• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHITE Pages....................................................A Poll

Do White pages affect your purchasing decisions ?  

876 members have voted

1. 1. Do White pages affect your purchasing decisions ?

416 posts in this topic

I'm a collector willing to pay more for a SA or early BA comic with white pages.

I also pay more for:

- excellent cover centering with staples right on the spine

- well-preserved white cover paper stock

- no edge shadows or tanning lines

- books that from appearance or provenance are almost certainly unpressed

I'm afraid the numbers don't support your existence, my friend :foryou:

I'm a collector willing to pay more for a SA or early BA comic with white pages.

I also pay more for:

- excellent cover centering with staples right on the spine

- well-preserved white cover paper stock

- no edge shadows or tanning lines

- books that from appearance or provenance are almost certainly unpressed

You don't exist.

Except that they don't all cancel each other out with a mean average of zero.

Given two identical books

1) most people will choose the book with the nicer PQ

2) some (many) people will pay more for the premium

Actually they very well might, given the fact that books that don't have "white pages" on the label very often sell for more than those that do for whatever reason that might be.

-J.

The question should probably be framed:

"If you have two otherwise identical copies, one with OW/W and one with White, would you pay more for the White pages?"

My answer is no, if I had to pay more.

If, however, they cost the same, I will always choose White, all other things being equal.

This is the question that needs to be asked. I am putting together a 9.8 W Bronze Age Fantastic Four set - I am not entirely sure that a copy of either 164 or 179 in 9.8 white currently exists. I have passed many times on 9.8 OW/W paged copies for this set. Yes, it is stupid, and yes, I'm label chasing.

Punked by Jerkfro!

I only had that moniker for about a week but people are still calling me Jerkfro :cloud9:

I'm just glad your twin Jerkbro never showed up.

That guy's a dee-yoosh.

hm

And, FWIW, at the 9.8 level, there most definitely is a premium paid for white pages. I don't have my data in front of me, but without question 9.8 White goes for more than 9.8 OW/W. Again, without data in front of me, but for Bronze books, somewhere in the 10-15% range is about right.

Time for some real life examples, pick your book - money is no object. :shy:

Which would you add to your collection?

AA7_9.4_zpsq2jpwzaa.jpg

AA7_9.6_zpsfmlaadhq.jpg

sourced from the recent wrap thread

I would take the 9.4 all day, it just looks better to me 2c I subscribe to buy the book not the label

White pages could be cream to off white pages on any given day.

The chances of that happening are very rare.

True, but it could easily go to OW/W and "poof" goes the premium you paid for white pages.

Time for some real life examples, pick your book - money is no object. :shy:

Which would you add to your collection?

AA7_9.4_zpsq2jpwzaa.jpg

AA7_9.6_zpsfmlaadhq.jpg

sourced from the recent wrap thread

I would take the 9.4 all day, it just looks better to me 2c I subscribe to buy the book not the label

Are they the same price?

The 9.6.

Are they priced for the grade?

The 9.4.

But, that really brings up the madness that this market is embroiled in, where tiny differences in preservation equal enormous differences in price percentages.

White pages could be cream to off white pages on any given day.

The chances of that happening are very rare.

True, but it could easily go to OW/W one numerical grading unit lower and "poof" goes the premium you paid for white pagesthe higher numerical grade.

The modified part, too.

And, since the premium for the example with the higher numerical grade is a lot more than 10-15% above when graded lower, the variability in numerical grading is far more significant than that of page quality grading. Sure, you can see the cover features that went into the numerical grading somewhat from a scan or photo, but there have been too many times to count when a comic in hand looks to have been overgraded or undergraded by a unit.

Finally, it's important to remember that there are comics with snow white pages. These would grade each and every time as w and not ow/w, no matter how many times resubmitted. My lament is that CGC didn't (and still doesn't) denote these exceptional like-new pages from other examples that, on a given day or with a tired pair of eyes, might drop to ow/w.

Still not satisfied by the occasional wobble in page quality grading? Then find collections that sport white pages universally. That way, the 'white' designation on the label of a particular example from the collection gives confidence that the page quality is indeed exceptional.

Things to remember when deciding to pay a "premium" for a label that says "white pages":

1) CGC is notoriously random with their "PQ" designations - "white pages " today could be "off white" tomorrow and vice versa

2) It's "page quality" not "page colour". If someone remarks on how "white" pages "look" in a slab they are demonstrating a fundamental lack of understanding of how CGC assesses the "PQ" that they place on a label. "White pages" can be dirty and "brittle pages" can be bleached white, and none of it has anything to do with tanning

3) The "PQ" on the label is but a snap shot in time when the book is graded. Unless you know how the book was subsequently stored or cared for, or slabbed it yourself ,you don't even know what kind of "PQ" the book really has inside the slab by the time you purchase it

4) Slabs do not prevent deterioration of "PQ", even if stored in the most optimal of conditions and environments

5) Just because you decided to pay a "premium" for a book with "white pages " on the label doesn't mean the next person will as well should you decide to sell.

-J.