• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comments on CAF?

95 posts in this topic

Yeah, it makes me sad to see art without Descriptions - image, description, comments. That's the CAF doing its job.

A lot of the descriptions are puffery, frankly. Some of them are great and personal and wonderful to read but some of them just try to make the piece sound better than it is . If someone has a genuine and personal story it is a pleasure to share in it but I sure dont want to read a text wall of mental fapping.

Yeah, it makes me sad to see art without Descriptions - image, description, comments. That's the CAF doing its job.

A lot of the descriptions are puffery, frankly. Some of them are great and personal and wonderful to read but some of them just try to make the piece sound better than it is . If someone has a genuine and personal story it is a pleasure to share in it but I sure dont want to read a text wall of mental fapping.

I have read a few rather long descriptions that, about half way through, made me wonder if the piece was being primed for an auction or something .... which caused me to lose some interest in reading.

BUT, the art is still posted so it isn't that big of a deal to me personally. If the art is posted, it's all good!

Some collectors do great write ups. Eric DLS comes to mind. I enjoy when he posts new art. I would like to have a description 1/10 as nice as his when I post a piece.

I try to think of something to put in the comments section when I post something, but it doesn't always happen. Better to keep your comments nil and appear like a dummy than to write something asinine and remove all doubt. :makepoint:

I enjoy when someone takes a run-of-the-mill page and stretches to make it a true gem everyone else has overlooked.

"This page is the first time this artist drew this character wearing sunglasses. It is also the first time the character has used his left hand to hold the telephone. The artist really went out of the box doing the layouts on this rare gem" :tonofbricks:

I have read a few rather long descriptions that, about half way through, made me wonder if the piece was being primed for an auction or something .... which caused me to lose some interest in reading.

BUT, the art is still posted so it isn't that big of a deal to me personally. If the art is posted, it's all good!

I know what you mean, although I always thought of descriptions like that as more... trying to hang with the big boys? Ie maybe I can't spring for an A page but What I lack in money I'll make up in words? I desperately want to impress others with my purchase?

I dunno. I like descriptions but I also appreciate that not every piece has one. A lot of times they aren't necessary.

I know what you mean, although I always thought of descriptions like that as more... trying to hang with the big boys? Ie maybe I can't spring for an A page but What I lack in money I'll make up in words? I desperately want to impress others with my purchase?

I dunno. I like descriptions but I also appreciate that not every piece has one. A lot of times they aren't necessary.

Reminds me of Steve Ditko's approach to his own art . . . let it speak for itself.

I enjoy when someone takes a run-of-the-mill page and stretches to make it a true gem everyone else has overlooked.

"This page is the first time this artist drew this character wearing sunglasses. It is also the first time the character has used his left hand to hold the telephone. The artist really went out of the box doing the layouts on this rare gem" :tonofbricks:

this is giving me an idea for my next piece!

and this ...

Some collectors do great write ups. Eric DLS comes to mind. I enjoy when he posts new art. I would like to have a description 1/10 as nice as his when I post a piece.

DLS also gives great comments on pieces showing their history and provenance. Looking back at it, it's amazing how many pieces he used to own, almost owned, and passed on before making it to a collector's collection.

I've left fewer comments than I thought - just 799. It's always something that I either would love to have in my own collection, or I appreciate the story behind its acquisition.

This shouldn't bug me, but it does. There is one exceptional gallery on CAF whose owner has never bothered to leave 1 comment. I'm not so self-centered that I'm offended that the individual hasn't commented on anything of mine -- to each his own. But hundreds of pieces of art with probably thousands of comments, and you can't bother to participate yourself? I've stopped commenting on pieces in this gallery, though I have left plenty of comments there in the past. I still look at this person's amazing art and enjoy it, but if you don't make the slightest effort to be part of the interaction, then why should I bother?

My CAF

I've left fewer comments than I thought - just 799. It's always something that I either would love to have in my own collection, or I appreciate the story behind its acquisition.

