• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird/Unpleasant Comic Shop Experience

182 posts in this topic

Just looked up the ASM 121 variant in GPA, it is not a cheap book in grade.

The 3 sales in GPA are as follows:

9.8 sold for $199 in 3/2014.

9.6 sold at $100 in 1/2016.

9.4 sold for $61 in 5/2012.

Seeing as it was originally packaged in a box, with a toy, I'd wager most copies of this book, would have spine tics galore.I am also assuming, based on Green and Chaserman's post that the ASM 121, priced at all of $12....was a high grade copy.

I think Green was 100% in the right with his feeling of being lowballed on keys/underpriced books.

Even moreso than Green realized, as he didn't check GPA, to see the potential value of the modern book, he only checked eBay.

From the sound of it, both of the SA ASM's were actually priced fairly to begin with, if not a bit below Overstreet.

Sounds like the buyer wanted Green to bend over and take a good beating on all 3 books and when Green wasn't having that....Green still honored the $12 sticker price on what seems to be the most valuable book of all 3, by FAR....and to boot, which was also priced well below the other 2 books.

:facepalm:

No, it wasn't a high grade copy. I'd have to look closely at it again, but I would say a 9.0 or lower if I sent it in.

And again, if you read the thread, I had no idea what books were listed for ($60, $90, etc.) or what the completed sales were (less than $12.99 with accepted best offer, less than $29 with accepted best offer, and $19). Also, the ones that are currently listed on eBay are MCS consignment items, so they put whatever price the owner wants.

My post wasn't about lowballing/haggling. I wanted to see if anybody knew why it would be cheaper to buy two or full price to buy three. Green came on and answered, and we talked it over. Your post is a little late :shy:

Seeing as it was originally packaged in a box, with a toy, I'd wager most copies of this book, would have spine tics galore.I am also assuming, based on Green and Chaserman's post that the ASM 121, priced at all of $12....was a high grade copy.

I think Green was 100% in the right with his feeling of being lowballed on keys/underpriced books.

Even moreso than Green realized, as he didn't check GPA, to see the potential value of the modern book, he only checked eBay.

From the sound of it, both of the SA ASM's were actually priced fairly to begin with, if not a bit below Overstreet.

Sounds like the buyer wanted Green to bend over and take a good beating on all 3 books and when Green wasn't having that....Green still honored the $12 sticker price on what seems to be the most valuable book of all 3, by FAR....and to boot, which was also priced well below the other 2 books.

No, it wasn't a high grade copy. I'd have to look closely at it again, but I would say a 9.0 or lower if I sent it in.

And again, if you read the thread, I had no idea what books were listed for ($60, $90, etc.) or what the completed sales were (less than $12.99 with accepted best offer, less than $29 with accepted best offer, and $19). Also, the ones that are currently listed on eBay are MCS consignment items, so they put whatever price the owner wants.

My post wasn't about lowballing/haggling. I wanted to see if anybody knew why it would be cheaper to buy two or full price to buy three. Green came on and answered, and we talked it over. Your post is a little late :shy:

Alright then, if the ASM wasn't a hidden gem sort of a find... you have my apologies :sorry:

As far as MCS prices on consignment listings, we all know that the majority of MCS consignees do not know the market and sub their books into consignment at prices which are usually astronomically absurd.

The prices they had listed for consigned copies of the ASM 121 2005 reprint/Ross variant are ridiculously high.

I spoke out of turn and for that, I am sorry.

Alright then, if the ASM wasn't a hidden gem sort of a find... you have my apologies :sorry:

As far as MCS prices on consignment listings, we all know that the majority of MCS consignees do not know the market and sub their books into consignment at prices which are usually astronomically absurd.

The prices they had listed for consigned copies of the ASM 121 2005 reprint/Ross variant are ridiculously high.

Is that right ?

Is that right ?

(:

------------------

I am sure they know the market just fine. They are just seeing whether they can get a bite at a high price as it costs them nothing to consign there once they have a book that MCS deems to pass the threshold value minimum. They're just losing time/opportunity if the FMV goes down while waiting. No best offer as far as I can see? And you can always lower the price or go to auction after waiting.

---

those numbers don't say much for what a raw 9.0 - 9.4 is worth. every book is different.

Darkhawk 1 in 9.8 sells for around $100

Put up a flawless looking raw copy, say you think it is likely a 9.8 and you probably get about $6 for it.

Do that for some BA book that gets $100 in 9.8 and you may wind up with a $25-$35 sale.

Or not.

Based on the data out there it seems like a raw 9.0 of that book is probably a $15-25 ebay book. I give a big range because 9.0 moderns are pretty tricky sales sometimes, but that is an oddball book that seemingly has condition issues because it needed to be extracted from toy packaging. Of course, if I had it in my ebay store I'd price it at $50-60 for a while to gauge the market and see what sort of offers might come in.

I might be in the minority here, but I never understood the need to haggle at a retail store. All this drama over $4?

It's a byproduct of the information age. Everyone has a prodigious amount of data at their fingertips. Unfortunately, common sense and etiquette do not always govern its use...

Exactly. Whenever I go to buy comics and I see the seller open his phone and start scrolling through his phone, I walk away. Especially since it's just a snapshot of what the market is like (for stuff that isn't selling) for a particular book...

