• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Commissions larger than 11x17

49 posts in this topic

Thinking about getting a commission larger than 11x17 and don’t want to do the DPS on 2 boards option. Any suggestions on getting oversized boards?

For anyone who has done this (one board larger than 11x17), I would love to see them – post ‘em here!

Thanks!

Thinking about getting a commission larger than 11x17 and don’t want to do the DPS on 2 boards option. Any suggestions on getting oversized boards?

For anyone who has done this (one board larger than 11x17), I would love to see them – post ‘em here!

Thanks!

Here's one by Buzz.

Great...GREAT guy to deal with...always delivers and the results are phenomenal.

This one is 14"x17"

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=349747

Buzzvampimonsterssmall_zpskqxznvmd.jpg

For a more hardcore, traditional Norse Mythology Loki, Eric Meador created this piece.

I think every last bit of Norse mythological reference is included here.

It's 20"x20" and entirely in pencil.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=439200

Meador%20Loki_zpswhhpmum7.jpg

Tony Harris....huge classic monsters fan, giant talent, great guy.

Lon Chaney, man of 1,000 faces, slightly larger than 14"x18"

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=673051

Harris%20Man%20of%20a%201000_zpsbjotpztc.jpg

Those are GREAT Chris and along the lines I was thinking. Did you provide these for the artists or did they have them on hand? I know most artists don’t usually work larger than single 11x17 sheets so I am wondering if I will need to provide the paper, etc.

Amazing pieces – didn’t realize they were oversized. I have a piee by Buzz that I love as well (need to get on CAF). All framed or in portfolio (oversized portfolio is my next thread – for DPS and larger art).

Normally, it's what the artist prefers to work on, size wise.

They usually have pricing structures based on size and composition.

I've never given an artist the board to work on though.

The guys who paint always seem to want to work larger.

The ones who work in comics normally seem to be used to 11x17 and default to that size.

I have some 16x20's from Daniel Govar who seems to like that for his larger pieces.

I'd discuss it with them and see how they prefer to work. I usually let them lead when it comes to materials. It's probably cheaper to just reimburse them the cost of a larger board than to buy one and ship it to them.

Good info - I figured as much. The artist normally works on 11x17 so this would be a request that is out of the ordinary and a good likelihood they don’t have it so I am looking to find some in case I need to pick it up myself as I don’t mind eating a few bucks to ship if necessary.

Good info - I figured as much. The artist normally works on 11x17 so this would be a request that is out of the ordinary and a good likelihood they don’t have it so I am looking to find some in case I need to pick it up myself as I don’t mind eating a few bucks to ship if necessary.

I can't believe there's any artist who doesn't have an art supplies store somewhere close by, so if they say that they don't have the size you asked for, I think it's just an excuse and what they're really saying is that their heart just isn't into it, and in that case I'd suggest you ditch your oversize idea. It's your commission, but I think it's never a good idea to make an artist do something they really don't like or are uncomfortable with; doing something begrudgingly is never a good thing. 2c

I can't believe there's any artist who doesn't have an art supplies store somewhere close by, so if they say that they don't have the size you asked for, I think it's just an excuse and what they're really saying is that their heart just isn't into it, and in that case I'd suggest you ditch your oversize idea. It's your commission, but I think it's never a good idea to make an artist do something they really don't like or are uncomfortable with; doing something begrudgingly is never a good thing. 2c

+1

If you ever get a commission from Geof Darrow, you will get a monster. I commissioned him for a drawing to be picked up by the folks at my LCS at SDCC. Good thing they had a truck. It's 22x28 - basically a piece of poster board like you'd use in elementary school.

Click to embiggen:

Ka91Jyqa_1508141830581.jpg

I forgot to mention that you can get poster board at any office supply store and on-line.

Also, for what it's worth 11x17 = 181 sq. in. While 22x28 = 616 sq. in. That's more than 3 times the drawing surface. Expect to pay more.

And framing! Ouch!

I completely agree with this. I have backed away from several commissions where I didn’t get an “I’m all in” vibe on some particular aspect of a commission idea.

I am thinking this out as a contingency, not a definitive plan. And this is to kill two birds with one stone as I am trying to figure out where to get true comic board type paper larger than 11x17. As such, I am thinking that the poster board above isn’t the same makeup.

Maybe I should email Jim Warden – I know Byrne has a wide variety of commission sizes that he does at request. I am sure he could point me in the right direction.

Thanks all – appreciate the input!

...I am thinking this out as a contingency, not a definitive plan. And this is to kill two birds with one stone as I am trying to figure out where to get true comic board type paper larger than 11x17. As such, I am thinking that the poster board above isn’t the same makeup.

Maybe I should email Jim Warden – I know Byrne has a wide variety of commission sizes that he does at request. I am sure he could point me in the right direction.

Not sure if any of the current publishers has an official illustration board larger than 11x17 these days. Maybe check the Kubert school art store; if it's good enough for aspiring comic book artists...

...I am thinking this out as a contingency, not a definitive plan. And this is to kill two birds with one stone as I am trying to figure out where to get true comic board type paper larger than 11x17. As such, I am thinking that the poster board above isn’t the same makeup.

Not sure if any of the current publishers has an official illustration board larger than 11x17 these days. Maybe check the Kubert school art store; if it's good enough for aspiring comic book artists...

Good idea - thank you.

Comic art board is at it's essence a heavy gauge paper, sometimes also called bristol board or illustration board. It comes in a plethora of thicknesses and finishes. It can range from a super smooth surface, to a very raggy toothy surface (plate, vellum, etc). It can come in pads of various sizes, on up to large single sheets.

I've bought it as large as 30" x 40" sheets. It's available in many good art supply shops, but not so much in your run of the mill big box "art" shops like Michaels or Hobby Lobby. It's really going to depend on your (or the artist's) area, and what is around. You can find it online easy enough, but shipping big sheets of this stuff in doesn't make any sense unless buying in bulk.

Some examples...

http://www.dickblick.com/categories/artboards/#bristolboards

Oh, and my largest commission to date:

Phil Hale painting of his character Johnny Badhair (who first appeared in an issue of Epic).

This one is 6 ft square, oil painted on hand stretched linen panels. You can see the size here, and the actual art better in my CAF link below.

409791352.jpg

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1139673

One other thing to note about commissioning an artist, that's been addressed somewhat, but worth repeating. Some artists are used to working at certain sizes. Their characteristic gestures, the way they put down brush lines, detail and draw in general can be impacted by changes in scale. In some cases, asking an artist to draw something outside of the size comfort zone can be tantamount to asking them to switch sides and draw with their other hand. It's not trained to respond the same, and can lead to some awkward results.

Good luck!