• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

I saw it today with my wife expecting it to be terrible, but I actually liked it. Tom Hardy was perfect in the role IMO. The story/plot was just ok, but not on the Catwoman/F4 level I feared. I give it a B-. Hopefully the sequel will be much better now that the origin is out the way and the movie can start with Venom fully realized.

6 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

This was supposed to be the kickoff film for the new "Sony Universe" featuring surefire box-office smashes from the Spidey rogues gallery such as Morbius, Silk, Nightwatch, Jackpot, and the Black Cat.  Given that it's going about as well as Tom Cruise's "The Mummy" did in kicking off a brand-new Universal Monsters movie universe, it's difficult to see another film.  But hey, I never thought this one would get made, so what do I know.

I still think this deflates Sony's plans and forces multiple internal meetings about giving the production reins to Marvel Studios.  It should be painfully obvious by now that's what needs to happen.  :makepoint:  It might not simply because all of those planned movies clearly can't all be produced by one man.  Why they're even thinking about them at all baffles me though.  Morbius?  What a rip-off of a vampire that guy is.  He was lame even in the 70s, but now that there's a dozen other vampire properties he seems lame to the tenth power.  The only character with potential is Black Cat, but even she should start off in a Spidey film, not in her own, but that would put her in the Marvel Universe, so I guess that's not happening.

The whole concept of a new "Sony Universe" is lame piled on top of lame with an extra helping of lame on top.  :boo:  Didn't the "Sony Universe" start with the original Spider-Man film in 2002?  Or wait, maybe in 2012 when ASM rebooted it?  What is this yet another reboot since Homecoming semi-rebooted the last reboot?  All these reboots are making me dizzy.  :eek:  Any reboot at all is an admission that you're out of good ideas, but for this to be reboot #4 is just pathetic.  :facepalm:

Word.

Even to a group of 9 yr old Foomers of which I was one, Morbius was old school schlock.  Back then!  

A lame Bowie-esque take on a 70s vampire.  With wings! Yay. (Too early for Gene Simmons)

Venom- far more interesting, but Sony handles Marvel stories and characters with an eye on 'safeness' and that only leads to flaccidity. (Wait.  Is that a word? Is now.)

Hope Venom (the film vers) is good. Otherwise, I'll only refer to it as Vern. As in, Ernest Goes Symbiote.

One more thing.  Love seeing higher grade copies of ASM 101 go for big $$$.  Like seeing pet rocks and mood rings doing well! Ha.

5 hours ago, Bird said:

how does it change from Eddie's tongue to the Venom tongue? Or the teeth?

It isn't Eddie's tongue or teeth at all, all of that stuff on his face is the symbiote.  The trailer did a great job of letting you watch the symbiote form those features overlaid on top of Brock's face.

8 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:16 PM, fastballspecial said:

Just got back.

Good stuff
Venom Inner Voice with Eddie was great made the movie. 
Great special effects till the final fight.
Love the symbiotes talking to their host.
Venom's appearance grew on me over time.
Great humor parts in the movie
Tom Hardy is very good I think as Eddie Brock

Bad Stuff
Michele Williams was a bad fit I thought
It took too long to get to Venom in the movie I thought
I thought it was the wrong choice not to somehow tie in Spider-man.
The choose the Spider-man Adventures origin which might have been their only choice.
I would have liked to see some webbing somewhere.
The last end credit was ridiculously long.

Overall its not a bad movie, but Sony just fails to understand how Marvel does it right. 
It wasn't a home run or a stikeout more like a single or double. Some things worked while others didn't.

What did you think of the part when Hardy wigs out in the MRI machine as they showed in 1st trailer? No spoilers just if you liked it or not? I'm anxious to see happens there!

Not to give anything away, but there are 2 scenes right? Or is that second scene something else with Williams.

I liked the scene. I also liked how Venom talked about being a loser as well. 
One area I forgot to mention is pay attention to Venom's voice at the beginning. I had trouble hearing him
the first couple of time he spoke. Let me know if you have that issue too.

8 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Not to give anything away, but there are 2 scenes right? Or is that second scene something else with Williams.

One area I forgot to mention is pay attention to Venom's voice at the beginning. I had trouble hearing him

I think it's only one scene. I'm referring to the part where they're only showing Hardy from the neck up while he's in the MRI machine and he just starts going bonkers. It's a quick scene in the first trailer. No Williams just Hardy in the machine.

I think it has something to do with the symbiote having trouble with radiation from the machine.

35 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:
50 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I think it's only one scene. I'm referring to the part where they're only showing Hardy from the neck up while he's in the MRI machine and he just starts going bonkers. It's a quick scene in the first trailer. No Williams just Hardy in the machine.

I think it has something to do with the symbiote having trouble with radiation from the machine.

Its not the radiation that's the problem. Its the sound.

Just got back from seeing it with the wife. I liked it. Expected to not. Surprisingly the wife loved it. She has never read a comic in her life. She thought the symbiotic relationship was "adorable" and she liked the action scenes. I think despite the reviews, it will end up doing well. The reaction from people leaving the theater was positive. 

Tracking better than expected. Looking like a major hit now.

‘Venom’ Bound To Be In The Black With Marvelous $77M-$80M October Opening; 

https://deadline.com/2018/10/venom-a-star-is-born-weekend-box-office-lady-gaga-1202476614/

Refresh for chart Sony can breathe a giant sigh of relief as their Marvel-verse Venom is absolutely working at the domestic box office with what is now estimated to be an $77M-$80M weekend after a $32.3M Friday, both quite easily October records besting Gravity‘s $55.7M opening weekend and Paranormal Activity 3‘s opening day of $26.3M.

To put that 77-80 million in perspective is if that holds up that would beat Ant-Man and the Wasp which opened to 75 million.

I guess Venom is a lot more popular than people thought and his fans didn't care about what the Rotten Tomatoes score was.

lol.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

7 hours ago, LordRahl said:

Just got back from seeing it with the wife. I liked it. Expected to not. Surprisingly the wife loved it. She has never read a comic in her life. She thought the symbiotic relationship was "adorable" and she liked the action scenes. I think despite the reviews, it will end up doing well. The reaction from people leaving the theater was positive. 

From the article ComicConnoisseur just posted, 85% of women over 25 liked it!

Venom drew 68% males on PostTrak to 32% females, with 36% males over 25 the biggest group, followed by 32% guys under 25, 19% females over 25 (they loved it the most 85%; gotta be the Hardy factor), and females under 25 at 13%. Diversity breakdown is 36% Caucasian, 27% Hispanic,  19% African American, 11% Asian and 6% Other.

I hope these new estimates now hold so we can surely get a Carnage-centered sequel.

let me try that again; $80mm, pencil in Venom 2 for 2021

Venom has received a B+ CinemaScore which put it with some interesting company. The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Justice League, Spider-Man 3, and Suicide Squad all received the same verdict when they were released. That's not the best company but those movies all have their fans and Venom has managed to beat Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice's B.

Edited by paperheart

The making of the infamous Lobster scene:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2018/10/06/venom-star-tom-hardy-ate-candy-lobster-instead-live-one/1517204002/

This film worked because you had an Oscar-caliber actor turning the amp to 11.

And from USA Today: And so the actor went full bore. For months before filming, Hardy would workshop Venom's voice, playing with recordings on GarageBand at home while sending paintings and drawings of the symbiote to director Ruben Fleischer. "He was just obsessed with it," Fleischer says.

On the set, it was Hardy's idea to jump into an ice-cold tank of lobsters, mining a restaurant scene for comedy. "Most actors, you’d pose to them you’re going to have to get in the lobster tank, and they’d balk at it," Fleischer says. "He initiated it." 

Edited by exitmusicblue