• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry as Marketing Angle

20 posts in this topic

This is the first time I've seen someone try to use the CGC Registry as a marketing device for comics.

If that article in Forbes about Jim Halperin is to be believed, apparently the registry means a lot to coin-ees and has caused great competition amongst coin collectors. But CGC has been so inept in their launch and roll-out of the comics registry that I think the concept was DOA for this hobby and will never have anything near the impact that it does in the coin world.

This is the first time I've seen someone try to use the CGC Registry as a marketing device for comics.

If that article in Forbes about Jim Halperin is to be believed, apparently the registry means a lot to coin-ees and has caused great competition amongst coin collectors. But CGC has been so inept in their launch and roll-out of the comics registry that I think the concept was DOA for this hobby and will never have anything near the impact that it does in the coin world.

foreheadslap.gif Did you think the registry was just a kindness provided by CGC for the collectors?

foreheadslap.gif Did you think the registry was just a kindness provided by CGC for the collectors?

Maybe but they still could do a better job with it.

Did you even read my post? Of course I understand that the registry was meant to be something that would incentivize collectors to slab their books. I'm saying that CGC has done such an inept job in rolling out the registry that they've failed miserably in turning it into a hype tool. This auction stood out in my mind precisely because in the 2 or so years that the registry has been up, it's the first and only time I've seen anyone using the registry as a way to hype their wares.

I was just scaning the ads in the new guide and Pedigree mentions it in his ad.

"Pedigree Comics has the highest graded inventory of Marvel Comics(check out the CGC Registry set listings for Captain Tripps")"

"Pedigree Comics has the highest graded inventory of Marvel Comics(check out the CGC Registry set listings for Captain Tripps")"

Slightly different angle. Tripps is saying "I can verify that my inventory is awesome, go check out the registry". The eBay seller I linked in is saying "Buy this book so you'll improve your registry score and beat all your friends".

Anyways, the point of my post was not to say whether registry-based marketing is good or bad. It was really a chance to rant about CGC's poor execution of this concept.

Slightly different angle. Tripps is saying "I can verify that my inventory is awesome, go check out the registry". The eBay seller I linked in is saying "Buy this book so you'll improve your registry score and beat all your friends".

Anyways, the point of my post was not to say whether registry-based marketing is good or bad. It was really a chance to rant about CGC's poor execution of this concept.

And one should never miss a chance for a good rant. gossip.gif

I would think that the ineptness of it could easily be fixed without lasting damage as they still don't have any significant competion. The major downside is that they haven't optimized their own business.

I would think that the ineptness of it could easily be fixed without lasting damage as they still don't have any significant competion. The major downside is that they haven't optimized their own business.

I guess its not a very "pressing" matter for them stooges.gif oh *rim shot*.

In terms of continuing to be the only registry source in town, I agree with you. After all, no one else can easily tie the registry to CGC's database to "verify" that the book is what it is.

However, as to whether they can make people care about the registry going forward, I doubt it. They missed their window of opportunity when it launched by not having enough titles and not not rolling out enough new titles frequently enough. CGC would have been much better served by holding off on launching for another year until they had a product more suitable for public launch. Anyways, as a result, people never really got into the registry, which means they never got into competition via the registry. It's just become background noise for most people, people simply don't care about it.

Of course, maybe this had nothing to do with CGC's flawed execution. Maybe comic-folk, being the kinder and gentler people that they are (unlike those avaricious Type A coin-ees), just don't care about competing to see who has the best collection. yeahok.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

Or you might say that they had more "pressing" matters to attend to.

sign-funnypost.gif

Or you might say that they had more "pressing" matters to attend to.

foreheadslap.gif I was looking for intelligent discourse and instead I got Henny Youngman and Milton Berle!

In terms of continuing to be the only registry source in town, I agree with you. After all, no one else can easily tie the registry to CGC's database to "verify" that the book is what it is.

