• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Predator directed by Shane Black (3/2/18)

157 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

I saw "Searching" over the weekend and loved it.  Truly original film in that the entire film follows the user interfaces of computers that John Cho uses to search for his missing daughter.

Is it one of those films with "unique" filming perspectives (like Blair Witch)?  Watching the trailer it seems like one of those kind of films.  I can't watch those...motion sickness:sick:.

That's why I've never seen Blair Witch or other films like it.

8 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Is it one of those films with "unique" filming perspectives (like Blair Witch)?  Watching the trailer it seems like one of those kind of films.  I can't watch those...motion sickness:sick:.

That's why I've never seen Blair Witch or other films like it.

Avoid "Hardcore Henry" at all costs then.

26 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Is it one of those films with "unique" filming perspectives (like Blair Witch)?

Blair Witch is found footage, i.e. someone holding a cam corder that shakes with the person's hand motion.  It's the hand shaking that gives some people motion sickness.  Cloverfield was like that too.  "Searching" isn't a found footage film, it's a steady camera pointed at the screen of computers and smartphones belonging to John Cho's character, his wife, and his daughter.  When you see them or other characters in the film it's because you're looking at video they took of each other, FaceTime, or other online social media involving video.  Examples of all that are shown in the trailer.

Edited by fantastic_four

8 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The only positive news I can say about Predator now is Disney now owns Predator, so if there is next one Disney will be behind it.

:wishluck:

Predator vs Donald Duck

Saw this with "Searching" on a double feature night.  Searching was good, Filming style may not be for all, but worked well in this film.

Predator was terrible.  It is such a shame that a movie with such a following can be made so badly.  The characters were so unbelievably bad, like watching a failed casting of the A team.  10 minutes into the movie I was already thinking it was a waste of time, most of the time that judgement gets held until the end of a movie.  Dont get me wrong, I am not a movie snob, but Predator is atrocious.  Sadly, this movie shouldnt have been made. 

I had high hopes for this one once I realized Shane Black was back on board, but word of mouth has been pretty damning. Still going to give it a try this weekend. Not sure why, I guess out of the same misguided love for the first movie which also lead me to sit through Predator 2, AvP, AvP: Requiem and Predators. You'd think at some point I'd learn my lesson. Oh well, off to the cinema!

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I had high hopes for this one once I realized Shane Black was back on board, but word of mouth has been pretty damning. Still going to give it a try this weekend. Not sure why, I guess out of the same misguided love for the first movie which also lead me to sit through Predator 2, AvP, AvP: Requiem and Predators. You'd think at some point I'd learn my lesson. Oh well, off to the cinema!

I think with every single Predator sequel, your time would have been better spent just watching the first predator movie again.  Two future governors! and Oscar-Nominated!  You could really FEEEELLL the jungle in that movie.  AVP is my second favorite out of the bunch.

16 hours ago, revat said:

I think with every single Predator sequel, your time would have been better spent just watching the first predator movie again.  Two future governors! and Oscar-Nominated!  You could really FEEEELLL the jungle in that movie.  AVP is my second favorite out of the bunch.

Oh, to be sure, I've watched Predator several times for every time I've seen the others. It may be my favorite Arnold picture, though Commando (which is totally nuts) can give it a run for its money.

I think Iron Man 3 should have told us enough that this new Predator wouldn't be that good. It's just Predator 1 and 2 for me. Predator 2 is a good movie. They couldn't go back to the jungle after Predator 1. I think the opening shot in Predator 2 is clever. As is the hot summer then future city environment. It's very 80s like the original Predator. The sort of feel most modern homage movies tend to miss.

Nostalgia made me pick up this movie tonight.

Watched the VHS of Predator exactly 30-years-ago on Christmas Eve night (the greens and the reds, very Christmassy.)

We will see.

I always loved Predator and The Most Dangerous Game, I'm hoping this is as good as Predators at least.:wishluck:

If you set your expectations at zero and are slightly inebriated (Christmas Eve,) it's watchable trash.

It has some moronic plot devices, but...

Let's face it.  Even the original had cheese, Bill Duke's eulogy to the stars for Jesse Ventura and anything Sonny Landham did (he played basically the same character in "Action Jackson with a knife stand-off.)

I wouldn't buy it for more than $5, but I see me watching it again.  It wasn't the original cast of misfits, or the grunts from "Aliens," but they started to grow on you.

Olivia Munn had some funny action scenes, despite her character getting constantly knocked-out. 

I dunno, "shut your brain off, but not insulting entertainment" (AVP: Requiem.):/

Fred Dekker is best known for directing the cult classic 1987 film The Monster Squad, which he co-wrote with Shane Black. Then, last year, the duo teamed up again for The Predator. Speaking to Moviefone, Dekker spoke about why The Predator didn’t work..

In the interview, Dekker explained that, in their version of The Predator, the Predators came to Earth armed with hybrids of their race and other aliens that they planned to unleash and take over the planet. In the third act though, those Predators decided to try and work with humans to solve the problem while an upgraded Predator (which is still in the final movie) battled them all. The upgraded Predator was going to release all the hybrids and turn them against everyone, resulting in a huge action scene. Dekker explained that removing this core idea of the movie he and Black wrote ended up being extremely detrimental to the final product.

"Shane storyboarded it. And we had a pre-viz and animatics and it was I think a really cool idea. At some point or another, the studio, I think, and I’m not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, but there were these misgivings that we were straying too far from what people expected the movie to be. And so we sat down and went, “I guess we need to do a hunt and it needs to be at night, so it’s scarier.” So we ended up going in that direction, which I don’t think served us because it didn’t top anything we’d seen before. I’m actually quite pleased with the first half of the movie, but it kind of goes off the rails by, and Hollywood does this all the time by, trying to appeal to everyone, you appeal to no one."

He also talked about the desire to get Arnold Schwarzenegger into the movie—but that ultimately, because there wasn’t a guarantee that a sequel would happen, it simply wasn’t feasible.

"We very much wanted him in the film but what we had written was a cameo that would have spring-boarded into a major role in any sequel. He decided it wasn’t enough of a role and nobody was willing to put money on the possibility of a sequel. He would be taking a pay cut. He would have said, “Come with me if you want to live.” Shane had a talk with Arnold but at the end of the day, the sequel wasn’t a done deal and this is really not a lot of screen time for Arnold to go and fly to Canada and do a half day."

Oh, and they wrote versions of the ending where both Ripley and Newt from Aliens were in it, though neither ever got much further than the page.

Now that this falls under the Disney umbrella, I wonder if they relaunch the entire franchise to get things cooking again. This sounds like it could have been interesting.