• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Persistent Ebayer wants to deal privately

1,072 posts in this topic

Its people like those here who think its Ok to do side deals and cheat eBay out of their fees that make me ashamed to be in this hobby, One poster on this thread whom I know is on a massive ignore list keeps trying to justify cheating eBay by giving all sorts of different scenarios , just a plain shameful disgrace to this hobby.

I've never had a friend find a book for me...

I have had someone find and purchase a book for me. Which is why I don't bust his balls too much....

It's nice to have people do nice things. Just sucks that sometimes people are just nice to you for their own reasons and not just nice to you

So...

I saw a book on eBay for $5k which I was interested in. I contacted the seller... "Hey, would you mind selling the book off eBay for $4600? This way it saves me money and you are making more money than selling on eBay and being hit with the seller fees."

I'll take saving $400 on a book than feeling guilty that I have wronged eBay. Integrity or no integrity, I SAVED $400... $400!!!

So would you feel this is okay to do to someone you know as well? Cheat them out of a 10% finders fee?

What makes it different?

Or how about if you see a book listed on eBay and subsequently see the seller at a Con and say "I'll buy the book for $cashlessthanebay"...

Do the sellers say: "no! I'm not part of a ME society and you must purchase the book from eBay as I will not violate ebay's rules! :sumo: "

Seriously?

Is this scenario cheating a friend?

(shrug)

How many times does this have to be spelled out for you? You see a book at con it doesn't matter where else it's listed, you can make an offer on it.

It's not what's being discussed.

It hasn't been spelled out for me. ??? Bob misread what I wrote and commented on a different scenario...

If you saw a book FIRST on eBay and you knew the dealer would be at a show you're at, if you approached the seller and said "hey, I saw you have X book on eBay for $300. Would you let it go for $270 cash right now?"...should the seller then stand by eBay's policies and ONLY sell the book via eBay?

Its people like those here who think its Ok to do side deals and cheat eBay out of their fees that make me ashamed to be in this hobby, One poster on this thread whom I know is on a massive ignore list keeps trying to justify cheating eBay by giving all sorts of different scenarios , just a plain shameful disgrace to this hobby.

:acclaim:

So...

I saw a book on eBay for $5k which I was interested in. I contacted the seller... "Hey, would you mind selling the book off eBay for $4600? This way it saves me money and you are making more money than selling on eBay and being hit with the seller fees."

I'll take saving $400 on a book than feeling guilty that I have wronged eBay. Integrity or no integrity, I SAVED $400... $400!!!

So would you feel this is okay to do to someone you know as well? Cheat them out of a 10% finders fee?

What makes it different?

Or how about if you see a book listed on eBay and subsequently see the seller at a Con and say "I'll buy the book for $cashlessthanebay"...

Do the sellers say: "no! I'm not part of a ME society and you must purchase the book from eBay as I will not violate ebay's rules! :sumo: "

Seriously?

(shrug)

How many times does this have to be spelled out for you? You see a book at con it doesn't matter where else it's listed, you can make an offer on it.

It hasn't been spelled out for me. ??? Bob misread what I wrote and commented on a different scenario...

If you saw a book FIRST on eBay and you knew the dealer would be at a show you're at, if you approached the seller and said "hey, I saw you have X book on eBay for $300. Would you let it go for $270 cash right now?"...should the seller then stand by eBay's policies and ONLY sell the book via eBay?

Post #9219047 - Today at 05:11 PM

Or how about if you see a book listed on eBay and see the seller at a Con and say "I'll buy the book for $cashlessthanebay"...

Seriously?

Of course not.

If a customer sees a book on E-Bay, then the obligation of the seller is to E-Bay, the service he/she used to market the book. If, on the other hand, a customer sees a book through any other venue (Comiclink, convention, etc.) that is also currently on E-Bay, then the seller has no obligation to sell the book through E-Bay, since E-Bay didn't bring the customer to the comic.

This seems really obvious.

Which is along the same lines as a book that is sold in more than one place. Really, it's just obvious.

Who?

Who?

I thought it was HarveySwick but he wouldn't praise the post if it was lol

Who?

I thought it was HarveySwick but he wouldn't praise the post if it was lol

It shouldn't be me... This is the only thread I believe I have more than5 posts in.

Thanks to eBay I have been able to enjoy getting complete runs of Atlas war comics which would have taken decades if even at all possible without eBay. Now we have "spoon" posting on these boards who are justifying trying to undermine eBay and basically bite the hand that feeds, and actually have the audacity to defend their illegal behavior, This hobby, and these boards in particular, while very rewarding, are also, I am slowly learning,... filled with many. self important, me generation "spoon"

Thanks to eBay I have been able to enjoy getting complete runs of Atlas war comics which would have taken decades if even at all possible without eBay. Now we have "spoon" posting on these boards who are justifying trying to undermine eBay and basically bite the hand that feeds, and actually have the audacity to defend their illegal behavior, This hobby, and these boards in particular, while very rewarding, are also, I am slowly learning,... filled with many. self important, me generation "spoon"

If you have someone on ignore, stop toggling. It improves your mental status. Or at least toggle sparingly. hm

For the double venue points people have made-if someone is selling on ebay and they have an online store you can see it on ebay then go to the store and buy it. Ebay does not have a problem with this. Or if you see a buddy is selling a book and walk up to him and buy it.

