• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics #138 Edgar Church (Mile High) 8.5 Qualified

10 posts in this topic

Curious as to whether you bought it raw originally or graded?

If raw, what did the seller grade the book as when you bought it?

I never liked the qualified grade for these kinds of defects. To me, it's a book with a tear on the back cover, grade accordingly. Yeah, it might be much nicer than another book with more defects, so one presumes the seller can point that out to his buyers and get a higher price for it than the usual book in that grade.

I never liked the qualified grade for these kinds of defects. To me, it's a book with a tear on the back cover, grade accordingly. Yeah, it might be much nicer than another book with more defects, so one presumes the seller can point that out to his buyers and get a higher price for it than the usual book in that grade.

Agreed. thumbsup2.gif Qualified seems to be handy (if it is indeed handy) for a super-rare book in great shape, but with a weird problem. Like, a Gerber 9 with a page missing, for example. I don't see the necessity of the green label in this case, but that's just me.

BTW, Woogie, I'm checkin' the mail for my 'Tecs! wink.gif

Agreed. thumbsup2.gif Qualified seems to be handy (if it is indeed handy) for a super-rare book in great shape, but with a weird problem. Like, a Gerber 9 with a page missing, for example. I don't see the necessity of the green label in this case, but that's just me.

BTW, Woogie, I'm checkin' the mail for my 'Tecs! wink.gif

blush.gif Thanks for buying them! (But they won't ship out until this Saturday, sorry.) I should have told you of the slight delay... sorry.gif

Actually, this book was bought off of eBay back in 2000 as a slabbed book. Based on the CGC number, it may have been one of the earlier submissions to CGC. A very close review of the bottom back cover where the piece is missing, notes that the inner pages have a zig zag cut which tells me the cutting blade may have been dull and caused the problem. I have no problem with a qualified grade for reasons such as this. The book appears to be otherwise pristine and given that it was an Edgar Church book from 1948, the book was probably never opened so a VG grade would never do this book justice.

There's a chance that book would get a blue label if resubbed. CGC was much more likely in the early days to assign a qualified grade than they are now.

I resubbed my Thrilling #33 CGC 9.4(Q) recently and it came back a blue label 8.0.