Besides, if I'm going to pay eBay prices, might as well buy from eBay. I don't think dealers realize the irony here.

why would you pay the same price for something on ebay and pay shipping and not have the item in hand, in advance, to examine? indeed, if he looks at "ebay prices" (and he should be looking at actual sales prices and factoring in some current "for sale" prices, particularly on a low volume item) and follows them, you will be paying, overall, $4-$7 less, most of the time due to no shipping and get to examine the book in hand.

All things being equal, the book by itself or book + shipping is an easy choice. But how often are all things equal. There are a couple of good LCS around me, but I normally just pick up reading copies if it's not brand-new. How about factoring the "cost" of spending a couple of hours on a weekend sorting through garbage and spending money on gas to come back empty handed? I have way better luck at cons, but when you factor in time + gas/transportation + admission fees, I rarely spend less than I would on shipping the same books from an auction house.

I might be in the minority here, but I never understood the need to haggle at a retail store. All this drama over $4?

It's a byproduct of the information age. Everyone has a prodigious amount of data at their fingertips. Unfortunately, common sense and etiquette do not always govern its use...

Exactly. Whenever I go to buy comics and I see the seller open his phone and start scrolling through his phone, I walk away. Especially since it's just a snapshot of what the market is like (for stuff that isn't selling) for a particular book...

Besides, if I'm going to pay eBay prices, might as well buy from eBay. I don't think dealers realize the irony here.

why would you pay the same price for something on ebay and pay shipping and not have the item in hand, in advance, to examine? indeed, if he looks at "ebay prices" (and he should be looking at actual sales prices and factoring in some current "for sale" prices, particularly on a low volume item) and follows them, you will be paying, overall, $4-$7 less, most of the time due to no shipping and get to examine the book in hand.

That would be the fair way to do it. But as I've seen plenty of online (not here, but everywhere else) they tend to just look up the highest priced unsold copy on eBay, or worse, Amazon, and base their price on that. I haven't seen it in a shop lately because it's been nearly a decade since I've purchased a back issue in a shop, but what I used to see at the shops is every single comic in the store priced at NM regardless of actual grade, and nothing ever dipping below cover price no matter how worthless it was. On the occasion I walk into an LCS and I see pricetags on the wall books, I know enough to not even waste my time with their bins.

Heh, I am the same way if I see the best price-tagged books are what I already have 5-10 copies of in better condition at home. Also if the LCS just has books bagged and they're all out of order - walk. If the LCS doesn't care about their own books, why should I?

I like it when I see price tags at shows so I know whether the seller has a realistic idea of what we'll be negotiating over. But if the prices are sky-high or the dealer doesn't want to haggle, then I move on. If I don't see prices, I pick the least likely book to negotiate on and see what he wants for it. That will also give me a good idea where things are heading...

Is that right ?

He went off half-CAKed

Is that right ?

He went off half-CAKed

lol

Is that right ?

He went off half-CAKed

(worship)

How about factoring the "cost" of spending a couple of hours on a weekend sorting through garbage and spending money on gas to come back empty handed? I have way better luck at cons, but when you factor in time + gas/transportation + admission fees, I rarely spend less than I would on shipping the same books from an auction house.

-------------

to each their own. i just sold a low grade FF 52 for over $100 that I picked up at a local shop within the last 12 months for $5. yes, it is a place that focuses more on pokeman/magik and used video games, but it was mixed in with a bunch of crappy 90s books that were also marked at $5. and they even knew what it was, the label said "1st Black Panther." frankly, i am not sure how many decades it has been since low grade FF 52 was $5 at retail, but there it was! some shops are a waste of time, some are not.

Had a somewhat sucky experience today. Went to a local place that has tons of back issues. Picked out several that had no prices on them. Took them up and the person said she had to call the owner to get prices. No problem as I was still looking. Eventually she came up to me and said he couldn't give any prices because he doesn't know what condition they are in. She then proceeded to tell me why it is important to know the condition because that impacts the price.

Thank you for that knowledge. :facepalm:

And in good condition these would maybe go for $10. These were probably worth less than that.

Had a somewhat sucky experience today. Went to a local place that has tons of back issues. Picked out several that had no prices on them. Took them up and the person said she had to call the owner to get prices. No problem as I was still looking. Eventually she came up to me and said he couldn't give any prices because he doesn't know what condition they are in. She then proceeded to tell me why it is important to know the condition because that impacts the price.

Thank you for that knowledge. :facepalm:

And in good condition these would maybe go for $10. These were probably worth less than that.

Wow...that's a definite way to lose business.

I have one maybe better.

A store in wv near me has a lot of stuff in it, mostly toys but also new issues. He has lots of back stock but due to the toy situation, the back issues can't be kept on the premises. He knows if he has something usually, though not always, but you have to come back the next day to get it.

That is if the price isn't rediculous or the condition isn't up to your standard.

And of the two in the same town it is, I would say, the most popular. Even with it only being open wednesdays pretty much.

In my hypothetical store everything would have prices on it. None of this looking up b.s. If I can't keep an eye on trends and re-price stuff in a changing market, that's my problem! (I'd also have an ebay store where I would be listing a chunk of my inventory because hoping for random fleshy humans to buy your stuff in this day and age is nuts!)