• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Tragedy

6 posts in this topic

Maybe not tragic but unfortunate.

I decided to buy a fairly inexpensive All-American Men of War off Amazon. Although it was a middling grade it was the second highest known grade and was selling for less than $100 so grabbed it up. When I received it in the mail I was surprised. Rather than send it in a box it was sent in a large envelope and bookended with two pieces of thick cardboard. There is a reason every other CGC comic I've received has been sent in a box and it became evident the moment I opened the envelope. There was a two inch crack in the upper portion of the case and a massive crack spanning the entire bottom of the case. I could literally pry apart the case and touch the comic.

Luckily the seller was super cool and not only refunded me the full amount but didn't even ask for the comic back since the case was ruined. I felt bad and I would have given her some nice feedback if Ebay had allowed me but I guess they don't do that on returns. I kept the comic in the broken case and I have it in my registry but it would have to be re-slabbed. I have no doubt the seller learned a valuable lesson.

See more journals by David Swan

I decided to buy a fairly inexpensive All-American Men of War off Amazon.

I felt bad and I would have given her some nice feedback if Ebay had allowed me but I guess they don't do that on returns.

Did you buy it on Amazon or eBay? ???

You should send her some of the refunded money back. You definitely deserved some compensation, but that really turned into a windfall for you.

If only the holder was damaged, but not the book, I'd agree with Sean Fingh - if there's anything left when all shipping costs and the CGC reholder fee have been subtracted.

You should send her some of the refunded money back. You definitely deserved some compensation, but that really turned into a windfall for you.

If only the holder was damaged, but not the book, I'd agree with Sean Fingh.

Definitely agree with Sean, I'd feel obligated to give the seller a solid 50% of the sale price.

Sounds like the OP got a very good deal on the book to begin with and due to a poor packaging job, and the seller being extraordinarily nice/naive....the OP not only got a refund but he got to keep the book.

All he needs to put out is a $15 reholder fee, the next time he sends books into CGC, and he has a SA slab worth about 10 times the reholder fee.