• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Much does a Green Label (Signed w/o Witness) Hurt A Book?

28 posts in this topic

I have a friend who recently called me asking about the "plastic casing" I get on my comics and if its worth it. He's a collector but only of Walking Dead due to the show, and has no idea about CGC slabbing. He had the chance to get a Kirkman sig at a convention sometime last year and he got a bunch of his books signed. I didn't have the heart to tell him this might have decreased the value as he'd be getting Green Labels.

I know its no PLOD, but I have to imagine a Green Label (even when clearly the creators signature) has to hurt the book's value quite a bit compared to a Yellow Label or maybe even a Blue?

I know its no PLOD, but I have to imagine a Green Label (even when clearly the creators signature) has to hurt the book's value quite a bit compared to a Yellow Label or maybe even a Blue?

Yes.

I don't think it would hurt the value here. People know what Kirkman's signature looks like.

Also, his books aren't graded anyway. Especially if he's collecting them rather than looking for resale, it probably wouldn't make sense for him to spend the extra $50 to have it Signature Series anyway.

I have a friend who recently called me asking about the "plastic casing" I get on my comics and if its worth it. He's a collector but only of Walking Dead due to the show, and has no idea about CGC slabbing. He had the chance to get a Kirkman sig at a convention sometime last year and he got a bunch of his books signed. I didn't have the heart to tell him this might have decreased the value as he'd be getting Green Labels.

Did he get them signed because he wanted books in his collection that were signed by the creator, or to increase their value?

Strange as it seem, but this guy was happy in his little world, enjoying is raw comics, meeting the makers, getting sigs, loving the show.....and then you came along :cry:

That poor sap had no idea he was living a lie.

Looks like #1s in Green 9.8 sold for 80% of universals, and about the same percentage for 9.6s

Issue #8 held similarly in the rare cases of a qualified sale (about 80% of blue value)

Did he get them signed because he wanted books in his collection that were signed by the creator, or to increase their value?

I'm pretty sure he wanted to one day have a full run, he's said things like "maybe I can use these to send one of my kids to college some day, or start a retirement fund" I'm pretty sure they were jokes though, I do now regret not telling him to get them Blue Labelled as soon as I heard how big his collection was. But he had them bagged/boarded/longboxed, and I know a plenty of guys who still like to do it that way, maybe top load/mylar the real keys.

Honestly I think he saw that he had the chance to get them signed by Kirkman and just jumped at it. He's a fan of the show first and foremost, not sure if he's read much of the series to be honest.

He just knows me as a guy who collects comics, and asked me how I store mine.

I def. do feel bad about popping his bubble by telling him about signature witnessing, so I didn't even bring that up. I just mentioned I use a grading service. Really don't want to or plan to break the news to him about the price drop.

Strange as it seem, but this guy was happy in his little world, enjoying is raw comics, meeting the makers, getting sigs, loving the show.....and then you came along :cry:

That poor sap had no idea he was living a lie.

He always just said "i collect walking dead comics because i love the show, i've never bought another comic in my life." So I kind of was a bit of a snob and never really talked to him much about colleciting/CGC etc.

If I had known he had 1-10 raw, I would have absolutely had him get them submitted.

Is it time for another round of "Why won't CGC verify unwitnessed signatures?"

:banana:

No need for that, I fully understand why SS is witnessing service not verification. Don't want to start that debate, I think CGC SS is great.

If he bought them all for cover price originally, he's still probably still pretty far ahead in the numbers game. But if one was really interested, they should attempt to compare values of sigs VERIFIED by other companies and CGC green labels, but the extra grading cost (plus shipping!) involved likely won't make either one of those worth it unless they are stone cold 9.8 locks, and even then....

He should just eave them alone, and enjoy them as is.

If he ever wants to sell them, revisit it then.

I've got a Tick copy signed by 33 artists and editors/various contributors to the comic and I could care less that it's got a green label. I know those sigs are genuine and that's good enough for me

I've got a Tick copy signed by 33 artists and editors/various contributors to the comic and I could care less that it's got a green label. I know those sigs are genuine and that's good enough for me

(thumbs u

get em verified at 25 a pop with the "other" guys.

giphy.gif