• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tomorrow's Treasures slabs now?

108 posts in this topic

He's a fun guy to talk to but the display is always such a mess and it looks like "table" books are actually getting more damaged at cons. I bought a frankenbook off eBay from him and returned it with no problem. I think he does take a little too much license with the repairs he makes on his books - making him someone I avoid buying from simply because of the risk. But it's encouraging he's decided to get books graded and thus disclose the repairs.

It's funny; at the last NYCC, he had the usual hodgepodge of books spread out and getting mangled as people picked them up looked at them tossed them back on the table, whatever. He wasn't paying any attention. A couple of booths away, another seller had someone posted outside his booth who would stand over anyone looking at a book and after the person was done, he would very carefully file the book back away.

Two ends of the spectrum. :D

A couple of years ago, I purchased a book from him that was advertised as a VF/NM 9.0.

I just sent it in to CGC, and it came back as a 6.5. (I thought it would be about a 7.5. It had a couple of defects that were tough to grade, but there was no way it was ever going to be graded 9.0.)

richiemuchin.jpg

..... he sure is a handsome devil, though........ GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... I once ordered a book from him and returned it because of a spine split.... I got the refund and about a week later received a better copy from him and a note that said he'd mistakenly sent the wrong copy the first time. He told me to keep this copy free of charge....and it was a 200 dollar book. It's hard to argue with that......

A couple of years ago, I purchased a book from him that was advertised as a VF/NM 9.0.

I just sent it in to CGC, and it came back as a 6.5. (I thought it would be about a 7.5. It had a couple of defects that were tough to grade, but there was no way it was ever going to be graded 9.0.)

If you received it and it was that far off grade why didn't you return it? That's a huge difference even at 7.5

He's a fun guy to talk to but the display is always such a mess and it looks like "table" books are actually getting more damaged at cons. I bought a frankenbook off eBay from him and returned it with no problem. I think he does take a little too much license with the repairs he makes on his books - making him someone I avoid buying from simply because of the risk. But it's encouraging he's decided to get books graded and thus disclose the repairs.

Well....if you wanted to break out an Overstreet, his table books at cons are at LEAST 50% below guide.

I bought a few books off him at Baltimore, one of which was a low grade pre-code horror book at FIVE DOLLARS..

Looked it up a couple days later out of curiosity and Overstreet had it at $30 in GD.

It has a piece of tape on both staples IIRC, factor in the tape and I'd put, it at a very strict 1.0.

When a dealer prices his books that cheaply, they will NOT be in alpha-numerical order.

As far as his books on ebay, he does note any resto,repair and/or conservation done to each and every book.

and over-grades his books.

and considers restoration as " conservation ". lol

Well, he always tried to distinguish the two -- which CGC does as well now.

In my experience, he was always upfront about the work done on the books he sells.

+1, on both of these statements by Sqeggs.

I like Rich and consider him to be a stand up dealer.He's also a nice guy, fun to talk to and deal with....and always has plenty of good stories, whenever I see him at shows.

"Stand up dealers" don't sell books with detached covers that have been taped back on as "cover firmly attached" (yes...with tape) and then give you a raft of mess when you say "Hey, this cover isn't actually attached", effectively stealing your money by drawing higher bids than he would have gotten had the book simply been described accurately.

Regarding a book with a spine split...... :hi:

richiemuchin.jpg

..... he sure is a handsome devil, though........ GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... I once ordered a book from him and returned it because of a spine split.... I got the refund and about a week later received a better copy from him and a note that said he'd mistakenly sent the wrong copy the first time. He told me to keep this copy free of charge....and it was a 200 dollar book. It's hard to argue with that......

Well....if you wanted to break out an Overstreet, his table books at cons are at LEAST 50% below guide.

I bought a few books off him at Baltimore, one of which was a low grade pre-code horror book at FIVE DOLLARS..

Looked it up a couple days later out of curiosity and Overstreet had it at $30 in GD.

It has a piece of tape on both staples IIRC, factor in the tape and I'd put, it at a very strict 1.0.

When a dealer prices his books that cheaply, they will NOT be in alpha-numerical order.

As far as his books on ebay, he does note any resto,repair and/or conservation done to each and every book.

