• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird/Unpleasant Comic Shop Experience

182 posts in this topic

Today I went to some comic shops about an hour from where I live in NC. At one (I won't name the shop unless you want to know via PM), they didn't really have any current issues. There were only boxes full of older comics (SA, etc.) in Mylite2s. I thought it was pretty cool. Even some semi-key issues were still in the boxes to look through. They were all priced a little above eBay prices with some cool wall books as well (ASM #5, #41, #129, X-Men #1 just to name a few).

So after looking around the shop, I picked out a poor copy of ASM #29 they had priced at $20. The cover was loose, there was a stain on the front cover. On top of that, I picked out an ASM #72, which was around the 4-5.0 range, priced at $22. Lastly, I found a copy of the Alex Ross ASM #121 Not For Resale cover, which was priced at $12.

I walked to the woman at the counter and asked if there was any room to work on the three. She said she could probably do $50 but needed to talk to the owner. He was a younger looking guy (35 or so), who then proceeded to look up prices on his phone in front of me. I stood there and waited for about five minutes. He said he would sell me the #29 and #72 for $35 and the Alex Ross for full price. I had in mind to pay $45 based on the condition of the older books so we were only off $2. He walked away and I looked the books over one more time. I asked the woman if that would be $47 total (the $35 plus the $12). Then the guy looks over from about ten feet away and tells me no. His offer was $35 for the older books or FULL PRICE FOR ALL THREE if I bought the Alex Ross cover! I literally said that made no sense to me. I was staying calm, but getting pretty mad inside. He didn't respond, so I put the two older books back and just bought the Ross for $12. What in the world was he doing? Has anybody ever experienced something like that or know his reasoning?

The two older books were REALLY beat up, so I don't know why he would choose to let two more sales go.

rantrant

Nah this makes perfect sense. See when you take into account the....uh..... Well, it's like this, once all of the variables are in place....it.......

Yeah, I have no idea. Probably explains why there were so many issues still in the boxes though.

On a related note, do LCS owners get upset when customers look up the price of books they're selling on Ebay and use that to help them decide if they want to buy it or not?

hm

I would certainly hope not. And I'm sure they expect it.

On a related note, do LCS owners get upset when customers look up the price of books they're selling on Ebay and use that to help them decide if they want to buy it or not?

hm

Yeah, and I've seen LCS owners look up unmarked books when I bring them to the counter and so I expect it too.

....She said she could probably do $50 but needed to talk to the owner. He was a younger looking guy (35 or so), who then proceeded to look up prices on his phone in front of me. I stood there and waited for about five minutes. He said he would sell me the #29 and #72 for $35 and the Alex Ross for full price. I had in mind to pay $45 based on the condition of the older books so we were only off $2. He walked away and I looked the books over one more time. I asked the woman if that would be $47 total (the $35 plus the $12). Then the guy looks over from about ten feet away and tells me no. His offer was $35 for the older books or FULL PRICE FOR ALL THREE if I bought the Alex Ross cover! I literally said that made no sense to me. I was staying calm, but getting pretty mad inside. He didn't respond, so I put the two older books back and just bought the Ross for $12. What in the world was he doing? Has anybody ever experienced something like that or know his reasoning?....

Maybe he had just taken a marijuana. hm

I just get the usual droning on about meeting MacFarlane at a dinner their cousin was at and getting overcharged for beat up early Image issues. And how awesome they are

hm

Yeah, and I've seen LCS owners look up unmarked books when I bring them to the counter and so I expect it too.

Personally I expect less laziness from business owners. I'm certainly not going to wait around for someone to look up prices like that.

hm

Personally I expect less laziness from business owners. I'm certainly not going to wait around for someone to look up prices like that.

I love it when they bring out a copy of OPG.

you could have gotten the deal for 47 still-- pay for the older ones first at $35. Sale done - receipt in hand.

Then go -- hmm-- think I'll take this book after all (Ross for $12). Pay for it without making a big fuss.

The guy did leave you with a way to work around his illogical attitude.