• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Joe Palooka fans out there??

23 posts in this topic

Not lately. I had a nice run at one point.

Torture/Commi covers of 66 and 67 are awesome and overlooked.

War Adventures of 68-75 are good too with 75 being one of the better Fiction House inspired covers.

Painted covers are cool but still a little stiff for my tastes. 94-100

I heard Kirby did issue 101 cover but likely not. Interiors maybe.

118 Giant can be a tough book in grade but not rare.

Watch out for faded colors similar to Fiction House too.

Some of the pinks in the skin tones tend to bleed into the interior cover where you see the red/pink which may bother you - it did me.

Check Heritage (or call them) if looking to buy a collection, as Steve Geppi committed his Harvey file copy collection of 500,000 books to have them sell off. Not sure if the Palookas sold already. Heritage would sell these Harveys in short box lots which was kind of cool.

Interesting stuff. Just started to learn about Fiction House. Didn't even realize there was a market for these types of books. From what I can tell there are some that are just extremely rare but I didn't know if there was any interest

I think I have a couple more early Harvey issues with S&K backup stories, but this later one is the only copy I could find a scan of. If the circulation claims in early issues are to be believed, Joe was really popular for a while there.

KGrHqFHJDEFBEQkIBQP7I7F260_57.jpg

That is a real cool period for Joe. I think I have a couple of wild torture covers from that era. I also like the "Joe Palooka Visits the Lost City". One of the thickest comic books I have ever seen. I think it is 160 pages and all one story.

I know I have some cool Joe Palooka premiums and pinback buttons.

I'm particularly fond of the “Miss Atomic Blonde of 1948”, would it be a stretch to call Ham Fisher's rather blocky, thick and masculine women “good girl art”?

There is also an interesting theme transition between Joe Palooka Comics #10 (May 1947) and the later Joe Palooka Comics #23 from August 1948. The earlier issue is still clearly rooted in the war era, in this case South Pacific and in fact includes a series of stories linked to the lead titled "I woke Jerry when I heard a terrific explosion!" that includes Hitler as a character. Whereas the later features the more enchanting lead story of “The Big Bathing Beauty Contest.”

image1168.jpg

image1167.jpg

image1170.jpg

this later one is the only copy I could find a scan of. If the circulation claims in early issues are to be believed, Joe was really popular for a while there.

That's the only Joe Palooka I have a copy of...and yours is nicer than mine :cry::makepoint:

joepalooka73_f.jpg

I'm particularly fond of the “Miss Atomic Blonde of 1948”, would it be a stretch to call Ham Fisher's rather blocky, thick and masculine women “good girl art”?

There is also an interesting theme transition between Joe Palooka Comics #10 (May 1947) and the later Joe Palooka Comics #23 from August 1948. The earlier issue is still clearly rooted in the war era, in this case South Pacific and in fact includes a series of stories linked to the lead titled "I woke Jerry when I heard a terrific explosion!" that includes Hitler as a character. Whereas the later features the more enchanting lead story of “The Big Bathing Beauty Contest.”

image1168.jpg

image1167.jpg

image1170.jpg

Miss Atomic Blonde is so cool! I'll have to look out for that issue.

this later one is the only copy I could find a scan of. If the circulation claims in early issues are to be believed, Joe was really popular for a while there.

That's the only Joe Palooka I have a copy of...and yours is nicer than mine :cry::makepoint:

joepalooka73_f.jpg

Of course, I should have known you would have the issue with the motorcycle cover. Someday you are going to have to give us a group shot with all of those covers.