• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All Time Favorite Comic Story

70 posts in this topic

I want to add that perhaps no comics give me more joy than when picking up those collected Calvin and Hobbes books. I remember picking up Yukon Ho! as vividly as I do some personal grails, and the former was all about the read, which takes precedence to me.

Lots of stories over several decades, but as far as pure adolescent bliss, the GI Joe run from 21-29, including Silent Interlude, the capture and escape of Cobra Commander, introduction of Zartan, 2-part origin of Snake Eyes, etc. Even after I'd moved on to Batman, X-Men and other more "mature" comics in high school, I still carried the pocket-sized GI Joe Digest with issues 23 & 24 at the ready in my coat pocket.

Beyond the other Copper classics (Sin Eater, Kraven, Moore Swamp Thing, Miller DD), all of which are great, I got into X-Men around the Fall of the Mutants era, so the Genosha Saga (UXM 235-238) is also one of my favorites. I know lots of people slam this era as the point when X-Men jumped the shark, but that's when I joined in, so, for me, that was the pinnacle.

My jumping-on point with Sandman was with Issue 6, where Doctor Destiny kills some time in a diner waiting for Morpheus, so that's one of my favorite single issues, but Doll's House was my favorite arc (Dringenberg was the top Sandman artist, for me), with Season of Mists second,

And since I'm a big Batman fan, I'll throw in Morrison's first arc (655-658), the Under the Hood run from Winick, O'Neil and Adams's first Ra's al Ghul and Man-Bat arcs (stitched together), Son of the Demon and Killing Joke, which is probably my favorite stand-alone Batman story.

Can't believe I forgot them, but Alan Moores Superman trilogy- Whatever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow and For The Man Who Has Everything rank right up there with anything every written, imo.

My favorite story arc "Wolverine 66-72 "Old Man Logan" or Infinity Gauntlet

Monthly: The Walking Dead

I also enjoyed the comics with Scourge of the Underworld in them (there were several of them- Scourge's).

There are a lot of stories that now I, objectively, consider my favorites. But looking back... the books I remember having the biggest impacts on me when I read them right off the spinner racks as a little kid were:

Amazing Spider-Man #121 (and #122)

and Amazing Spider-Man #136 (and #137)

The death of Gwen/Goblin was just shocking to me... despite the cover warning! lol

But for those familiar with it, that two-page splash page in #136 when Harry first emerges as the new Goblin in the "abandoned" Goblin's lair ... I just loved it.

Oh shoot, two more.

These make the list as maybe not the BEST stories, but just the ones I was most excited for and therefore still think of with the most fondness. When it comes to collecting original art, for example, THESE are the books I have on the top of my want list at all times.

Superman vs. Spider-Man

What If #1

Too many to choose just one.......... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Batman: Year One

All Star Superman

X-Men 56-59

FF 66-67

SwampThing 21, 34, Annual 2

Conan Red Nails

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

Ronin

ASM 7 (shrug)

JIM 118-119

Superman 141

Strange Adventures 205-216

New Teen Titans.....many

Three way tie for me:

ASM 121-122 as mentioned previously are outstanding. The Goblin/Spidey rivalry hits it's apex and it's beautifully captured in John Romita Sr's consecutive, classic covers.

X-Men 141 & 142 is epic. The Days of Future Past movie was so-so but the two part story is phenomenal. It's one of the storytelling highlights of the late Bronze Age.

The Walking Dead #13-48 AKA the Prison Arc. For me this is where TWD transformed from another Zombie story to THE premier title of the modern age. It's dark, gritty and disturbing. 152 terrific issues in and for my money this remains the highlight of the run.

There are a lot of stories that now I, objectively, consider my favorites. But looking back... the books I remember having the biggest impacts on me when I read them right off the spinner racks as a little kid were:

Amazing Spider-Man #121 (and #122)

and Amazing Spider-Man #136 (and #137)

The death of Gwen/Goblin was just shocking to me... despite the cover warning! lol

But for those familiar with it, that two-page splash page in #136 when Harry first emerges as the new Goblin in the "abandoned" Goblin's lair ... I just loved it.

I agree with the 121/122 pick, I started buying in '77 with 176 being my first off the rack issue - so my first month to month read was the Bart Hamilton story line but at the time I didn't have 174/175 with the big hints about the GG not being Harry, so Harry was the Goblin I thought I was reading & the ASM run I'd traded for only went back to 126.

So much of that first year of collecting was seeing flashbacks to Goblin history pre-Harry and the impact Norman had - I had a bunch of Marvel Tales but they only covered from the Kingpin tablet story up to the Flash ShaShan story. :pullhair: When Marvel Tales 98 came out I bought a mittfull of them. :D

I was drooling when this page sold on heritage recently.

For grown-up me, it's All-Star Superman, Scalped and Y - The Last Man.

But for a guilty pleasure that hasn't been mentioned yet, I've got to go with Micronauts #1-12.

Can't believe I forgot them, but Alan Moores Superman trilogy- Whatever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow and For The Man Who Has Everything rank right up there with anything every written, imo.

I was just about to say that!