• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Currency exchange at Cons

25 posts in this topic

So perhaps this isnt the right section of the forum but I am just curious at to what everyones thoughts are on this.

I live in Buffalo, NY and attend probably 3 shows a year in Canada. As of late the US Dollar is worth more then the Canadian. In past this was not always the case.

Does anyone find that the retailers/artists dont take into consideration this fact when making sales at these cons. Is it wrong to think as a US citizen I shouldnt have to pay "more" for something then a Candian would do at the same show!!

$1 US is $1.33 Canadian right now. So if someone is selling an item for $100 Canadian they are making an extra $33 profit on me. I obviously get the benefit to them but not sure if it's technically fair

Thoughts

So perhaps this isnt the right section of the forum but I am just curious at to what everyones thoughts are on this.

I live in Buffalo, NY and attend probably 3 shows a year in Canada. As of late the US Dollar is worth more then the Canadian. In past this was not always the case.

Does anyone find that the retailers/artists dont take into consideration this fact when making sales at these cons. Is it wrong to think as a US citizen I shouldnt have to pay "more" for something then a Candian would do at the same show!!

$1 US is $1.33 Canadian right now. So if someone is selling an item for $100 Canadian they are making an extra $33 profit on me. I obviously get the benefit to them but not sure if it's technically fair

Thoughts

Regardless of the currency, if they have a price they have a price. It is up to you as the buyer to decide if it is worth it. Should they have different prices for Canadians, Europeans, and Americans?

Thoughts

Are you saying they are charging $100 in either currency? I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

Thoughts

Are you saying they are charging $100 in either currency? I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

Right. If the con is in Canada and they charge $100 Canadian, why would you give them $100 US?

I'm so confused. How do you pay more? You get those brightly colored notes Canadians call money at the bank at an exchange rate of 1.33 to 1. You buy a 100 loonie book. It cost you 100 loonies. In order to get 100 loonies, you gave the bank 75 dollars.

Now are you saying they are factoring in the exchange rate into their price (I.e. it's a 100 dollar book on GPA so they price it at 133 loonies?) Well that's still fair to you, it's just not fair to their fellow Canadians

The price is the price is the price, but it will hurt you less than a similarly positioned Canadian right now. If I were you I would be spending at Canadian cons, with Candaian dealers, and keeping the Buffalo residence on the down low. Or not, dealers want people who pay in the end.

Given the low value of the CDN dollar right now, it does not benefit you to pay in USD if things are priced in CDN. If you are doing business in Canada leave the Benjamins at home and make sure to bring Bordens, Mackenzie Kings and Green Queens instead.

i just simply meant should a Canadian dealer take into considersation if he is selling something for $100, that if I offer him $75(US) it's essentially the same?

As this is really the first time the exchange rate has been favorable in a few years I was curious.

I attempted to buy a Statue last year and explained to the seller that the $50 he was asking was really the same as my $35 and he said absolutely not! I was surprised as he was getting the same amount anyways.

Given the low value of the CDN dollar right now, it does not benefit you to pay in USD if things are priced in CDN. If you are doing business in Canada leave the Benjamins at home and make sure to bring Bordens, Mackenzie Kings and Green Queens instead.

True...except the exchange locations are a pain sometimes...

Clearly for the time being this is the right answer

i just simply meant should a Canadian dealer take into considersation if he is selling something for $100, that if I offer him $75(US) it's essentially the same?

As this is really the first time the exchange rate has been favorable in a few years I was curious.

I attempted to buy a Statue last year and explained to the seller that the $50 he was asking was really the same as my $35 and he said absolutely not! I was surprised as he was getting the same amount anyways.

Just exchange your money ahead of time. I wouldn't expect a business to do that for me.

Go to your local bank. They will charge you a small fee and exchange your money for you. Especially living in Buffalo, it's not a bad idea to keep a small amount of money in Canadian dollars.

It is very common at the Niagara con for Americans to pay in US money as if it's perfectly natural to just hand over foreign currency and expect everyone to take it.

I once had an American ask me if I accept Canadian money. In Canada. I should have said no!

It's one of the few redeeming factors of NFCC.

Use a local bank machine when you get to the destination country, your own bank will calculate the exchange rate and take it from your account.

If you try to use foreign currency to buy on either side of the border, you aren't likely to get the best bang for your buck. In fact, it's probably worse than negotiating and paying with a credit card - I've had dealers in Buffalo reject Canadian money I had in my hand when the Canadian dollar was worth a penny or two more because they preferred to take a credit card than have to convert money later.

If the bank exchange is 33% and you offer $75 USD for a $100 CDN book, you aren't negotiating price of the book, you are negotiating exchange rate that the seller is offering.

2c

Use a local bank machine when you get to the destination country, your own bank will calculate the exchange rate and take it from your account.

If you try to use foreign currency to buy on either side of the border, you aren't likely to get the best bang for your buck. In fact, it's probably worse than negotiating and paying with a credit card - I've had dealers in Buffalo reject Canadian money I had in my hand when the Canadian dollar was worth a penny or two more because they preferred to take a credit card than have to convert money later.

If the bank exchange is 33% and you offer $75 USD for a $100 CDN book, you aren't negotiating price of the book, you are negotiating exchange rate that the seller is offering.

2c

+1

No wonder Stern keeps you around.

It is very common at the Niagara con for Americans to pay in US money as if it's perfectly natural to just hand over foreign currency and expect everyone to take it.

I once had an American ask me if I accept Canadian money. In Canada. I should have said no!

It's one of the few redeeming factors of NFCC.

I loved get USD at NFCC. It meant I didn't have to convert for my vegas trip the following month with the bank lol

If you go to 2-3 shows a year this is the time to sock some Canadian money away. The rate won't be this favorable forever. I travel to Australia pretty frequently and plan to bring home a few extra notes on this trip if the rate is still this favorable when I go in a few months.

As someone else said, a local ATM is the way to go for getting currency. Much better fees than a money changer and the funds come right out of your account. No need to travel carrying sums of money to exchange.