This shouldn't bug me, but it does. There is one exceptional gallery on CAF whose owner has never bothered to leave 1 comment. I'm not so self-centered that I'm offended that the individual hasn't commented on anything of mine -- to each his own. But hundreds of pieces of art with probably thousands of comments, and you can't bother to participate yourself? I've stopped commenting on pieces in this gallery, though I have left plenty of comments there in the past. I still look at this person's amazing art and enjoy it, but if you don't make the slightest effort to be part of the interaction, then why should I bother?

My CAF

You've got an awesome gallery, I could probably spend hours commenting on a majority of the pieces shown. :)

I've thanked people who've commented on my art in my CAF. :sorry:

I never thought about it being used to pump up the numbers. I guess I won't do it anymore.

Not that my entrees get a ton of comments, anyways.

I wouldn't say that I just did a quick scroll through your gallery, and saw a lot of cool things even left a comment on one piece I really liked.

Thanks ! :)

There is one exceptional gallery on CAF whose owner has never bothered to leave 1 comment.

My CAF

I find that weird too, and I know we often take our collections personally, but to me, comments are just comments. Some people leave them, some don't, and that's just how it is. I looked back on my total comments and it was 175 or something, much less than most here I guess. I comment when I feel it. I'd rather have fewer comments that were more genuine that a bunch of spammy attaboys? I just think there's so much room for such different takes on leaving comments that there is no need to get worked up IMO.

I don't know which gallery owner you mean (although I remember noticing this too so I have a suspicion but can't recall)... but for all we know someone has an underling administrate CAF for them. Not my reality but someone who is over the top extremely busy... why not?

Personally, I don't like to go to in-depth in my descriptions. Maybe a paragraph or two about where it came from and what it is.

The facts about a piece are interesting to me; the gallery owner's meticulously detailed recontextualization of that piece of art as part of his early twenties, followed by a detailed ranking of where it fits in his personal top 75 works of comic art...not so much. Also, people seem to forget that they're posting comic book art. We don't need a conceptual analysis of the piece's place in contemporary art historical discourse.

Most super-verbose CAF descriptions are cringe-worthy, IMO. I think I have 2 or 3 pieces in my gallery where I typed more than 100 words and I'm scared to re-read them at this point. Most of the time the description says more about the collector than the art.

As for comments...I think everyone wants their tastes validated by other CAF members to some extent. But the funny thing is, we all know what everybody's tastes are already anyway. It's just a big circle jerk. But a fun one!

DLS also gives great comments on pieces showing their history and provenance. Looking back at it, it's amazing how many pieces he used to own, almost owned, and passed on before making it to a collector's collection.

Love Eric's comments/descriptions on CAF. We have struck up several offline conversation as a result.

Love Eric's comments/descriptions on CAF. We have struck up several offline conversation as a result.

No doubt. Eric packs a ton of detailed information in his comments you'd normally never expect to see there.

There is one exceptional gallery on CAF whose owner has never bothered to leave 1 comment.

My CAF

I find that weird too, and I know we often take our collections personally, but to me, comments are just comments. Some people leave them, some don't, and that's just how it is. I looked back on my total comments and it was 175 or something, much less than most here I guess. I comment when I feel it. I'd rather have fewer comments that were more genuine that a bunch of spammy attaboys? I just think there's so much room for such different takes on leaving comments that there is no need to get worked up IMO.

I don't know which gallery owner you mean (although I remember noticing this too so I have a suspicion but can't recall)... but for all we know someone has an underling administrate CAF for them. Not my reality but someone who is over the top extremely busy... why not?

And to be clear, it's not like I was going through galleries looking to see who comments and who doesn't. I've used the comments made by people with collections I admire as a diviner to find other stuff I'd enjoy seeing. It just jumped out at me to see this particular collector has never commented on anyone else's gallery.

And thanks for the kinds comments. I've been fortunate.

I hate to sound.. snobby but it can also be a function of how many pieces you have.

I still acquire the occasional piece that is truly special to me (including a big one on the way!) but usually I buy a page because I enjoyed the comic when I read it and the price of the OA was reasonable. In rare occasions I just thought that the page was pretty without reading the comics (those pages tend to go first during vulture sales..)

So that's pretty much what I have been putting in my descriptions ("another great page from a great read!"). What else can I really say?

Malvin