• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MyLites+

63 posts in this topic

You guys (and gals?) are awesome!

Question: How do you even use the 4mil MyLites and half-back??? (I actually do 'know how to use them', but see below)

I have them in my house as we speak and getting the damn comic in is a freakin' chore! Then it looks 'wavy' after it is in. It just seems like a really tight fit that the ML2/full-back doesn't have. I want to use them since I spent good money on them, it just doesn't seem feasible.

Which size M4 are you using? Notice letsgrumble is using an 825 series. You might just not have enough room as shadroch pointed out.

I stand corrected. I'd never seen the term mylite4 used before. I wonder if it is a trademark problem because thats the same as a mylar, or as some people refer to them as archives.

Right I think its a new term. For instance the R sleeves used to be called Snugs.

Have you ever held in hand an archive "L" series? I have not. But having 2 openings on the sides is intriguing since the top and bottom are sealed; hence no flap to worry about.

Where I am going with this is the potential to mount an L sleeve in a top loader. That configuration would be as close to a slab as you can get in terms of rigid corners and stiffness throughout. I am going to try it out.

There is no such product as a mylite4. Not sure what you are referring to.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-E-GERBER-FULL-BACK-MYLITES-4-STANDARD-Mylar-Bags-Boards-700FB-725M4-/121731372381?hash=item1c57c1555d:g:fMAAAOSwymxVKwwf

These are what I have and it seems like a modern should fit nicely but they don't for me. I'll try your suggestions and see how it goes. I love my mylar!

Thanks!

For my more expensive raw comics I use this

Mylite 2 + Fullback inside a golden age archive. I have my Flash run that way and it's awesome

any chance you could snap a picture of this?

+1

Let me chime in.

Bronze comic in 775M2 Mylite2 and fullback then fitted into #825 Archives sleeve (front):

IMG_6682_zps4sbxkd1m.jpg

Bronze comic in 775M2 Mylite2 and fullback then fitted into #825 Archives sleeve (back). Mylite2 creased at bottom and tucked into sleeve. This negates the need for tape.

IMG_6683_zpsyxcx2yvq.jpg

Bronze-Silver comics in 775M2 Mylite2s with fullback in #825 Archives sleeves, stored in magazine box:

IMG_6680_zpszb2f69q6.jpg

(Sorry for the repeat information, Preston)

Very cool, thanks for posting!

For my more expensive raw comics I use this

Mylite 2 + Fullback inside a golden age archive. I have my Flash run that way and it's awesome

any chance you could snap a picture of this?

+1

Let me chime in.

Bronze comic in 775M2 Mylite2 and fullback then fitted into #825 Archives sleeve (front):

IMG_6682_zps4sbxkd1m.jpg

Bronze comic in 775M2 Mylite2 and fullback then fitted into #825 Archives sleeve (back). Mylite2 creased at bottom and tucked into sleeve. This negates the need for tape.

IMG_6683_zpsyxcx2yvq.jpg

Bronze-Silver comics in 775M2 Mylite2s with fullback in #825 Archives sleeves, stored in magazine box:

IMG_6680_zpszb2f69q6.jpg

(Sorry for the repeat information, Preston)

Very cool, thanks for posting!

+1

I stand corrected. I'd never seen the term mylite4 used before. I wonder if it is a trademark problem because thats the same as a mylar, or as some people refer to them as archives.

Gerber produces Archives sleeves in 4 mil thickness, and in the same thickness they produce Mylite4s. They are very rigid. I have some Golden Age Mylite4s that I bought about a decade ago and am still using them because the growth rate of my GA collection is sadly very low.

GA book in Mylite4 inserted into magazine top loader:

IMG_6686_zpsyxoivh10.jpg

GA book in Mylite4 sleeve:

IMG_6689_zps1jelazlq.jpg

You can see how rigid they are. Since I put a crease into the 4 mil Mylite4 it is very tough to bend back when pulling the book out. If you're not careful, the sharp Mylar edge can potentially shred your book. Someone mention earlier that they can be razor sharp and I concur.

IMG_6688_zpst86gutkb.jpg

Right I think its a new term. For instance the R sleeves used to be called Snugs.

Have you ever held in hand an archive "L" series? I have not. But having 2 openings on the sides is intriguing since the top and bottom are sealed; hence no flap to worry about.

Where I am going with this is the potential to mount an L sleeve in a top loader. That configuration would be as close to a slab as you can get in terms of rigid corners and stiffness throughout. I am going to try it out.