However, as to whether they can make people care about the registry going forward, I doubt it. They missed their window of opportunity when it launched by not having enough titles and not not rolling out enough new titles frequently enough. CGC would have been much better served by holding off on launching for another year until they had a product more suitable for public launch. Anyways, as a result, people never really got into the registry, which means they never got into competition via the registry. It's just become background noise for most people, people simply don't care about it.

Of course, maybe this had nothing to do with CGC's flawed execution. Maybe comic-folk, being the kinder and gentler people that they are (unlike those avaricious Type A coin-ees), just don't care about competing to see who has the best collection. yeahok.gif

If you give guys (and let's face, the overwhelming vast majority of comic collectors are guys) a chance to compete, I suspect you would see a lot more making use of it. There have been any number of inept launches that, upon re-launch, became big hits.

I do suspect that there are more kinder and gentler collectors in comics. Just one difference that I noted since coming on the board was how many more post/threads there were for the comic forum than the other forums. Is this because the parent company is not as dominant a player in the other markets or is this part of a difference regarding comic collectors?

The CGC registry is nothing more than a way for Heritage to identify what collectors have what books so that they can approach them with the "pitch". Did you know that you have the highest graded run of "blah blah blah". We can get you "$$$,$$$$" for it. Consign it with us and we will get you this price. Oh and here's a cash advance to show you how confident we are in getting you this price. Just don't spend it in case they don't sell (GI Joe lol).

The CGC registry is nothing more than a way for Heritage to identify what collectors have what books so that they can approach them with the "pitch". Did you know that you have the highest graded run of "blah blah blah". We can get you "$$$,$$$$" for it. Consign it with us and we will get you this price. Oh and here's a cash advance to show you how confident we are in getting you this price. Just don't spend it in case they don't sell (GI Joe lol).

I'm definitely dissappointed that the registry doesn't have enough of the main staple sets, but it is still very useful.

Just in the past month, I worked out a deal with a collector because I was able to see his set and make an offer on some books.

Plus, Bob, it's not just for Heritage, or they wouldn't have a bunch of Modern sets in the Registry and had a lot more GA and SA sets.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The reason there aren't more sets is because some collectors are smart enough to know not to post their books to avoid people contacting them and making offers. That's one reason I didn't register. I didn't want to be pestered by "certain" collectors on books I own. And quite frankly I liked having books that nobody knew I had. Gives you an edge when doing trades since a person always wants your "best" copy. And besides, I don't need to wear my comics like a badge as if my comic collection defined who I was. Lastly, everybody always assumes that dealers keep the best copy for themselves. Sure buddy!

I don't have a run in the registry yet either. But that's mostly because, my best runs don't have sets for them. Once they do, I'll probably put some up.

But the problem is not about COLLECTORS putting their runs in the registry. It's that there are plenty of Sets that should be included, that are not (at this time).

Bob!

I thought you loved me!

I guess you hurt the ones you love...

But seriously, I do wish they would do a re-launch of the Registry sets idea. It is just bragging rights, and we all know how popular that is. I think that 90% of the collectors out there don't even know it exists.

Even though I don't know much about coins, and have very little to do with it at our company, saying it is a big deal to the coin guys is a big understatement. A much higher percentage of their hobby is "graded", and they really do live and die by the difference between one grading point.

But seriously, I do wish they would do a re-launch of the Registry sets idea. It is just bragging rights, and we all know how popular that is. I think that 90% of the collectors out there don't even know it exists.

thumbsup2.gif

This is also true in sportscards. The PSA Set Registry for cards graded by PSA, the most prominent card grading company, has had a tremendous impact on the hobby. On the extreme side, you see common cards that were worth pennies prior to slabbing go for hundreds of dollars in a PSA 9 or 10 slab. More typically, it has encouraged collectors to submit cards they would have never thought to submit before, thereby greatly increasing the volume of business for PSA.

I'm sure that a relaunch or improvement of the current CGC Registry will have a big impact on comic book collecting and will greatly accelerate the population of slabbed comics.