Very true. I have picked up quite a few decent readers and hole fillers from those piles. Trouble is, many of them have that ugly archival tape on the spines and staples.

He told me that he "salts" the piles a little at the beginning of a show. Which is of course is what I always pick out. He told me that part of the reason he has those piles, is to draw you into the more expensive books which works like a charm on me every time. He knows exactly what he is doing.

I am speaking from my dealings and interactions with Rich, personally.I think he's a pretty stand up guy to deal with.

That is my n=1 feedback on Rich.

I also don't know what listing/book you're referring to, so I can't comment on that.

I never understood the mentality that if it never happened you, it didn't happen. The focus of such comments seems a little narrow to me. It adds nothing to the validity of the conversation. It's a kudos thread where negative comments are not allowed. I admit Ritchie has the personality to win over some individuals. The focused individual will see what's really happening.

I am speaking from my dealings and interactions with Rich, personally.I think he's a pretty stand up guy to deal with.

I also don't know what listing/book you're referring to, so I can't comment on that.

I never understood the mentality that if it never happened you, it didn't happen. The focus of such comments seems a little narrow to me. It adds nothing to the validity of the conversation. It's a kudos thread where negative comments are not allowed. I admit Ritchie has the personality to win over some individuals. The focused individual will see what's really happening.

I don't think anyone is not allowing negative comments. In some of these threads about dealers -- particularly in CG -- the comments are overwhelmingly negative and you can draw the conclusion that the seller is to be avoided.

In this case, some people have had bad experiences with Richie and some have had good experiences. If I had had Peter's experience, I would probably do what he is doing -- never buying from him again.

But other people, including me, have had many good experiences. I think a buyer can draw the conclusion that you can buy books from him but to exercise caution for the reasons some people have raised.

If you received it and it was that far off grade why didn't you return it? That's a huge difference even at 7.5

It's entirely possible that jimbo assessed it as higher (maybe he thought 8.0 or 8.5 at time of purchase, which he deemed close enough), decided to keep it raw for awhile and over time (with closer inspection) reached the conclusion that it might get dinged more for certain defects by the CGC. Granted, 1.5 points is a lot of latitude for a customer to accept as an overgrade, but grading is as much art as science and differences of opinion can account for some variation.

That said, a 2.5 point overgrade is too much leeway. It wouldn't surprise me if Ritchie Muchin makes things right even after this much time passed. I've heard he's a straight shooter when grading mistakes are made. My 2c

I knew from the online scan that it probably wasn't a 9.0. Before seeing it in hand, I thought it was probably an 8.0 or possibly an 8.5, and he came down from his asking price, so my initial disappointment was slight.

This is the book:

FantWorlds6Aresz.jpg

The flip side of that is the mentality that just because it happened to you it must have happened to everybody.

They call it a 7.5, he thinks it's a 9.0. Why does that make him a "complete jerk"? Do you never disagree with a CGC/CBCS grade?

0.5 up or down sure. Even the odd 1 grade up or down. Here is an example of 1.5 grades down.

They call it a 7.5, he thinks it's a 9.0. Why does that make him a "complete jerk"? Do you never disagree with a CGC/CBCS grade?

0.5 up or down sure. 1.5 grades down, not really.

Ok you're right, he's a complete jerk.

0.5 up or down sure. 1.5 grades down, not really.

Ok you're right, he's a complete jerk.

Never said he was a jerk because of his grading. He's a jerk because of his attitude.

Actually, I'm saying the same thing as Peter - for those that know his site, I was just mocking his style.....

He's rude/insulting and dismissive of others and so much of his gripe over the years has been the "SLAB-O-MANIACS" (real word he uses). So in the land of hypocrisy, Mr. Muchin has earned himself Mayoral ranks.....

Sigh. I do know his site, and I am familiar with his terminology. I'm sorry he was rude to you, it's just never been my experience - in 25 years. I had a long conversation with him at a con about why he started having books certified. When you have a couple hours to kill, ask him about it.

The flip side of that is the mentality that just because it happened to you it must have happened to everybody.

I would think a more appropriate flip side is if it happened to you it could happen to anybody. If someone steps forward and shares an experience where Ritchie actually acted like a stand up guy, it would definitely be of interest. However, to simply say he's never done any wrong by you therefore he must be a stand up guy doesn't validate much.