• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stolen comic books

37 posts in this topic

So, you finished law school huh Kav?

lol

As a matter of fact my buddy who is a lawyer sent me that when I asked him about it.

1. That's California law (not applicable to OP).

2. Read the next subsection or two

3. lol

Hey, He never said his friend was a GOOD lawyer.

So, you finished law school huh Kav?

lol

As a matter of fact my buddy who is a lawyer sent me that when I asked him about it.

1. That's California law (not applicable to OP).

2. Read the next subsection or two

3. lol

Hey why does the excerpt say "US Code' if it's Ca law and how can a federal crime be a state crime??

I think the cite you posted was: CHAPTER 5. Larceny [484 - 502.9] ( Chapter 5 enacted 1872. )

That's California Penal Code. Cue Hector in 3... 2...

I was talking about the second citation....he asked about what happens if a postal worker steals mail and is it a federal crime....

The package that contained 9 books was intended for Comiclink. I dropped it in Priority Mail bin inside the lobby of my local post office (I never had a problem since 2009) before the final cutoff time at 6pm.

The USPS postal worker apparently didn't scan the tracking number. It went straight to Chicago Metro Hub before it was destined for Comiclink. The tracking number was never scanned or updated. It went missing since January 8. I reported it as the lost mail so they were trying to recover it. Never found. How could they miss the 16 x 12 x 6 box size that weighed 13 pounds?

From what I learned from the eBay sellers, they bought 8 books from the seller via PayPal. That person who sold them lives in Chicago (I have her name). I knew my books were stolen. I have two theories: USPS worker(s) may walk with my books from Chicago Metro Hub without being noticed OR they might replace my label with their label so it might go to their address in Chicago without being caught.

Literally, that thief was stupid to leave us the easy leads. PayPal and US Postal Investigation teams will find them. I have not heard anything from USPS but I really hope they make a quick process.

My books were ended up in Maine. Ironically, the eBay seller lives 10 miles away from Comiclink. I know him so well so my books were in good hands. He personally brought my books back to Comiclink and hopefully he will get the money back from PayPal.

I don't have the full story yet until the case is solved. I needed to know what happened to my ninth book.

Slapping a new label on a box sitting in a pickup bin is a new one on me. Clever and evil at the same time.

Hand your package over the counter to a postal employee, period. Not in their truck, at the post office, ask them to scan it. Period.

I am so happy you got most of your books back. That must be a huge relief. I am sure the authorities will find out where the last book went from this dope of a thief. I hope he has some money so you could sue him (or her) civilly even if you don't recover the last book. That would be icing on the cake. Good luck!!

Yeah, I trusted them so long! Clerks are always slow. You are right but I am done with USPS.

The package that contained 9 books was intended for Comiclink. I dropped it in Priority Mail bin inside the lobby of my local post office (I never had a problem since 2009) before the final cutoff time at 6pm.

The USPS postal worker apparently didn't scan the tracking number. It went straight to Chicago Metro Hub before it was destined for Comiclink. The tracking number was never scanned or updated. It went missing since January 8. I reported it as the lost mail so they were trying to recover it. Never found. How could they miss the 16 x 12 x 6 box size that weighed 13 pounds?

From what I learned from the eBay sellers, they bought 8 books from the seller via PayPal. That person who sold them lives in Chicago (I have her name). I knew my books were stolen. I have two theories: USPS worker(s) may walk with my books from Chicago Metro Hub without being noticed OR they might replace my label with their label so it might go to their address in Chicago without being caught.

Literally, that thief was stupid to leave us the easy leads. PayPal and US Postal Investigation teams will find them. I have not heard anything from USPS but I really hope they make a quick process.

My books were ended up in Maine. Ironically, the eBay seller lives 10 miles away from Comiclink. I know him so well so my books were in good hands. He personally brought my books back to Comiclink and hopefully he will get the money back from PayPal.

I don't have the full story yet until the case is solved. I needed to know what happened to my ninth book.

Slapping a new label on a box sitting in a pickup bin is a new one on me. Clever and evil at the same time.

Hand your package over the counter to a postal employee, period. Not in their truck, at the post office, ask them to scan it. Period.

Yeah, I trusted them so long! Clerks are always slow. You are right but I am done with USPS.

I think the deal with USPS is understanding how to minimize risks. You can figure out how to reduce those risks by looking at the terms of private shipping insurance. If a priority mail package is insured for a couple of hundred bucks AND it requires a signature on delivery AND you had it to a postal clerk to get a scan & receipt, the package will get where it is going nearly all the time. Because it's to risky to steal and much less likely to get misplaced. That said, there comes value point where the above still isn't enough. At 4-5K or more in value, it's really best to register the package, where losses are almost unheard of. And insurance itself is relatively cheap.

Lots of talk of using other carriers - but it should be pointed out that UPS and FedEx both don't care much for shipping collectibles. And will not sell more than $1,000 of insurance on such. Private shipping insurance can be had for these carriers as well - but again you need to be familiar with the rules.