2E2. IMO, it's a big circus atmosphere.

You are going to start selling your wonderful collection ? Say it ain't so, Hep.

I trust you mean the Wizard World in August. Though I like C2E2, I don't think of it as a good buying show. I rarely get much at all at C2E2. IMO, it's a big circus atmosphere.

Yes, WW Chicago (thumbs u

That is what I was seconding as well, I've never been to C2E2 and have heard that it is not much of a comic-centric show.

+1

Chicago has a lot of great board members. Makes it a great show for buying and socializing.

That is what I was seconding as well, I've never been to C2E2 and have heard that it is not much of a comic-centric show.

I live in the Chicago suburbs, so I go to both Chicago shows each year. Based on more seasoned members' comments, I guess the better buying show is WW, though I've found good deals at both. Guess it depends on what you are looking for -- i.e. rare GA or original art, $1 box diving for a gem, submitting on-site, etc.

I do, however, prefer C2E2 for non-comic reasons: easier to get to (for me), nicer venue, and a great setup for comic artists and writers.

You are going to start selling your wonderful collection ? Say it ain't so, Hep.

No I am not. At least not as far out as I can see. I hope to continue adding at least slowly to my collection for years to come.

Comments in another thread just raised the subject in my mind, that plus my annoyance with how FanExpo in Toronto has evolved into something much more than a comicon, and thus less of a comicon.

:juggle: