• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Offbeat DC Bronze Suggestions?

26 posts in this topic

I've been getting into offbeat, mostly non-hero DC Bronze titles like Hot Wheels, The Shadow, OMAC, etc. Anyone have any favorites among these shortlived series worth checking out? I mean what's the DC equivalent of a Devil Dinosaur or War Is Hell?

Thanks,

Mitch

So if you've seen Hot Wheels, you've probably come across the great Alex Toth story (-script and art) in #5. A classic!

Some others, among the non-costumed hero set:

- Stalker with art by Steve Ditko and Wally Wood.

- Sword of Sorcery with early Chaykin art (adaptations of Fritz Leiber's Grey Mouser series). The last issue (#5) also has early early early Simonson and Starlin art.

- Weird Worlds, first as an ERB adaptation book, later with Chaykin's Iron Wolf.

- "Hawk, Son of Tomahawk" in the final issues of the Tomahawk book. Frank Thorne art, with occasional "Firehair" backups by Kubert.

A little closer to the super-heroes would be:

- Phantom Stranger up to #26 with early Len Wein stories and great Jim Aparo art.

- Adventure 428-430 with Black Orchid written by the late great Shelly Mayer (DeZuniga art)

Slightly predating the Bronze Age would be:

- Secret Six (Who is Mockingbird?)

- Captain Action (ya, it's a toy book, so are Micronauts & Transformers, eh? Features excellent Gil Kane and Wally Wood art)

- Ditko's Beware the Creeper and Hawk & Dove (super-heroes)

- Bat Lash (Sergio Aragones plots! Denny O'Neil scripts! Nick Cardy art!)

And for an outstanding and very cheap super-heroes reading experience, pick through the early Bronze Age issues of Superboy for the first Legion of Super-Heroes revival featuring outstanding pre-X-Men art by Dave Cockrum:

Superboy 188, 190, 191, 193, 195, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202

Oh, and I can't in good conscious recommend either "Prez, the First Teen President" or "Brother Power the Geek," but one or the other might qualify as DC's "Devil Dinosaur." wink.gif

Cheers,

Z.

Actually some of us prefer Sinister House of Secret Love, particularly the Jeff Jones cover to #2

1982_4_002.jpg

and the other 2 of the series aren't bad either:

1982_4_001.jpg

1982_4_003.jpg

So there! tongue.gif

Z.

Dude, Gman. [!@#%^&^] NICE, MAN! Look at the centering! That's a MAGNIFICENT copy! Now... what's the grade? (I've given up on buying cgc'ed copies of these books... lol Raw is the way to go!)

But that's a spicy meat-a-ball! shocked.gifshocked.gif

Dude, Gman. [!@#%^&^] NICE, MAN! Look at the centering! That's a MAGNIFICENT copy! Now... what's the grade? (I've given up on buying cgc'ed copies of these books... lol Raw is the way to go!)

9.4 white pages. book is perfect....

G- That's amazing! You won't be seeing many more copies like that coming around! Too bad nobody recognizes how scarce that book is in high grade! mad.gif But congratulations! Did you get it CGCed yourself? And if so, where'd you find it??

I recommend Jonah Hex. Sure it's a western, but it has DC's best anti-hero, great writing, and great art. It's probably one of the best comics DC put out in the late 1970s and early/mid 1980s.

Stay away from the SF "Hex" though.