• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OLD SCARCE FUNNY BOOKS FOX, FIGHTERS, NEDOR, and a LOT of SURPRISES.

172 posts in this topic

Baz, (Barry Hi:) wins the #9, thank you both for trying!

and ComicCav... :hi: Wins the Feature Funnies #6 (worship)

What is next...I'm going to try to scan one more book, I have two read. Regula Fella's Heroic...the first part of the series and very cool books. I need a few minutes...then I need to go out for a while;)

3 more, for now.

When I first saw these, I was confused, because I only knew of the later issues with Heroic as the Title. These early books are Regula Fella's and have Super Heroes.This issue has Hydroman.

Guess what he can do?

The great Tarpe Mills wrote the Purple Zombie.

The paper is nice, but the cover was torn and removed from the center staple. there is tape inside the cover and it looks like 2 extra staples were added. Book is complete. The is a piece of tape on the outside as well. $65

heroic%204_0001.jpg

heroic%204_0002.jpg

heroic%204_0003.jpg

heroic%204_0004.jpg

Heroic # 6 Bill Everett, Hydroman! and 2 Tarpe Mills stories. . If you are not familiar with June Tarpe Mills, here is some information about one of the only female GA comic book artists (and a great one) http://www.libraryofamericancomics.com/catalog/series/1589/ Cover is detached, there is a spine roll and the small square I missed that was cut out on the back cover. Condition is Fair. $40

heroic%206_0001.jpg

heroic%206_0002.jpg

Heroic  # 7  1st Man o Metal. Another prequel to IRON MAN;) by HG Peters (Wonder Woman)

Hydroman by Bill Everett and 2 Tarpe Mills stories.

Very nice color, front cover looks great. There is a half inch cover spine split at the bottom with a small piece missing at the bottom, very small split chew at the top of the spine and a bump (smush). Red staining on the bottom of the back cover. Small staple tears, small tear at the top of the centerfold nice supple pages. Grade VG+ (lowered for the staining, it looks a lot better in person)  $160

heroic7_0001.jpg

heroic7_0002.jpg

2016-03-12%2012.21.55.jpg

2016-03-12%2012.16.29.jpg

2016-03-12%2012.16.40.jpg

2016-03-12%2012.17.02.jpg

ugh, what did they cut out on that back cover on the #6?

Yikes, I totally missed that, the cover was so busy I didn't see. There is just a picture of someone riding a bike on the inside. I lowered the grade and the price, thanks for pointing that out, I would have felt really dumb if I went to pack it before noticing.

Feature comics #28, Listed in Overstreet as Rare (let's face it, these are ALL RARE) I'm a little confused as GPA shows 1 sale, a 9.0, but it's not on the census, and the number does not verify. The Census shows 1 restored copy. So this could be the highest unrestored copy available. :o

2nd appearance of Doll Man by Lou Fine.

This a decent book , I'd say it's in the VG+ or a little better range. There is some staining or dirt at the top of the cover and a 1" split at the bottom of the cover.. $550.00

feature%20comics%2028_0001.jpg

feature%20comics%2028_0002.jpg

This is indeed rare, Sha - some years ago, I bought the only copy that I've ever seen the Larson 9.0 (it's de-slabbed and the label returned, that's why it's not on the census).

The Features have quality content on the inside, such an underrated title - this is a great book!

#7, We still don't know who the Sparkman really is, but we know he's one of 3. Nice pages, slight spine roll, centerfold detached at one staple and one side of the page has tears. Nice color and gloss. One long crease on the front. A few small creases lower left on the back. Grade is VG. OSG is $74, bin is $60.

sparkler%207_0001.jpg

sparkler%207.jpg

sparkler%207_0002.jpg

:takeit:

#7, We still don't know who the Sparkman really is, but we know he's one of 3. Nice pages, slight spine roll, centerfold detached at one staple and one side of the page has tears. Nice color and gloss. One long crease on the front. A few small creases lower left on the back. Grade is VG. OSG is $74, bin is $60.

sparkler%207_0001.jpg

sparkler%207.jpg

sparkler%207_0002.jpg

:takeit:

Sold, thanks, Steve!

why does he beat on his poor dogs like that? :shrug:

Those are not his "dogs" they are "ferocious wolves" and he's saving everyone.

Yeah, what Sky said. The dogs are tied to the sled, the ferocious wolves are trying to eat them, along with the humans for dessert, lol

And ...what's left!

Page 1

Feature Funnies #2, 1937.Introducing the Hawk. Amazingly nice supple pages for a book this old. Centerfold is detached, There is a 1.5 cover spine split at the top, some dirt and creasing on the back. There is a 1/2" tear on the back. Grade is Good+ (2.5) , OSG in Good is $136.00 VG is $272 Bin is $125.00

Sparkler

Nice pages, tears at the top staple, it's still holding on, but barely. Nice color and gloss on the book. Small crease lower right and the book has a lengthway crease going 1/2 way down the front. It's slightly miscut as well. Small tear in the middle of the spine. Grade is VG OSG is $74 bin is $60

Sparkler #8. 1942. Nice color and gloss, crease lower right, name in ink at the top of the cover, small tear on the back. There is dirt and some stains. Tear at top staple, cover is still attached, but barely. Grade is VG-, OSG is $74 in VG, bin is $50.

For those of us who grew up with Nancy in the Sunday funny pages, it never crossed my mind that she'd be in a super hero book. I've only seen copies of these once,

Sparkman a Super Hero so secret that even his READERS don't know his secret identity!

Enjoy...

#1. Origin and 1st appearance of the SparkMan. 1941. Tarzan by Hogarth begins and continues in all the books. United. Nice color and Nice pages. There are 3 pieces of tape on the outside of the cover, and a small one on the inside. I just see one small tear at the bottom. Some creasing near the spine. Grade is VG-. Good Guide is $161, VG Guide is $322. Bin is $315

sparkler%201_0001.jpg

sparkler%201_0002.jpg

:takeit: I will take this one SPB.

For those of us who grew up with Nancy in the Sunday funny pages, it never crossed my mind that she'd be in a super hero book. I've only seen copies of these once,

Sparkman a Super Hero so secret that even his READERS don't know his secret identity!

Enjoy...

#1. Origin and 1st appearance of the SparkMan. 1941. Tarzan by Hogarth begins and continues in all the books. United. Nice color and Nice pages. There are 3 pieces of tape on the outside of the cover, and a small one on the inside. I just see one small tear at the bottom. Some creasing near the spine. Grade is VG-. Good Guide is $161, VG Guide is $322. Bin is $315

sparkler%201_0001.jpg

sparkler%201_0002.jpg

:takeit: I will take this one SPB.

Sold! Many thanks Et-Es-Go