• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

if those predicting an $80MM opening weekend in China are accurate, $750MM WW is on the table. 

this would indicate a level of FAHM (fool and his money) nearing Suicide Squad ($747MM WW/27 RT = 27.7 FAHM) but not in the same league as BvS ($874MM WW/27 RT= 32.4 FAHM)

People like this should not be considered Critics on RT:

Marvel Studios have now officially hit the bottom of the barrel as one of its third-rate, C-grade creations known mainly to Marvel's fanboy base gets his own mediocre movie.

November 4, 2018 | Rating: 2/5 | Full Review…

Just watched it. Was very disappointed. CGI fight finale was horrible. Seen better smoother CGI in video game cut scenes. I didn’t hate it though as Hardy was fantastic creating a relationship with Venom. Those were the best scenes for me as the majority of the action scenes flopped. I’d still watch a second Venom movie as long as Hardy is there to carry it.

5 hours ago, paperheart said:

$37MM opening day in China; 50% higher than A-M&W (which did $65MM opening weekend).  $80MM+ guaranteed, $100MM not out of the realm of possibility.  $750MM WW now clearly in play.

Daaaaamn.  This is doing better than even I expected.  And I thought I was bullish.

-J.

19 hours ago, Oddball said:

Just watched it. Was very disappointed. CGI fight finale was horrible. Seen better smoother CGI in video game cut scenes. I didn’t hate it though as Hardy was fantastic creating a relationship with Venom. Those were the best scenes for me as the majority of the action scenes flopped. I’d still watch a second Venom movie as long as Hardy is there to carry it.

This is pretty close to where I'm at.  I found a lot of it entertaining, but for many action scenes and the scenes where you can see skin and symbiote at the same time, I just kept thinking "Aren't we already past these effects yet?  I'm sure I've seen better."  Overall, Tom Hardy is rad, and they had a lot of chances to do better, but didn't.  But if they get the chance for a sequel, I'm interested.

On 11/8/2018 at 8:38 AM, TwoPiece said:

People like this should not be considered Critics on RT:

Marvel Studios have now officially hit the bottom of the barrel as one of its third-rate, C-grade creations known mainly to Marvel's fanboy base gets his own mediocre movie.

November 4, 2018 | Rating: 2/5 | Full Review…

I saw nothing wrong with that review. he makes his points, and isn't overly negative. he even admits that critics aren't always the guide to what's popular or good.

Edited by Hawkman2

37 minutes ago, Hawkman2 said:

I saw nothing wrong with that review. he makes his points, and isn't overly negative. he even admits that critics aren't always the guide to what's popular or good.

i believe "Marvel Studios" is the problem, this is a Sony production from start to finish.

50 minutes ago, paperheart said:

i believe "Marvel Studios" is the problem, this is a Sony production from start to finish.

Little does the reviewer know that the actual Marvel Studios has already been popularizing "third rate, C- grade creations" since at least the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie.  lol

(Although Venom was an easy B+ character, even before the movie.)

-J.

On ‎2018‎/‎11‎/‎08 at 9:55 PM, Oddball said:

well I finally saw this film last night with a couple of friends and I also was very disappointed. As I said a lot earlier in this thread I never felt the Venom CGI was where it should be: it always looked "fake" like it does not belong in the scene so it takes me out of the film. The movie had some humorous moments, but overall I did not like it and I have no interest in seeing it again.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:17 AM, Bosco685 said:

DC_MCU_BO181111a.thumb.PNG.c5837951c5306f9cd5e51b27ac7d7a16.PNG

6.7X production budget, the highest in the Spider-Man Franchise overall run. Comparison:

- Marvel's Avengers (6.9X)

- Black Panther (6.7X)

- Avengers: Infinity War (6.4X) 

:whistle:

this is extremely impressive. 

I think the general impression of this movie seems to be that it was enjoyable, but I wonder how it would fair with those movies on a dvd sales/pay-per-view basis.  A lot people here have pretty no desire to see it again, even if they are reasonably glad they watched it (I fall into this camp).  Something like Justice League (even though often panned) had a lot to dig into and impressive sets that made it more marketable for home use.  But this one lacks the scope of the above movies listed, and depth of Justice League, or the rewatchability of something like Deadpool.  I get that that market is not too important now, but I wonder....

I'm sure I could google it, but is there a "Cost-to-DVD/PayPerView" chart for comic movies?

8 minutes ago, revat said:

I think the general impression of this movie seems to be that it was enjoyable, but I wonder how it would fair with those movies on a dvd sales/pay-per-view basis.  A lot people here have pretty no desire to see it again, even if they are reasonably glad they watched it (I fall into this camp).  Something like Justice League (even though often panned) had a lot to dig into and impressive sets that made it more marketable for home use.  But this one lacks the scope of the above movies listed, and depth of Justice League, or the rewatchability of something like Deadpool.  I get that that market is not too important now, but I wonder....

I'm sure I could google it, but is there a "Cost-to-DVD/PayPerView" chart for comic movies?

Put another way - imagine what it could have done financially if it were - you know - good?

22 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:
32 minutes ago, revat said:

Put another way - imagine what it could have done financially if it were - you know - good?

I agree, they left money on the table, but could this really have been a billion dollar movie even if it was good?  But I think they positioned themselves to do well with an improved sequel.  They obviously got a great ROI, so would it have been worth it to put in another $50M-$75M for better effects to make just $150M more?  That ROI isn't great.  I don't think they're too far from their revenue ceiling for this movie, whereas something like Justice League ended pretty near their revenue floor.