• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What difference a tear on cover

19 posts in this topic

I have a really great copy of a comic the only issue is there is a slight tear on the cover say 0.5 CM.

Otherwise it's amazing condition so just wondering how much does it affect value it's a $15 book by the way.

With all due respect it's just a 0.5cm tear does not need a photo looks like every tear of 0.5cm you will ever see

It isn't just the tear. It is to allow us to check the overall condition of the book to see how the tear factors in.

The picture also identifies the book so we can answer your question.

Era of the book is important, rarity ( # of copies available ), overall grade all matter.

That said if you prefer to not post a pic then I will answer your question with the information I have.

Assuming the book is a very easily found common book, for example let's assume it is a New Mutants 100 that is in mint condition but has a 0.5 cm tear it goes in my dollar box because you can find a million mint copies of the book.

The folks who responded meant a photo of the exact book you are talking about, not a generic photo.

Between the 6 people who responded and said a picture was needed to make a proper assessment you probably have over 150 years of collecting experience combined, but you choose to disregard what’s been said. It’s not going to be a 9.8 with a tear. Plus copies are plentiful on ebay, with 20 of them selling in the last few months for an average of $5.82 each.

With all due respect it's just a 0.5cm tear does not need a photo looks like every tear of 0.5cm you will ever see

With all due respect, without a picture we can't help you. Please provide a clear picture.

The folks who responded meant a photo of the exact book you are talking about, not a generic photo.

Between the 6 people who responded and said a picture was needed to make a proper assessment you probably have over 150 years of collecting experience combined, but you choose to disregard what’s been said. It’s not going to be a 9.8 with a tear. Plus copies are plentiful on ebay, with 20 of them selling in the last few months for an average of $5.82 each.

Well said. Might not make a 9.4, even if it is a small tear considering almost perfect books are getting 9.6's.

It definitely won't be a 9.8, and as Joeypost said It may not get a 9.4 either. Some of the more modern comics cover stock is thinner and it has a tendency to tear at either the top or bottom of the spine.

As to value, I think it is the same as the dozens of copies for sale on Ebay: between 0.99c and $20.00 depending who buys it. So lets take an average of those and take the $5.82 quoted from above.

Is it the same value with the tear as a copy of the book without a tear? I say no because it is a readily available modern.

No one is listening I am not saying with the tear it is a 9.8 i am saying it is a 9.8 without the tear.

Can't photo at moment even if i wanted to.

Thanks for responses but really just after a generic answer not a full blown review.

Got my answer anyway seems not going to get to $6 so in the bin it goes.

No one is listening I am not saying with the tear it is a 9.8 i am saying it is a 9.8 without the tear.

Can't photo at moment even if i wanted to.

Thanks for responses but really just after a generic answer not a full blown review.

Got my answer anyway seems not going to get to $6 so in the bin it goes.

I understood you.

Considered the book to be a 9.8 but added a 0.5 cm tear.

Valued as I said above. Yes, bin it.

What's that?

You say it has a nine point eight inch tear in it?

That's a big tear, probably not going to be worth much

I have an ASM 129 7.0 w that has a half inch tear at the top of the FC...you can't see it in the slab at all...I think it would probably grade out as a 8.5 or 9.0 without it.