Conversely, when ebay is the sole venue for the sale and the deal is done outside ebay, using ebay's messaging system, that they forbid.

If you have someone on ignore, stop toggling. It improves your mental status. Or at least toggle sparingly. hm

I think 3/4 of the forum has HIM on ignore, might be confused

For the double venue points people have made-if someone is selling on ebay and they have an online store you can see it on ebay then go to the store and buy it. Ebay does not have a problem with this. Or if you see a buddy is selling a book and walk up to him and buy it.

Conversely, when ebay is the sole venue for the sale and the deal is done outside ebay, using ebay's messaging system, that they forbid.

This i understand

So...

What makes it different?

Seriously?

(shrug)

Or how about if you see a book listed on eBay and see the seller at a Con and say "I'll buy the book for $cashlessthanebay"...

Seriously?

Of course not.

If a customer sees a book on E-Bay, then the obligation of the seller is to E-Bay, the service he/she used to market the book. If, on the other hand, a customer sees a book through any other venue (Comiclink, convention, etc.) that is also currently on E-Bay, then the seller has no obligation to sell the book through E-Bay, since E-Bay didn't bring the customer to the comic.

Which is along the same lines as a book that is sold in more than one place. Really, it's just obvious.

Bob gave two different scenarios!

Here:

DealerA lists bookX for $200 on eBay.

DealerA's friend/acquaintance goes to a Con and approaches DealerA and says "Hey DealerA, how have you been? Great thread in Comics General the other day. That Swick sure is a deviant, right? Say, I saw you bookX for $200 on eBay. Do you have it with you?"

DealerA: "No, I didn't bring it wih me"

DealerA's friend/acquaintance: "That's alright. Your scans are great. Would you take $180 cash for it?"

Are you telling me that the book is now available at two places at the same time?

So all I need to do is track down a seller at another location and I'm good to go?

Or should DealerA tell his friend/acquaintance "sorry man, you'll have to buy the book on eBay."

I'm not trying to be an , I just really don't see the difference and I'm trying to see it from another perspective. You keep saying it's like ripping off a friend. I'm trying to give you real world scenarios and see if that changes anything.

What is the difference from seeing a name you know on eBay, PMing them here and offering to buy the book? ???

Who?

He's got me on Ignore so I'm claiming it. He's also the guy that tells everyone they're insufficiently_thoughtful_persons for buying anything slabbed other than 1950's war comics.

You are correct ,... but this thread has stuck a passionate nerve and I toggled a few ignores, I will take your advice, the ME generation and I have never quite gotten along very well

Uhh... Chuck, you are kind of contradicting yourself...

No. I'm not.

If you can not see the difference between NOT buying a book on eBay, but seeing the same book at a convention later, where you negotiate a better price to buy it in person

vs

Seeing a book on eBay and contacting the seller to buy it outside of eBay, simply to avoid paying more because of his eBay fees...

then there really isn't anything to discuss.

One is the patience of a collector to acquire a book at a price he would like to buy it at, which includes WAITING and possibly losing that book to someone else....

vs

the greed of a non-collector to undermine the system and immediately purchase the book and remove it from the market.

It's not a contradiction. It's very black and white.

one_or_the_other.gif

So...

What makes it different?

Seriously?

(shrug)

Seriously?

Of course not.

Bob gave two different scenarios!

Here:

DealerA lists bookX for $200 on eBay.

DealerA's friend/acquaintance goes to a Con and approaches DealerA and says "Hey DealerA, how have you been? Great thread in Comics General the other day. That Swick sure is a deviant, right? Say, I saw you bookX for $200 on eBay. Do you have it with you?"

DealerA: "No, I didn't bring it wih me"

DealerA's friend/acquaintance: "That's alright. Your scans are great. Would you take $180 cash for it?"

Are you telling me that the book is now available at two places at the same time?

So all I need to do is track down a seller at another location and I'm good to go?

Or should DealerA tell his friend/acquaintance "sorry man, you'll have to buy the book on eBay."

I'm not trying to be an , I just really don't see the difference and I'm trying to see it from another perspective. You keep saying it's like ripping off a friend. I'm trying to give you real world scenarios and see if that changes anything.

What is the difference from seeing a name you know on eBay, PMing them here and offering to buy the book? ???

As long as you don't use ebay's messaging system to constipate the sale you're good to go.

Ebay fully realizes people list things they sell on their own.

Bird has me on Ignore as well and I made a late birthday thread for him after his birthday was skipped in Comics General and reformatted several avatars of his favorite character for him to give him a "face". lol