• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Persistent Ebayer wants to deal privately

1,072 posts in this topic

Currently have an item on the bay with two pending offers, and in addition a third person is making persistent offers to buy directly through paypal. Wants me to make counter offers and haggle through ebay messaging. ???

Do you report them, or do you threaten to report them or do you just ignore them and tell them to go away?

Ebay says "Asking your trading partner to complete a transaction outside of eBay is not allowed."

I'm going to ignore him for the time being. I already replied once that I've gotten other offers higher than theirs and now they want to haggle more.

Seems unethical to make the deal off eBay. If it weren't for that market, you wouldn't have gotten the interest in the item. Making the deal outside of it is just taking advantage of their system, and if the problem becomes big enough other sellers who aren't doing this will eventually bear the punishment for it in something like increased fee percentages.

It is possible through the messages to offer him a price that way as an official option. I noticed it a few months ago and used it onc in fact.

I think when you have the email open, there is a button toward the top right of the messages that says make an offer. I can't remember exactly off the top of my head.

Seems unethical to make the deal off eBay. If it weren't for that market, you wouldn't have gotten the interest in the item. Making the deal outside of it is just taking advantage of their system, and if the problem becomes big enough other sellers who aren't doing this will eventually bear the punishment for it in something like increased fee percentages.

Barring the unethicalness, which is a valid point, no one should be pressured into making a deal in a venue or situation they're not comfortable with. They should ask politely once, then move on.

Almost always make my offers privately - especially on more expensive books. I usually offer just a bit more than they would walk away with after eBay fees. I get a better deal and the seller gets more money and everyone's happy..ebay makes enough money nickel and diming . I see no issue with it as long as the communication is polite. If the answer is "no" then the answer is "no". If I don't get a response I suspect the seller is uncomfortable with it and I don't ask again. I sell my items the same way .

Almost always make my offers privately - especially on more expensive books. I usually offer just a bit more than they would walk away with after eBay fees. I get a better deal and the seller gets more money and everyone's happy..ebay makes enough money nickel and diming . I see no issue with it as long as the communication is polite. If the answer is "no" then the answer is "no". If I don't get a response I suspect the seller is uncomfortable with it and I don't ask again. I sell my items the same way .

I use a combo of best offer and messages.

I put the first two through best offer, and then send messages to hammer out the final price with the seller before making the final offer.

But I still pay through Ebay

The only time I've ever purchased a book off of eBay was when the seller had extra copies in different conditions in his regular store. I don't think I've ever made an offer off of eBay for an item that was listed.

Sometimes I send a message asking if the seller is a member of these boards, but they're usually not.