• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Predator directed by Shane Black (3/2/18)

157 posts in this topic

Too many pretty looking people.  That trailer did nothing for me:facepalm:.  The only reason I'm still holding out hope is because it's directed by Shane Black.

Here's the order from best to worse...

1.  Predator (Arnold) - Still one of the greatest, masculine, bad mf'er movie ever.  Not a single character that I didn't like...near perfect movie.

2.  Predators (Brody) - Loved the Predators, Adrien Brody was perfect in the role...supporting cast was horrible

3.  Predator 2 (Glover) - Had some cool moments but Danny Glover defeating a Predator was a stretch.  I know the Predator was in training but Glover was an out of shape cop.

4.  Every other Predator movie (vs Alien) - :sick::facepalm:

3 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Too many pretty looking people.  That trailer did nothing for me:facepalm:.  The only reason I'm still holding out hope is because it's directed by Shane Black.

Here's the order from best to worse...

1.  Predator (Arnold) - Still one of the greatest, masculine, bad mf'er movie ever.  Not a single character that I didn't like...near perfect movie.

2.  Predators (Brody) - Loved the Predators, Adrien Brody was perfect in the role...supporting cast was horrible

3.  Predator 2 (Glover) - Had some cool moments but Danny Glover defeating a Predator was a stretch.  I know the Predator was in training but Glover was an out of shape cop.

4.  Every other Predator movie (vs Alien) - :sick::facepalm:

This list is correct.

I was disappointed by the teaser trailer. On the one hand, it's giving off too much of a Predator 2 vibe.

On the other hand, I've never seen a Shane Black movie I didn't love -- and he probably knows Predator better than anyone.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

This list is correct.

I was disappointed by the teaser trailer. On the one hand, it's giving off too much of a Predator 2 vibe.

On the other hand, I've never seen a Shane Black movie I didn't love -- and he probably knows Predator better than anyone.

I got the Predator 2 vibe as well. I guess one of the characters in the new movie is the son of Gary Busey's character in Predator 2, so there is some connection.

10 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

This list is correct.

Shane Black is one of my favorite filmmakers. I haven't seen anything that was directed OR written by Shane Black that I didn't like. Lethal Weapon, The Last Boy Scout, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Iron Man 3 and The Nice Guys to mention but a few. And his plots are intricate - there's no way this (or any) trailer can convey the plot of The Predator. It'll be awesome. Some hated what he did with the Mandarin in Iron Man 3 but I thought it was genius and highly entertaining. It's actually one of my favorite MCU films and I thought Ben Kingsley/Guy Pearce were great as the "Mandarins." This bit of dialogue is perfect Tony Stark and a great indicator of Black's snarky but humorous writing:

Tony Stark: So, uhh, who's home?

Harley Keener: Well, my mom already left for the diner, and dad went to 7-Eleven to get scratchers... I guess he won, 'cause that was six years ago.

Tony Stark: Hmm... which happens, dads leave, no need to be a about it, here's what I need...

[pauses]

Tony Stark: A laptop, a digital watch, a cell phone, the pneumatic actuator from your bazooka over there, a map of town, a big spring, and a tuna fish sandwich.

Harley Keener: What's in it for me?

Tony Stark: Salvation. What's his name?

Harley Keener: Who?

Tony Stark: The kid that bullies you at school. What's his name?

Harley Keener: How'd you know that?

Tony Stark: I got just the thing.

[Stark ejects a flare canister from one of Mark 42's panels]

Tony Stark: This is a piñata for a cricket. I'm kidding, it's a very powerful weapon. Point it away from your face, press the button on top. It discourages bullying. Non-lethal, just to cover one's . Deal. Deal? What'd you say?

[Stark tries to make Harley grab the canister]

Harley Keener: Deal.

[Stark gives Harley the canister]

Tony Stark: What's your name?

Harley Keener: Harley. And you're...

Tony Stark: The mechanic. Tony.

[pauses]

Tony Stark: You know what keeps going through my head? Where's my sandwich?

5 hours ago, Kramerica said:

Shane Black is one of my favorite filmmakers. I haven't seen anything that was directed OR written by Shane Black that I didn't like. Lethal Weapon, The Last Boy Scout, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Iron Man 3 and The Nice Guys to mention but a few. And his plots are intricate - there's no way this (or any) trailer can convey the plot of The Predator. It'll be awesome. Some hated what he did with the Mandarin in Iron Man 3 but I thought it was genius and highly entertaining. It's actually one of my favorite MCU films and I thought Ben Kingsley/Guy Pearce were great as the "Mandarins."

Yes - all of this. He understands action movies (and how to subvert expectations by deconstructing them) in a way very few screenwriters do.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Three movies I really like. And the odd thing is when Kiss Kiss Bang Bang came out, I never even paid attention to it. But then I saw it on TV years later, and wanted to buy the blu-ray.

Have you seen The Nice Guys? It's not as good as Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang but it's still absolutely brilliant.

And showed Ryan Gosling can do comedy with the best of them.

24 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Have you seen The Nice Guys? It's not as good as Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang but it's still absolutely brilliant.

And showed Ryan Gosling can do comedy with the best of them.

Bought it! I really wanted to see a follow-up to this.

On 5/10/2018 at 11:14 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

The great action movies of the 80's and early 90's are gone forever imo.  I could probably name 20 possible leads from that era that I think might have worked in a true sequel to the first predator.  Nowadays you have Vin Deisel, The Rock, and Jason Mamoa, and that is really it.  There just isn't enough masculinity left in Hollywood to make these types of movies anymore.

3 hours ago, Von Cichlid said:

The great action movies of the 80's and early 90's are gone forever imo.  I could probably name 20 possible leads from that era that I think might have worked in a true sequel to the first predator.  Nowadays you have Vin Deisel, The Rock, and Jason Mamoa, and that is really it.  There just isn't enough masculinity left in Hollywood to make these types of movies anymore.

For big movies that's certainly true. There are tons of straight to video action flicks on all of the streaming services,  those actors are great stuntman but can't carry a big blockbuster.

I am so out of the loop on these movies. Did anything ever come of that awesome cliff hanger where all I can recall was a spec ops team captured one of the Predator's weapon. It was delivered in a suit case to a big corporation and laid on the desk. And fade to credits......Was there ever a movie that built upon that plot or did it just end up being a one-off?