• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tomorrow's Treasures slabs now?

108 posts in this topic

richiemuchin.jpg

..... he sure is a handsome devil, though........ GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... I once ordered a book from him and returned it because of a spine split.... I got the refund and about a week later received a better copy from him and a note that said he'd mistakenly sent the wrong copy the first time. He told me to keep this copy free of charge....and it was a 200 dollar book. It's hard to argue with that......

WOW. after seeing the pic of him i know this guy i think. Looks like the guy i would see at Wonder-con in SF. I think he would pull out a briefcase Detective 2 and tons of great rare books. I would see him with a long coat stacks of rare goldenage in stacks like you would see in the 70s. I would try to talk to him but tons of people around him and he would say hes not ready to sell yet is this the guy.

I had a very civil conversation with Ritchie at Chicago Wizard. He was courteous and went out of his way to be helpful when I inquired about a book for a boardie who wasn't able to make the show. Personally, I like the guy even though I still have mixed feelings about his approach to indulging in amateur repairs on raw books labeled as conservation.

In criticizing his earlier policy ...that stood in vehement opposition to third party grading... I felt it disingenuous to repair raw books while dismissing grading services (as it appeared to be a self-serving policy designed solely to bolster his eBay listings). But in fairness to Ritchie, the repair work he's done has been stated up front in his listings. The biggest arguments against Ritchie these days appear to be over-grading discrepencies.

Fast forward to the new Ritchie Muchin (meet the new boss, same as the old boss). He's still the same guy, but he's evolved in such a way that it makes third party grading services appear to have come around to his POV. Purely from a tactical perspective, Ritchie's change of heart is a win/win. It allows him to take the high ground, claiming victory for changing the rules of the game, while joining the established grading community. I'm all in favor of that; kudos to RM's cleverness.

Bottom line, I congratulate Ritchie and wish him all the best. How often in the real world or our collecting community does the hen house come around to the fox's POV?

I had a very civil conversation with Ritchie at Chicago

In criticizing his earlier policy that stood in vehement opposition to third party

Fast forward to the new Ritchie Muchin (meet the new boss, same as the old boss). He's still the same guy, but he's evolved in such a way that it makes third party grading services appear to have come around to his POV. Purely from a tactical perspective, Ritchie's change of heart is a win/win. It allows him to take the high ground, claiming victory for changing the rules of the game, while joining the established grading community. I'm all in favor of that.

Bottom line, I congratulate Ritchie and wish him all the best. How often in the real world or our collecting community does the hen house come around to the fox's POV?

(thumbs u

I've said it before about Richard, but here I go again for the newbs:

He always is willing to deal, and sells for fair prices. He pays better than nearly every other dealer out there for items he wants or needs.

He's a friend, and a fixture in the hobby

I like Richie also. I have done many deals with him. And he knows more about this hobby than anyone else in it. Not saying he doesn't rub some people the wrong way, just that I think he is a very interesting guy.

Richie is a pleasure to buy from. Done plenty of deals with him over the years. He has his idiosyncrasies, as do all of us. He stands behind what he sells and he is fair with prices. And he's been doing this some four decades. Here in South Florida, he has started doing his own private shows where he books a conference room at a local hotel right off an interstate exit and brings all of his material. Good location, free parking, free entrance, no cosplayers, and plenty of vintage material to go through. I can see more big name dealers following this model as comic cons become more diluted with fewer dealers.

Richie is a pleasure to buy from. Done plenty of deals with him over the years. He has his idiosyncrasies, as do all of us. He stands behind what he sells and he is fair with prices. And he's been doing this some four decades. Here in South Florida, he has started doing his own private shows where he books a conference room at a local hotel right off an interstate exit and brings all of his material. Good location, free parking, free entrance, no cosplayers, and plenty of vintage material to go through. I can see more big name dealers following this model as comic cons become more diluted with fewer dealers.

wait what, his own show. When does he do this and how does he get people to come....

James G

wait what, his own show. When does he do this and how does he get people to come....

James G

...go to his website www.tomorrowstreasures.com and get his contact info..... he'll put you on the mailing list. GOD BLESS...

James G

...go to his website www.tomorrowstreasures.com and get his contact info..... he'll put you on the mailing list. GOD BLESS...

In fact, Richie has a private event coming up February 28th in Tyson's Corner, Virginia ... And then he's back in Palm Beach County a week later, also a private event at an area hotel where he books a conference room. You just park, walk in, peruse and buy. No muss; no fuss.

He stands behind what he sells

No, he doesn't. Doing it some of the time for some of the people does not mean he stands behind what he sells.

We're not talking about disagreements of opinion, here. We're talking material differences in what was promised, vs. what was delivered.

We have an entire list of people that everyone is encouraged to "not do business with" who have done the exact same thing.

Different standards for different people.

He always is willing to deal, and sells for fair prices. He pays better than nearly every other dealer out there for items he wants or needs.

(thumbs u It's no coincidence that we've had similar experiences, Bill. There are people in this hobby that may be difficult to warm up to or are hard to understand - until you get to know them. Once you break through then you find the real person.

