• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird/Unpleasant Comic Shop Experience

182 posts in this topic

Had a somewhat sucky experience today. Went to a local place that has tons of back issues. Picked out several that had no prices on them. Took them up and the person said she had to call the owner to get prices. No problem as I was still looking. Eventually she came up to me and said he couldn't give any prices because he doesn't know what condition they are in. She then proceeded to tell me why it is important to know the condition because that impacts the price.

Thank you for that knowledge. :facepalm:

And in good condition these would maybe go for $10. These were probably worth less than that.

Wow...that's a definite way to lose business.

This is the problem with having someone working in your shop who does not know the business. On the other hand, maybe she is a relative/GF. On the other other hand, someone who does know the business (who you give discretion to) may better know how to rob you.

With that said, my main LCS nowadays has the assistant manager running the place 2 days a week. (The shop does well enough to have 2-3 full time employees in addition to the owner, while paying NYC rents). He isn't allowed to buy, but he can give a little wiggle room on "what's your best price" and knows how to grade.