"Mylar" is just the Dupont brand name of the polyester film used to make the bags

"Archives" is Gerber's brand name for their tabbed open top 4 mil sleeves that have been around since 1979

"Mylites2" is Gerber's brand name for their 2 mil flapped bag

"Mylites4" are constructed identically to the Mylites2 with the flap, but use the same 4 mil polyester film as the Archives

"Archives L" have adjacent sides open, not opposite sides ("L" indicates the shape of the opening)

"Archives L" have adjacent sides open, not opposite sides ("L" indicates the shape of the opening)

Thanks for pointing this out. Should have logically put that together - hence "L" as in the letter.

Are the L sleeves then re-sealable? How do you close the sleeve or is it open similar to the open style flap on the R series? Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-E-GERBER-FULL-BACK-MYLITES-4-STANDARD-Mylar-Bags-Boards-700FB-725M4-/121731372381?hash=item1c57c1555d:g:fMAAAOSwymxVKwwf

These are what I have and it seems like a modern should fit nicely but they don't for me. I'll try your suggestions and see how it goes. I love my mylar!

Thanks!

You might want to measure the width of the Mylar.

I would be willing to bet you have the 700M4 not the 725M4

The seller you reference has been selling the 700M4/675FB combo for current size books which doesn't fit well at all. Which is why I don't sell that combo.

Thanks for pointing this out. Should have logically put that together - hence "L" as in the letter.

Are the L sleeves then re-sealable? How do you close the sleeve or is it open similar to the open style flap on the R series? Thanks.

It is open on two sides

They actually take an Archive and slice off the right side seal

I have been selling Mylites for years on ebay. I am not a big fan of using Archives alone because of the open tops and the propensity of new users to slice books when inserting. With the 1-1/2" flap on the Mylites it is easy to bend the polyester film back and keep the sharp edges of the film further away from the book as it is inserted

Thanks!

You might want to measure the width of the Mylar.

I would be willing to bet you have the 700M4 not the 725M4

The seller you reference has been selling the 700M4/675FB combo for current size books which doesn't fit well at all. Which is why I don't sell that combo.

I believe you are correct! Probably Current size and not Standard size. doh!

When inserting a book into a mylar, use two backing boards and make a comic sandwich. When the book is in, slide out the front board.

Its not a perfect solution, but it eliminates a lot of the problems.

When inserting a book into a mylar, use two backing boards and make a comic sandwich. When the book is in, slide out the front board.

Its not a perfect solution, but it eliminates a lot of the problems.

Thank you sir! Great idea

I have found that sticky notes lose their stickiness or just curl up and fall off over time. Happened to me when I put a bunch of stickies on bags to remember who signed what at a convention one time.

I use Scotch Magic tape on my mylars and poly bags. It stays sticky for years, never gets overly sticky where it leaves a residue on the bag or my fingers, and pulls cleanly off bags (and covers). It's the ONLY tape I will use.

I pull the tape one-handed from a weighted tape dispenser, fold a small pull tab, and then put it on the flap. I've tried it side to side, up-down and down-up on the flap. Side to side has little benefit. One person on these boards said to pull the tape off the flap and leave it on the back of the bag so it never touches your book, but I really like how tight I can pull the flap by attaching the tape there first and then fixing it to the bag with the pulltab on the back. I guess I would use the down up approach for a book I was concerned about getting stuck on tape. It looks like this:

2lwom0w.jpg

Open flap

250s31k.jpg

Run of comics in Mylite2 with fullback in a GA Archive in a cool plastic box I bought from Walmart. I like it better in case of a flood.

Comic%20in%20bin_zpsxj53rctw.jpg

My run of Showcase and Flash all in Mylite2 with fullback in a GA Archive

more%20in%20bins_zps0m6fs9ca.jpg

Front of Mylite2 with fullback in a GA Archivein%20archive_zpsuylsnncn.jpg

Back of Mylite2 with fullback in a GA Archive

Back%20of%20archive_zpsty8comgg.jpg

Run of comics in Mylite2 with fullback in a GA Archive in a cool plastic box I bought from Walmart. I like it better in case of a flood.

Is that bag board combo 775M2/750FB?

I use 725M2 They are standard size and standard size FBs. I don't use the SA/GA Mylite 2s or Fullbacks.

I use 725M2 They are standard size and standard size FBs. I don't use the SA/GA Mylite 2s or Fullbacks.

However, for Showcase 13, Flash 105 and Flash 106 I used a GA bag and board. The rest were Standard

However, for Showcase 13, Flash 105 and Flash 106 I used a GA bag and board. The rest were Standard

(thumbs u That is what it looked like. Thanks for sharing pics.