• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Commissions larger than 11x17

49 posts in this topic

Tony Harris....huge classic monsters fan, giant talent, great guy.

Lon Chaney, man of 1,000 faces, slightly larger than 14"x18"

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=673051

Harris%20Man%20of%20a%201000_zpsbjotpztc.jpg

Did he charge you by the face (which might help explain the absence of the other 991)?

Comic art board is at it's essence a heavy gauge paper, sometimes also called bristol board or illustration board. It comes in a plethora of thicknesses and finishes. It can range from a super smooth surface, to a very raggy toothy surface (plate, vellum, etc). It can come in pads of various sizes, on up to large single sheets.

I've bought it as large as 30" x 40" sheets. It's available in many good art supply shops, but not so much in your run of the mill big box "art" shops like Michaels or Hobby Lobby. It's really going to depend on your (or the artist's) area, and what is around. You can find it online easy enough, but shipping big sheets of this stuff in doesn't make any sense unless buying in bulk.

Some examples...

http://www.dickblick.com/categories/artboards/#bristolboards

Oh, and my largest commission to date:

Phil Hale painting of his character Johnny Badhair (who first appeared in an issue of Epic).

This one is 6 ft square, oil painted on hand stretched linen panels. You can see the size here, and the actual art better in my CAF link below.

409791352.jpg

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1139673

One other thing to note about commissioning an artist, that's been addressed somewhat, but worth repeating. Some artists are used to working at certain sizes. Their characteristic gestures, the way they put down brush lines, detail and draw in general can be impacted by changes in scale. In some cases, asking an artist to draw something outside of the size comfort zone can be tantamount to asking them to switch sides and draw with their other hand. It's not trained to respond the same, and can lead to some awkward results.

Good luck!

First off, that is an impressive painting!

Thanks also for the input - you make a good point about being mindful of what is in an artist's wheelhouse. I wouldn't be asking them to work outside of what they might draw as a DPS so I am comfortable bringing up the topic. If they aren't enthusiastic about the idea, I will shut it down. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I had an artist who regularly works at 11x17 try to do an 18x24 Arkham commission and after many months of trying...he just gave up and refunded my money. He couldn't do it, it was too difficult. I respect him for trying and not charging. So yeah, what's within the comfort zone of the artist is important.

That said, I LOVE larger pieces. I have some 14x20 and 16x20" paintings and they appear to dwarf 11x17. They're beautiful.

Now, I'm expecting my first poster size (22x31" or so) painting in a few months. Not sure what to expect with that lol.

Tony Harris....huge classic monsters fan, giant talent, great guy.

Lon Chaney, man of 1,000 faces, slightly larger than 14"x18"

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=673051

Harris%20Man%20of%20a%201000_zpsbjotpztc.jpg

Did he charge you by the face (which might help explain the absence of the other 991)?

lol

probably. Also these were the most interesting. Some of the others were pretty boring faces.

I guess it can also depend on what you are asking the larger size for. Are you simply asking the artist to do her usual work, just scaled up? Or are you asking for a Perez/Jimenez type group shot/battle scene and want the extra space for a grander scope?

This is also by Eric Meador, Dave. It's 15 1/2" x 21", but on the back of the board it was listed as 22" x 30", so he cut it down to fit his vision for the piece. This was done before Jon Bernthal was cast as the Punisher, but when you look at a picture of him and this piece, it's kind of startling how close the resemblance is.

If you don't have a piece by him, I can't recommend him enough.

zs3Tex1L_1508141625541.jpg

Man, that resemblance is quite startling, knowing it is coincidental!

Yeah, that is nuts!!

Cool commission...really enjoying seeing these, thanks to everyone for posting.

My oversize commissions have all been paintings (although I'm waiting on some large-scale pen/ink ones). This one by Steve Rude is 20X30. It's also the first piece of OA I ever bought, to tie into the other thread that's going on:

NEXUSArtofSteveRudeCoverA.jpg

20"x26"

MASK%201%20BampW_zpscjcyquor.jpg

20" x 26"

Detective%20880_zpsuvuymszu.jpg

20" x 30"

SS_420x30.jpg

I don't think you can find bristol board ( the art paper comic artists draw on ) much larger than 12"x19", but the artist you get to do a larger commission can just choose a different paper.