A couple of years ago, I purchased a book from him that was advertised as a VF/NM 9.0.

I just sent it in to CGC, and it came back as a 6.5. (I thought it would be about a 7.5. It had a couple of defects that were tough to grade, but there was no way it was ever going to be graded 9.0.)

If you received it and it was that far off grade why didn't you return it? That's a huge difference even at 7.5

I knew from the online scan that it probably wasn't a 9.0. Before seeing it in hand, I thought it was probably an 8.0 or possibly an 8.5, and he came down from his asking price, so my initial disappointment was slight.

This is the book:

FantWorlds6Aresz.jpg

Just judging from the front cover scan (in a CGC holder, as well).....I'd say it's surprising that this book was graded as a 6.5.

Looks more like an 8.0/8.5, based on what I can see.

I can see what Jim is getting at here.

(thumbs u It's no coincidence that we've had similar experiences, Bill. There are people in this hobby that may be difficult to warm up to or are hard to understand - until you get to know them. Once you break through then you find the real person.

Very true Gary. After all we all have something in common. We all love this medium.

A couple of years ago, I purchased a book from him that was advertised as a VF/NM 9.0.

I just sent it in to CGC, and it came back as a 6.5. (I thought it would be about a 7.5. It had a couple of defects that were tough to grade, but there was no way it was ever going to be graded 9.0.)

If you received it and it was that far off grade why didn't you return it? That's a huge difference even at 7.5

I knew from the online scan that it probably wasn't a 9.0. Before seeing it in hand, I thought it was probably an 8.0 or possibly an 8.5, and he came down from his asking price, so my initial disappointment was slight.

This is the book:

FantWorlds6Aresz.jpg

Just judging from the front cover scan (in a CGC holder, as well).....I'd say it's surprising that this book was graded as a 6.5.

I can see your point Jimbo. Looks like you got robbed on that one.

I had a very civil conversation with Ritchie at Chicago Wizard. He was courteous and went out of his way to be helpful when I inquired about a book for a boardie who wasn't able to make the show. Personally, I like the guy even though I still have mixed feelings about his approach to indulging in amateur repairs on raw books labeled as conservation.

In criticizing his earlier policy ...that stood in vehement opposition to third party grading... I felt it disingenuous to repair raw books while dismissing grading services (as it appeared to be a self-serving policy designed solely to bolster his eBay listings). But in fairness to Ritchie, the repair work he's done has been stated up front in his listings. The biggest arguments against Ritchie these days appear to be over-grading discrepencies.

Fast forward to the new Ritchie Muchin (meet the new boss, same as the old boss). He's still the same guy, but he's evolved in such a way that it makes third party grading services appear to have come around to his POV. Purely from a tactical perspective, Ritchie's change of heart is a win/win. It allows him to take the high ground, claiming victory for changing the rules of the game, while joining the established grading community. I'm all in favor of that; kudos to RM's cleverness.

Interesting perspective on him . . . hm

Pragmatism has it's virtues (the CGC's grading service evolved providing Ritchie a golden opportunity to shift gears). (thumbs u

I knew from the online scan that it probably wasn't a 9.0y. Before seeing it in hand, I thought it was probably an 8.0 or possibly an 8.5, and he came down from his asking price, so my initial disappointment was slight.

This is the book:

FantWorlds6Aresz.jpg

Robbed by who? That is a brutal grade for such a nice book. The book looks closer to a 9.0 than to a 6.5. This has 8.0 all over it. More evidence that CGC has gone back to old label grading? hm

I knew from the online scan that it probably wasn't a 9.0y. Before seeing it in hand, I thought it was probably an 8.0 or possibly an 8.5, and he came down from his asking price, so my initial disappointment was slight.

This is the book:

FantWorlds6Aresz.jpg

Robbed by who? That is a brutal grade for such a nice book. The book looks closer to a 9.0 than to a 6.5. This has 8.0 all over it. More evidence that CGC has gone back to old label grading? hm

Or pull the notes. Maybe interior flaws issues. Or back cover etc?

Pragmatism has it's virtues (the CGC's grading service evolved providing Ritchie a golden opportunity to shift gears). (thumbs u

lol:gossip: Richie uses the other grading company.

Yep, that irony is self-apparent. Of course, the other company's label doesn't differentiate conserved from unrestored by label color which may be his rationale for going that route. That said, the CGC's Conserved label provides tacit vindication of his POV (i.e. cover), allowing him another option should he choose to submit repaired books that fall under the Conserved label's guidelines.

In short, both labels are probably a win/win from Ritchie's perspective. :gossip:

Yep, that irony is self-apparent. Of course, the other company's label doesn't differentiate conserved from unrestored by label color which may be his rationale for going that route. That said, the CGC's Conserved label provides tacit vindication of his POV (i.e. cover), allowing him another option should he choose to submit repaired books that fall under the Conserved label's guidelines.

In short, both labels are probably a win/win from Ritchie's perspective. :gossip:

:gossip: Actually, it all boiled down to dollars and sense. His expensive books just sat around too long without selling. Certification has changed that somewhat for him.