• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

when does someone getting "screwed over" become a big deal?

36 posts in this topic

:(

so you see someone overpaying for a book, do you say anything afterwards or before the buyer makes another mistake?

I was at an auction a year ago and saw someone overpay for a giant size x-men and asm 121 by over $300 each on the retail value.

Did he actually 'overpay'?

Don't know if this qualifies but a buyer kept pestering me for a cheaper price on a BA key and it was for his "collection" so I relented and gave it to him for he good price only to see the book for sale soon after he got it at a higher price. What can you do? (shrug)

Rule #1 - No Collector Discounts

so you see someone overpaying for a book, do you say anything afterwards or before the buyer makes another mistake?

I was at an auction a year ago and saw someone overpay for a giant size x-men and asm 121 by over $300 each on the retail value.

If I recall the Giant Size X-men started out as a VG/F but because of the wear from people handling the book before the auction, it's cover started to split. It sold close to $850

The ASM121 was a Fine and sold for about $750

I like to fold the pages completely back on a giant size X Men book before I decide to buy it to see how it holds up.

Haven't bought one yet.

How come I can picture you raising your hand to try to get that person from bidding but you are just increasing the bids yourself, creating a bidding war between you and the eventual winner.

Unless it's a friend I do not open my mouth when it comes to this stuff. Not my business how they spend their money.

This is how I handle it too. I do everything I can to advise my friends prior to purchase, but if they show me something they already bought (without my input) I always respond with how great the book is (even if they overpaid).

If someone breaks up with their bf.gf and start talking spoon do not agree and chime in.

When they get back together you will be persona non grata.

If I recall the Giant Size X-men started out as a VG/F but because of the wear from people handling the book before the auction, it's cover started to split. It sold close to $850

The ASM121 was a Fine and sold for about $750

My point is that if he knew what he wanted and is a grown man and ponied the money, did he actually over pay?

Not everyone subscribed to GPA and analyzes prices like they do on here. Some guys just want a copy and are not grade conscious.

It's hard to conceive in this speculative day and age but there used to be more people like this.

So who was the underbidder if this guy overpaid?

Unless it's a friend I do not open my mouth when it comes to this stuff. Not my business how they spend their money.

This- besides, if you do it in front of a dealer you might loose the relationship you can have with them. Not always a good idea.

Would anyone go to a Car Dealer and tell the customers "Hey the other dealer has cheaper prices for the same car!" It just doesn't seem right to me.

Now if its a friend and he asks me, I will say something to him in private.

Many times I have overpayed for a book based on guide.Capt flight 11 5x guide etc.I still love the book and im happy with the purchase.