• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is the Captain America Timely biggest expert?

13 posts in this topic

So picked up two ad pages for Cap golden age which I thought would be cool to display but got curious which books they came from (link of ebay purchase below.) the war stamps ad looks to be from Captain America comics #21 if my research is correct (please correct me if not.) The "Sentinel of Liberty" ad is where I can guess but can not nail down the exact book. So, as title mentioned- looking for the expert who Timely Captain America knowledge to help me out and identify which book this ad came from. Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262314954332

The clues are on the back side of each ad...

The Squat Car Squad is from Joker Comics, not sure which issue, but it would have been between 2-8.

The Krazy Fun-Fest Page is from Krazy Comics. Probably 4, 5, or 6.

The "wake up Americans" Cap ad is the inside BC of USA 7 (Feb 1943), so my guess is those ads are from the late 1942-early 1943 era. Cap 21 has a cover date of Dec 1942, so that fits your research as well. The "tops" Cap ad is the inside BC of Torch 8 (Summer -June 1942), so that clearly supports the ads are 1942-43. Not sure which particular books those color ads are from. Both the USA 7 and Torch 8 inside BC ads were black and white.

So picked up two ad pages for Cap golden age which I thought would be cool to display but got curious which books they came from (link of ebay purchase below.) the war stamps ad looks to be from Captain America comics #21 if my research is correct (please correct me if not.) The "Sentinel of Liberty" ad is where I can guess but can not nail down the exact book. So, as title mentioned- looking for the expert who Timely Captain America knowledge to help me out and identify which book this ad came from. Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262314954332

It appears two different artists worked on the ads. The Wake Up Americans! looks like Shores circa '43 ...

dd215e80-359f-48e9-aafb-8a202f35a5bd_zps0ba12aa7.jpg

I'm perplexed by the ad on the left in the ebay listing. hm

I don't think it was done by Shores because the styles are too dissimilar.

It could've been assigned to one of several artists who worked primarily on interiors around that time. My 2c

thanks Nearmint, the squat car squad to Joker comics is where my lead went dry. appreciate the help

25157007909_4c8d7bc98d_b.jpg

Atlas Tales lists a Captain America ad in Joker 5 (.Notes: "Tops In thrills! Mystery! Action! Comedy! Patriotism!" Includes coupon to join "Cap's Sentinels of Liberty"). :banana:

24894009634_42c9522cf1_b.jpg

I don't have very many Krazy Comics (yours could be 3, 4 or 5) or Ziggy Pig but I do have a few more Joker comics. Captain America made it to the back cover of Joker 1 and there is a Subby 4 ad on the other side.

Anyone know which submariner back cover has a cap add? I think its 7 or 8 but forgot to write it down...

James G

The inside back cover of Subby 6 has a Captain America ad. Subby 8 does not have a Cap ad. Don't know about 7.

The clues are on the back side of each ad...

The Squat Car Squad is from Joker Comics, not sure which issue, but it would have been between 2-8.

The Krazy Fun-Fest Page is from Krazy Comics. Probably 4, 5, or 6.

speaking of Squat Cars

new%20JOKER%20COMICS%202%20FIXED_zpsrmcl6ct6.jpg