• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Strange Tales 89 Foom! GRADED AND POSTED

22 posts in this topic

It could snatch a VG, IMO.

The water damage is extensive, but I used to have a Golden Age Daredevil #2 graded as a 4.5 with less, but considerable water damage at the top.

By CGC standards, that is, I’d have no clue on how it would grade by Overstreet.

Personally I’d buy it as a VG-/VG – love it!

Nice enough to call 4.5 IMHO

VG+ used to mean 'your average, well read book'. This is not an example of a well read book. This is a severely water stained book. 4.5, no way. 3.0, maybe 3.5 at best.

I respect your opinion but please keep in mind another test for the VG range is desirability. I would have trouble not considering this a desirable and collectible copy. Just below the halfway point between a rag and a dead mint book was my initial reaction and after a second take I stand behind that assessment although I can understand why some may disagree and I take no issue with that. In spite of the staining I think you'll find this looks a bit nicer than most graded 4.0's. If the OP sends this down Id be real curious of CGC's opinion.

all opinions should be respected and considered. but a book that is desirable and collectable has nothing to do with the grade or the defects that are present.

this book still presents well and has good color but it has severe water damage. its tough to grade from a scan and I would like to see what that spot on the F.C. is. Could be the paper was lifted from being wet or something else.

CGC hammers water damage and stains and this book has major water problems, and we all have our opinions. There is probably more damage and staining on the inside covers too. I stand by 3.0 as we are not talking about a book with a pencil or dime sized stain or water spot.

I knew this book was difficult to grade but I didn't expect the conversations it would start. I'm interested to see CGC's take on it too. I have decided to submit the book and see what happens. Stay tuned as we're all familiar with the turnaround time and if anyone else wants to chime in with their opinion, I'm listening. Thanks again everyone.

There were some mixed opinions on this book, ranging from 2.5-4.5. I was expecting a 4.0 with the possibility of 3.5. I was happy with the results. This has been a book I've wanted for years. I think the overall presentation gave it the 4.0. Thanks again everyone for your input.

15D38F6E-1AB0-4C62-BB02-4BF510B72D57_zpsnmugtqhq.jpg