• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OO collection oddities - subscription wrapped comics

24 posts in this topic

Hey guys, earlier this week I landed a pretty sweet, mostly Marvel, collection. I still haven't counted but I'm guessing under 2,000 comics total.

Of all the years of buying/selling, I'd never stumbled onto a comic in it's subscription wrapper.

It happens to contain a copy of DD 158.

It's got a Marvel Comics Group rubber stamp marked, an address sticker (which I've digitally blurred) and a 2nd class mail stamp.

I also noticed an IH 235 which has the top part of the 5 missing. It isn't lifting or peeling - it was printed without.

Has anyone seen either of these before:

DD_158_wrapped_zpsoevn0yet.jpg

DD_158_zpsbbjxraie.jpg

IH_235_zpsdgq9tw59.jpg

I also noticed an IH 235 which has the top part of the 5 missing. It isn't lifting or peeling - it was printed without.

Has anyone seen either of these before:

IH_235_zpsdgq9tw59.jpg

Here's one currently on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-235-F-/350842487625?hash=item51afd78349:g:9sQAAOxy0QtR8n7z

Last year I was looking at a collection with dozens of them stacked in a pile still in sub. wrappers. mostly unopened. A ton of Power Man and Iron fist. They don't come around often, but it happens. Sure is fun to look at.

:cloud9: the old brown wrappers, that's how all mine used to come back in the good old days :preach:

I subscribed to X-Men and Avengers starting in 1984. I was positive the mailman would read them and stuff them back in the brown wrapper because they were never in there the same way or even around the same time.

lol

In the 30+ years I've been buying collections, I never have seen one of these before. I think I have to buy more. :D

This one has the name of the person whose collection I bought which makes it kind of neat. I didn't attempt to slide out the book worrying the wrapping was too taught and would split at the corner if I tried. I just wanted to see what kind of shape the book was in, but I don't want to chance it. :eek:

Oh, and these are usually folded aren't they? Must have been a nice mailman

Wow SA superman books still in the wrapper-incredible. This was fun.

I wonder if CGC would slab them as-is

Cool books BUTM.

Thanks for pointing those out Jeffro - looks like a printing problem on that issue. That last one is a weird one.

Check out this thread, it'll blow your mind.

What Causes This Color Variation?

It's a printer problem, but the actual cause isn't well understood (at least by us lol )

Dice probably had the best explanation, although I get extra points for the most creative theory. :grin:

It's interesting that these anomalies can be found clustered around certain dates and spanning different titles (on the same date) because of the way books were printed back then.

If one were inclined to collect in such a fashion, those are valuable clues to more books showing the characteristic. I save every one I come across.

lol

In the 30+ years I've been buying collections, I never have seen one of these before. I think I have to buy more. :D

This one has the name of the person whose collection I bought which makes it kind of neat. I didn't attempt to slide out the book worrying the wrapping was too taught and would split at the corner if I tried. I just wanted to see what kind of shape the book was in, but I don't want to chance it. :eek:

I had my Mom to tell the mailman to not fold mine but it would happen from time to time lol

LOVE the DD subscription copy!

I had a subsciption to Captain America during the mid/late 1970s. Seeing that wrapper brings back a lot of fond memories -- I couldn't wait to get home from school and see if the new issue had arrived.

Great find -- thanks for sharing!

lol

My subscriptions were 1984-1985 and they were never folded. We did have a big mailbox.

lol

My subscriptions were 1984-1985 and they were never folded. We did have a big mailbox.

I had a FF subscription for a couple years in the early 80s. Never folded.

It's interesting that these anomalies can be found clustered around certain dates and spanning different titles (on the same date) because of the way books were printed back then.

If one were inclined to collect in such a fashion, those are valuable clues to more books showing the characteristic. I save every one I come across.

Some copies of CA #223 have color missing from the top left corner.

Captain_America_Vol_1_223.jpg

Some copies of CA #223 have color missing from the top left corner.

Captain_America_Vol_1_223.jpg

[+]

LOVE the DD subscription copy!

I had a subsciption to Captain America during the mid/late 1970s. Seeing that wrapper brings back a lot of fond memories -- I couldn't wait to get home from school and see if the new issue had arrived.

Great find -- thanks for sharing!

Our mailbox back then looked like this:

special-lite-vertical-contemporary-wall-mount-mailbox.jpg

So--along with my older sister's copies of Cosmopolitan (!)--all of my Marvel sub copies were folded...