• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would you value a NM 98 CGC 9.8 with OW to W pages compared to WP?

95 posts in this topic

There is literally 0 dollars difference between copies with "white pages" on the label versus those with "off white white" so don't lose any sleep over it. (thumbs u

-J.

I am actually quite surprised about this, especially considering how board members seem to focus so much on PQ with the newer more common books like NM 98. :o

Good to know that it is basically a wash when it comes to white pages vs OW/W. (thumbs u

No reason to be surprised, as the Jaydogs post is absolutely inaccurate in every facet.

Jim

There is literally 0 dollars difference between copies with "white pages" on the label versus those with "off white white" so don't lose any sleep over it. (thumbs u

-J.

I am actually quite surprised about this, especially considering how board members seem to focus so much on PQ with the newer more common books like NM 98. :o

Good to know that it is basically a wash when it comes to white pages vs OW/W. (thumbs u

No reason to be surprised, as the Jaydogs post is absolutely inaccurate in every facet.

Jim

...so then feel free to post some recent sales links, like I did, to prove me wrong.

Oh wait... :eyeroll:

And, yes, while few copies of NM 98 seem to have "ow/w" pages on the label, there is absolutely no substantive or consistent difference in final prices realized either way. Any casual perusal of ebay sales bears this out, in spite of your needlessly snarky and unsupported assertions. (thumbs u

-J.

I wouldn't go near a CGC graded copy of NM #98 that didn't have white pages... the majority of the NM#98 copies available have WP... If your spending the money on a 9.6-9.8 why would you settle for less than a WP copy when there so easy to come by...?

I wouldn't go near a CGC graded copy of NM #98 that didn't have white pages... the majority of the NM#98 copies available have WP... If your spending the money on a 9.6-9.8 why would you settle for less than a WP copy when there so easy to come by...?

Because many collectors know that there is in fact no actual discernible difference between the two and that CGC is notoriously wishy washy about the "PQ" they put on a label, probably because of that very reason.

Also, some collectors just don't care about any of it and just want a nice looking copy of the book.

-J.

-J.

Jim

...so then feel free to post some recent sales links, like I did, to prove me wrong.

And, yes, while few copies of NM 98 seem to have "ow/w" pages on the label, there is absolutely no substantive or consistent difference in final prices realized either way. Any casual perusal of ebay sales bears this out, in spite of your needlessly snarky and unsupported assertions. (thumbs u

-J.

.... using past sales of OW/W versus White copies may be misleading. Unfortunately, it is the only "data" related comparison available if one wishes to focus on that aspect. While many collectors do care for the best PQ that they can get at the time, there are also other considerations, such as QP (Quality of Production) and venue loyalty (.... or avoidance) that can also have a significant impact on the final price. An ugly or overgraded book may sell for less no matter what the PQ is.... and at present, there is no way to quantify those other aspects of a books desirability. I love books that truly have white pages and will pay a bit more..... providing the rest of the book is also adequate. To rely strictly on data can be disingenuous when so much of the item's appeal is aesthetic, and can vary from person to person. Other factors will also affect pricing data, such as time of year, current economic conditions, number of interested parties, and of course, scarcity of the book with top PQ. Trying to simplify or generalize based on pricing data can be dangerous.... as each copy is different and it's desirability should be assessed in a cumulative manner. 2c GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

-J.

Jim

-J.

.... using past sales of OW/W versus White copies may be misleading. Unfortunately, it is the only "data" related comparison available if one wishes to focus on that aspect. While many collectors do care for the best PQ that they can get at the time, there are also other considerations, such as QP (Quality of Production) and venue loyalty (.... or avoidance) that can also have a significant impact on the final price. An ugly or overgraded book may sell for less no matter what the PQ is.... and at present, there is no way to quantify those other aspects of a books desirability. I love books that truly have white pages and will pay a bit more..... providing the rest of the book is also adequate. To rely strictly on data can be disingenuous when so much of the item's appeal is aesthetic, and can vary from person to person. Other factors will also affect pricing data, such as time of year, current economic conditions, number of interested parties, and of course, scarcity of the book with top PQ. Trying to simplify or generalize based on pricing data can be dangerous.... as each copy is different and it's desirability should be assessed in a cumulative manner. 2c GOD BLESS...

Exactly....the only way to truly measure it would be to auction off two copies of the exact same book, with the exact QP, and one being white pages, and the other being ow/w. 99 times out of a hundred the white pager will sell for more.

Jim

-J.

Jim

-J.

