• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moisture bubbles in CGC slab?

26 posts in this topic

Has anyone seen moisture/condensation/air creating a slight bubble effect from inside a slab? I know they aren't air tight, so it's possible a touch of moisture collected inside the exterior shell? See the pic below - I don't think it's in the inner shell (on the comic), I think it's the exterior shell. You can sort of see the bubbling effect against the full moon.

Should I be worried about this? I just bought this book.

RAD526C020151214_12354.jpg

Edited by Feydaway

This comes up every once in a while-it's just an optical artifact.

Edited by kav

Has anyone seen moisture/condensation/air creating a slight bubble effect from inside a slab? I know they aren't air tight, so it's possible a touch of moisture collected inside the exterior shell? See the pic below - I don't think it's in the inner shell (on the comic), I think it's the exterior shell. You can sort of see the bubbling effect against the full moon.

Its not moisture. Its a tiny bit of air between the inner well and the outer well.

It does happen a lot...on probably half the books I get back. You can usually remove them by taking a backing board and carefully pushing it corner first into the gap on the sides of the case and maneuvering it around until it smooths out the bubbles.

I would be nervous about using a backing board for fear of damaging the book in the inner well. I suggest something lighter. An envelope works well for me.

It does happen a lot...on probably half the books I get back. You can usually remove them by taking a backing board and carefully pushing it corner first into the gap on the sides of the case and maneuvering it around until it smooths out the bubbles.

I would be nervous about using a backing board for fear of damaging the book in the inner well. I suggest something lighter. An envelope works well for me.

An envelope or just a plain piece of paper does the trick (thumbs u

That is just awful!!

How can you live with a book like that??

Luckily for you, I'm willing to take that monstrosity off your hands for a significantly reduced price.

It's just an effect from the plastic sleeve holding the comic coming into contact with the CGC case. It looks "oily"or maybe like condensation or water, but it's just the effect from two clear petroleum-based plastics coming in contact with each other.

I've fixed this as others have suggested. I just takes a piece of paper small enough to get through the side of the slab, but thick enough not to tear off inside the slab. It doesn't bother me, so I never do it with my own slabs, but I always look for it with slabs that I am selling.

I know some people find that word annoying and I don't quite understand why? Moist, someone said "this cake is so moist and fluffy, it's really delicious" and a few people looked in disgust and said "omg, I hate that word, moist, it's so yucky."

I don't get it, so I just :eyeroll: