• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

Just now, exitmusicblue said:

Zero guarantee; the resources needed to track this would be exhorbitive.  But I’ve found the audence reviews match the %, are diverse beyond fanboys, so I’m satisfied.

I was thinking more about early in a film's release versus a film like Crazy Rich Asians that has been out for a while.  On the first few days of release you can assume that diehard fans of existing properties will comprise the majority of votes, but a few weeks after release people who had no exposure to Venom will have their votes mixed in too.

1 minute ago, exitmusicblue said:

Light years better than Spidey 3’s Venom was my reaction.  C h r i s t, that was bad.

They could’ve made his sheen more like the dull of Bat armor, but something about the slippery sliminess seemed much more alive, fwiw.

As someone who hasn’t been pumping this movie for months, hopefully my words carry some objectively-meant heft.

Thanks, I am looking forward to seeing it. Perhaps the addition of movement on screen will take away the "statue" look I keep seeing in the stills posted. (thumbsu

Just now, Artboy99 said:

Thanks, I am looking forward to seeing it. Perhaps the addition of movement on screen will take away the "statue" look I keep seeing in the stills posted. (thumbsu

Did it look that way to you in the trailers?  I get what you're talking about--I thought something similar about Hulk in the 2003 Hulk film--but I didn't notice that in the Venom trailers.

4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Did it look that way to you in the trailers?  I get what you're talking about--I thought something similar about Hulk in the 2003 Hulk film--but I didn't notice that in the Venom trailers.

I have not actually seen any of the trailers, but I will check them out later. I felt the same about both Hulk films.

Edited by Artboy99

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I was thinking more about early in a film's release versus a film like Crazy Rich Asians that has been out for a while.  On the first few days of release you can assume that diehard fans of existing properties will comprise the majority of votes, but a few weeks after release people who had no exposure to Venom will have their votes mixed in too.

Well put — it’ll depend on what expectations later viewers have going in.  There’s been a narrative forming that Hardy’s antics are the reason to watch, which bodes well, since he doesn’t disappoint.

My wife is no comics fan but said she much preferred the energy to the depression of the IW ending, which astounded me.  Apples and oranges. I def laughed a ton more with this.

38 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

If this ends up doing just $160 million domestic and $200 million overseas (or $360 million total), does it get a sequel? Maybe.

Does it launch a universe of spin-off films?

No chance.

I am going back to what I thought at the beginning is let's not think of this as a superhero movie but as the launching of a new franchise like the Friday The 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween franchises.

If this makes bank like it seems it will than Sony could make it into a franchise just like Jason,Freddy and Michael Myers.

13 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I have not actually seen any of the trailers, but I will check them out later. I felt the same about both Hulk films.

Coincidence! 

15 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

Hulk liked Ferrigno Hulk. Ferrigno Hulk was a real Hulk. Looked normal. But if Ferrigno Hulk should be replaced, by a CGI Hulk who changes size from scene to scene, and in an odd father son bonding melodrama storyline , then Hulk will SMASH! hulk-smile.gif.0d5864fcb71bd954efa085352ef8683d.gif

10 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I am going back to what I thought at the beginning is let's not think of this as a superhero movie but as the launching of a new franchise like the Friday The 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween franchises.

If this makes bank like it seems it will than Sony could make it into a franchise just like Jason,Freddy and Michael Myers.

Pretty much.  If anything, I’m concerned a sequel with Carnage would be too serious in comparison, because it’s hard to laugh at/with serial killers.  Venom almost needs to be camp to succeed... the character is just too two-dimensional otherwise. 

Tempted to rewatch, which is crazy.  

Edited by exitmusicblue

44 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Light years better than Spidey 3’s Venom was my reaction.  C h r i s t, that was bad.

They could’ve made his sheen more like the dull of Bat armor, but something about the slippery sliminess seemed much more alive, fwiw.

As someone who hasn’t been pumping this movie for months, hopefully my words carry some objectively-meant heft.

Oh yeah that Topher Grace version was brutal. Not only with the symbiote retracting every time Brock said something but making Venom skinny was awful.

When I first heard about this Sony version I was hoping for a comic accurate depiction of the first time Mary Jane saw Venom sitting in the dark mistaking him for spider man then being kidnapped. Oh man that "I'm home" line would of been beautiful on screen!!!

Oh well it's just a bong hit pipe dream at this point ?. MCU would of nailed that!

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Yea, I really have no idea what people are thinking with Venom's look given that there's nothing to compare it to and nobody is going into detail about what their problem with him is other than bizarre comments like "he's too shiny."  I don't get how he's 8 feet tall, but I do like his bulkier look in this as compared to the Venom CGI in Spider-Man 3.  It seemed in that film they were making Venom be roughly the same size as Topher Grace, but in this one they've given him the Hulk treatment.

I don't think his extreme size is unique to the movie though.  When I googled "venom height" earlier I saw a bunch of references to how in the later iterations of Venom in the comics they made him 7' 6" in Venom form at some point, I wasn't aware of that.  But I haven't found any explanation for how that's supposed to work with a more normal-sized human inside the suit.

I think the answer is often "it is just comics". I have always taken a bit of an issue with the tongue...how does it change from Eddie's tongue to the Venom tongue? Or the teeth? Answers just muddy it up, take it at face value I suggest. [I was giving my wife the Billy Batson/Captain Marvel discussion as it relates to "how does that work?"...is it grown up Billy? Do they switch places? If so, where does Billy go? as an example of how sometimes there are no good answers (at least not yet.)]

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

In the elevator at work today...two women and me... "I went to that movie last night" "which one?" "venom"(whispered) "oh yeah, how was it?""okay, my 10 year old son loved it. It was okay...good...yeah the guy turns into a superhero"(referencing a prior conversation it seemed). 

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The movies that raised the tail end of GenX. :cloud9:

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

This was supposed to be the kickoff film for the new "Sony Universe" featuring surefire box-office smashes from the Spidey rogues gallery such as Morbius, Silk, Nightwatch, Jackpot, and the Black Cat.  Given that it's going about as well as Tom Cruise's "The Mummy" did in kicking off a brand-new Universal Monsters movie universe, it's difficult to see another film.  But hey, I never thought this one would get made, so what do I know.

I still think this deflates Sony's plans and forces multiple internal meetings about giving the production reins to Marvel Studios.  It should be painfully obvious by now that's what needs to happen.  :makepoint:  It might not simply because all of those planned movies clearly can't all be produced by one man.  Why they're even thinking about them at all baffles me though.  Morbius?  What a rip-off of a vampire that guy is.  He was lame even in the 70s, but now that there's a dozen other vampire properties he seems lame to the tenth power.  The only character with potential is Black Cat, but even she should start off in a Spidey film, not in her own, but that would put her in the Marvel Universe, so I guess that's not happening.

The whole concept of a new "Sony Universe" is lame piled on top of lame with an extra helping of lame on top.  :boo:  Didn't the "Sony Universe" start with the original Spider-Man film in 2002?  Or wait, maybe in 2012 when ASM rebooted it?  What is this yet another reboot since Homecoming semi-rebooted the last reboot?  All these reboots are making me dizzy.  :eek:  Any reboot at all is an admission that you're out of good ideas, but for this to be reboot #4 is just pathetic.  :facepalm:

I dunno, Morbius in a dark Blade-esque style movie might work.  I think you need to add depth to the whole "vampire underworld" trope.  I'm thinking something along the lines of the political intrigue of the RPG Vampire: The Masquerade and it's "World of Darkness" (as they called it).

57 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Hi Guys! :hi:

Just got back from seeing it.  Here is my review:

I definitely found it enjoyable.  It is not nearly as dark as I was expecting, maybe even hoping, but it still had its moment.  Frankly if Marvel/Disney had the cojones (or were contractually able)  to do a standalone Venom movie it probably would have walked a line very similar to this.  As others have noted, Tom Hardy definitely throws himself into the role (literally!), playing both Brock and Venom, and you can tell he had a good time doing so.  The film itself is a bit slow in the beginning but once Our titular anti-hero begins to manifest, it's full speed ahead for the rest of the film.  The movie is certainly not your typical superhero film, it is definitely different, is trying to be different, and it succeeds in mostly all the right ways.  It knows that it is a silly comic book movie, and it has fun with it, along with its lead actor.  It kind of reminds me of the TV show Gotham, in that it relishes in its own dark absurdity.  Plenty of Easter Eggs for nerds, and a great first after credits scene (although there are two after credits scenes the second only comes at the very end of some very long credits, has nothing to do with the movie, and is not at all worth waiting around for if you have something else to do) that will have you looking forward to the presumed sequel.

All and all, a very solid effort in bringing a popular, though difficult character to bring to the big screen.  7.5 out of 10 for me! 

-J.

Respect to that, man.   I honestly think there would’ve been a great risk of Snyder-esque results going much darker.  It might’ve appealed to us Venom diehards, but dunno if it would’ve been worth the loss of giggles from the rest of moviegoers.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Hi Guys! :hi:

Just got back from seeing it.  Here is my review:

I definitely found it enjoyable.  It is not nearly as dark as I was expecting, maybe even hoping, but it still had its moment.  Frankly if Marvel/Disney had the cojones (or were contractually able)  to do a standalone Venom movie it probably would have walked a line very similar to this.  As others have noted, Tom Hardy definitely throws himself into the role (literally!), playing both Brock and Venom, and you can tell he had a good time doing so.  The film itself is a bit slow in the beginning but once Our titular anti-hero begins to manifest, it's full speed ahead for the rest of the film.  The movie is certainly not your typical superhero film, it is definitely different, is trying to be different, and it succeeds in mostly all the right ways.  It knows that it is a silly comic book movie, and it has fun with it, along with its lead actor.  It kind of reminds me of the TV show Gotham, in that it relishes in its own dark absurdity.  Plenty of Easter Eggs for nerds, and a great first after credits scene (although there are two after credits scenes the second only comes at the very end of some very long credits, has nothing to do with the movie, and is not at all worth waiting around for if you have something else to do) that will have you looking forward to the presumed sequel.

All and all, a very solid effort in bringing a popular, though difficult character to bring to the big screen.  7.5 out of 10 for me! 

-J.

So...is it better than Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and Ghost Rider?

Or about the same?