• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the responsibility of a convention organizer?

113 posts in this topic

here's what I want that hasn't been mentioned

make sure the room isn't freezing

don't over charge the door nor the tables/booths

make sure the place is clean and has parking

Actually... make sure that the room is freezing.

Warmer rooms mean that people sweat. Sweat = stank.

Actually, I will take cold over warm any day of the week. The carbo show is notoriously warm. They were talking about it in the event thread for it. I usually go in without a jacket and just a hoodie since it is too warm for a jacket and I don't want to carry it around.

Actually... make sure that the room is freezing.

Warmer rooms mean that people sweat. Sweat = stank.

Actually, I will take cold over warm any day of the week. The carbo show is notoriously warm. They were talking about it in the event thread for it. I usually go in without a jacket and just a hoodie since it is too warm for a jacket and I don't want to carry it around.

I was freezing at the last show. I agree cool is cool but I hated being cold.

Show me great books at competitive prices and I will shop. If not I will move on and go where I can find what I want.

I agree. I budget some comic money into my expenses, and if I don't find what I'm looking for, then I'll keep it and spend more at the local shop. I'm sure they could find almost anything I'm looking for anyway.

Having said that, the boardies I've bought from at shows have all been super cool, and I'll definitely go back to their booths in the future.

The responsibility of a convention organizer is make sure every book you bring sells, or buy them himself at the end of the show.

Show me great books at competitive prices and I will shop. If not I will move on and go where I can find what I want.

I agree. I budget some comic money into my expenses, and if I don't find what I'm looking for, then I'll keep it and spend more at the local shop. I'm sure they could find almost anything I'm looking for anyway.

Having said that, the boardies I've bought from at shows have all been super cool, and I'll definitely go back to their booths in the future.

Not a lot of bargains, necessarily, on more expensive books, unless you find a dealer who wants to make a quick flip on books he acquired at the show.

There's also the advantage of being able to actually look at the books in hand, which should be worth at least some (small) premium. A couple of years ago, I almost bought a high-dollar GA pedigree from a dealer online, but since he was going to bring the book to a show in a few weeks, I waited. I'm glad I did, because in hand the book was darker and less attractive than his (tweaked) online scan.

The responsibility of a convention organizer is make sure every book you bring sells, or buy them himself at the end of the show.

I want to be younger and better looking when I walk out the door than I was when I walked in. :sumo:

Not a lot of bargains, necessarily, on more expensive books, unless you find a dealer who wants to make a quick flip on books he acquired at the show.

There's also the advantage of being able to actually look at the books in hand, which should be worth at least some (small) premium. A couple of years ago, I almost bought a high-dollar GA pedigree from a dealer online, but since he was going to bring the book to a show in a few weeks, I waited. I'm glad I did, because in hand the book was darker and less attractive than his (tweaked) online scan.

True... but like I said... don't raise your prices just because you are in NY. This is the internet age. You don't want to bargain down to your advertised internet price. Ok... your loss.

There was a guy selling Masterpiece Transformers at NYCC. They would not lower their price to the price on eBay. Ok then, fine. I waited a week and bought it on eBay AND it came with free shipping. Their double loss.

The organizer of the Grand Rapids Con was set up at a show I also did yesterday.

I talked to him a lot about his show, and he was surprised that so many dealers didn't do well. He said (and rightly so) that he was generally more concerned about how the show was running and not so much what people were spending their money on.

(He also laid out how much everything cost, and it was staggering.)

I told him I wasn't going to do the next one, and he offered me a free pass to get in and hoped that I would change my mind in the future. Nice guy; big show; just maybe not the show for me.

I just never understand it-con prices are like 120% above ebay-at least-without the guarantee....

and then 'dang how come no one's buying?'

Dealers need to start offering good deals at shows. Then people would buy more.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Like in any collectibles environment, there are good deals and bad deals to be had.

I can say -- without hesitation -- that I have very good prices on my books.

80% of ebay prices

Why would you do that? That's patently ridiculous.

So you're saying that I should sell the same copy to you for 20% less of what you could buy it for on eBay, plus you'd actually be able to see it and inspect it before buying it PLUS you wouldn't have to pay shipping.

More terrible advice from someone who obviously is not a dealer.