• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help me interpret these grader's notes

6 posts in this topic

I'm considering purchase of a major key that is restored (1.5, Moderate (B-3)) but presents very well for the grade. The masthead states:

"Restoration includes: pieces added to cover. (Spine of cover completely split & front cover detached.)"

The grader's notes state:

"Front Cover Large Lite Multiple Crease Breaks Color

Full Top Back Cover Lite Multiple Stain

[CGC registry #]

Spine Completely Split"

So if I read this correctly, the FC has a large piece fill as well as multiple light creases breaking color, and the entire top of the back cover has a piece fill and also has multiple light stains. Is that correct? I ask because this does not seem to match the back cover's appearance *at all*.

Also, is color touch mentioned if it only affects the piece fill? There does appear to be obvious CT on the back, but looks like it might only be on the piece fill.

Last question - is there any way to know if the piece fill is archival/removable?

I know that's a lot of questions, so thanks in advance for your responses. I'd post more info (like pics) but I'm afraid of someone snagging this out from under me ;)

This is really weird. The emailed notes have additional information vs. the "instant" notes on the CGC site:

"Piece fill cover (Archival material, average quality over 2" x 2") Cover B-5"

Now I understand that "Front Cover Large Lite Multiple Crease Breaks Color" refers to just the creases, and "Full Top Back Cover Lite Multiple Stain" refers to just the stains.

It also answers the archival question, in a positive manner. That should mean that all of the piece fill is reversible, right? And that there's no CT on the original book itself?

EDIT: These are the full notes:

Front Cover Large Lite Multiple Crease Breaks Color

Full Top Back Cover Lite Multiple Stain

Piece fill cover (Archival material, average quality over 2" x 2") Cover B-5

Spine Completely Split

The piece fill should be reversible. The notes don't mention any color touch to the book itself. BUT - assuming this greater than 2" by 2" piece replaced matches the cover - one might figure there is a small area where it is blended in.

When you reverse the resto, you are going to have a book with a split spine, quite large piece missing and lots of stains and creases. You won't keep the 1.5 grade. I think the book sounds like a good candidate for better restoration. Wash out the stains, rebuild the spine and reattach to the book. Color touch the creases.

The piece fill should be reversible. The notes don't mention any color touch to the book itself. BUT - assuming this greater than 2" by 2" piece replaced matches the cover - one might figure there is a small area where it is blended in.

When you reverse the resto, you are going to have a book with a split spine, quite large piece missing and lots of stains and creases. You won't keep the 1.5 grade. I think the book sounds like a good candidate for better restoration. Wash out the stains, rebuild the spine and reattach to the book. Color touch the creases.

I have the book now, so I have a little better insight because I can compare the notes with what I can see through the slab.

-The piece fill is only of average quality, so it either needs to be removed or re-done. The major fill is on the BC, (basically a torn off lower left corner), so it doesn't impact the presentation of the front of the book. The FC has minor piece fill that is basically just supporting some weak paper near the bottom edge of the FC. It might get away with just tear seals/support, but it's hard to know without removing the book from the slab.

-It looks like the only color touch is on the BC piece fill, just as a suggestion of what should be there. It doesn't appear to be blended into the actual book, but I suppose that there could be a tiny spot or two. The piece would have to be removed to know for sure.

-The staining is light enough that I can't even tell where it is.

-The color-breaking creases are very light with the exception of the spine ticks.

-The spine definitely needs to be rebuilt/supported. However, there appears to be little paper loss at the split, so that's good.

-I don't think that the book needs color touch, even if I go back with piece fill. To me, color touch is a last-resort technique where there is color loss or paper loss that significantly detracts from the viewing pleasure of the book (or the story, for interior pages). I don't see that for this book.

Overall, I think that the book is a good candidate to still look great if it's converted to a Conserved label, should I choose to have the piece fill converted to just seal/support. It might drop half a point in grade, but I'm okay with that if it gets a Conserved label. I'll have to discuss strategy with the restorer (conservator?) when the time comes.

Oh, and now that I have the book, I'm not afraid to share a pic:

25486232152_f3b0b80bfb_b.jpg

I knew that's what it was going to be :applause: congrats Winston. One of these days probably not till I retire I'll have one of those.

I knew that's what it was going to be :applause: congrats Winston. One of these days probably not till I retire I'll have one of those.

Thanks, Dwayne! I'm still staring at it :cloud9: Honestly, I wasn't quite ready to spring for a copy, but literally the perfect book popped up.