Exactly....the only way to truly measure it would be to auction off two copies of the exact same book, with the exact QP, and one being white pages, and the other being ow/w. 99 times out of a hundred the white pager will sell for more.

Jim

Using your own now narrowed and highly qualified criteria, it still only took exactly three minutes to prove you wrong (again):

"OW/W"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-NEW-MUTANTS-98-CGC-9-8-1ST-DEADPOOL-/262281327671?hash=item3d112f7437%3Ag%3AQXEAAOSwu4BV0C1k&nma=true&si=4x1dlkWqkw018nq9YkZPEroyRHA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

"W"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mutants-98-CGC-9-8-/172094535192?hash=item2811a23618%3Ag%3A6fIAAOSwezVWuQew&nma=true&si=4x1dlkWqkw018nq9YkZPEroyRHA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

"OW/W"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-New-Mutants-98-CGC-9-8-First-Appearance-of-Deadpool-/331774526527?hash=item4d3f4d843f%3Am%3Am0X-kuxB574jAUQsM_d_rAA&nma=true&si=4x1dlkWqkw018nq9YkZPEroyRHA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

"W"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-New-Mutants-98-9-8-CGC-White-Pages-First-Appearance-of-Deadpool-/331774527546?hash=item4d3f4d883a%3Am%3AmA4Ggz28FRfewFKccUk_iIw&nma=true&si=4x1dlkWqkw018nq9YkZPEroyRHA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

As is plainly visible from the examples provided, in four auctions, that closed proximate to each other, the books finished within $15 dollars of each other either way, all well within the normal, typical closing price range of the book over the last two weeks.

In other words, no difference in price based on the so-called "PQ" on the label. At all. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

Jim

-J.

Jim

Using your own now narrowed and highly qualified criteria, it still only took exactly three minutes to prove you wrong (again):

"OW/W"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-NEW-MUTANTS-98-CGC-9-8-1ST-DEADPOOL-/262281327671?hash=item3d112f7437%3Ag%3AQXEAAOSwu4BV0C1k&nma=true&si=4x1dlkWqkw018nq9YkZPEroyRHA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

"W"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mutants-98-CGC-9-8-/172094535192?hash=item2811a23618%3Ag%3A6fIAAOSwezVWuQew&nma=true&si=4x1dlkWqkw018nq9YkZPEroyRHA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

"OW/W"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-New-Mutants-98-CGC-9-8-First-Appearance-of-Deadpool-/331774526527?hash=item4d3f4d843f%3Am%3Am0X-kuxB574jAUQsM_d_rAA&nma=true&si=4x1dlkWqkw018nq9YkZPEroyRHA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

"W"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-New-Mutants-98-9-8-CGC-White-Pages-First-Appearance-of-Deadpool-/331774527546?hash=item4d3f4d883a%3Am%3AmA4Ggz28FRfewFKccUk_iIw&nma=true&si=4x1dlkWqkw018nq9YkZPEroyRHA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

As is plainly visible from the examples provided, in four auctions, that closed proximate to each other, the books finished within $15 dollars of each other either way, all well within the normal, typical closing price range of the book over the last two weeks.

In other words, no difference in price based on the so-called "PQ" on the label. At all. (thumbs u

-J.

PQ is most influential in the pre 1970 books..... so I do see your point with this book. Me, I'd hold out for the white pager on a NM 98..... and there are others who do this as well..... so those influences are difficult to quantify, the "non bids". Believe it or not..... God help me..... I'm starting to want a copy of this book. Never thought I'd say that.... but then, I've long been a fan of NM 87..... so I suppose it was inevitable. GOD BLESS...

.... I must admit, this is the type of book where data analysis may actually be of genuine validity........

-J.

Jim

-J.

Jim

"OW/W"

"W"

"OW/W"

"W"

-J.

PQ is most influential in the pre 1970 books..... so I do see your point with this book. Me, I'd hold out for the white pager on a NM 98..... and there are others who do this as well..... so those influences are difficult to quantify, the "non bids". Believe it or not..... God help me..... I'm starting to want a copy of this book. Never thought I'd say that.... but then, I've long been a fan of NM 87..... so I suppose it was inevitable. GOD BLESS...

.... I must admit, this is the type of book where data analysis may actually be of genuine validity........

This must mean the sky is falling. lol:baiting:

-J.

-J.

Jim

-J.

Jim

"OW/W"

"W"

"OW/W"

"W"

-J.

This must mean the sky is falling. lol:baiting:

-J.

Oh, it fell............. :gossip: I have a small stack of Walking Dead..... I LOVE the Quitely variant on #100....... and the 69 :cloud9: GOD BLESS...