• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help with my comic book cabinet

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm slowly building my comic book cabinet with a friend who's a furniture maker.

It'll all be done with solid wood and will look like the one in the link below:

Take a look from 2:00

If posting a link it's against the rules, just tell me, I'll cancel it. :)

I'm planning on customizing the front, and I'm thinking of carving a picture inside the wood. The cabinet will be placed in a room with two huge glass windows, so I can't use plexiglas for the front of the drawers. I don't want direct sunlight on the comics.

The cabinet will be 70cm deep 150cm in length and 180 cm tall.

Now, I'm here because I need help finding an image to carve in the 150x180 piece of wood which will then be cut into pieces of 25x30. Each piece will be the front of a drawer. I'll have 36 drawers total.

I would want to create a sort of mosaic in short.

I'm a Marvel fan, so I would like to find a cool image that depicts the Marvel world. Maybe one where the superheroes have their old costumes. I'm open to hear all your advice and idea, though.

Can you people help me with this ginormous task? :)

Thank you very much

Enrico

You also need to use 1" birch to support all that weight, chipboard is garbage

Chipboard is *spoon*, yeah, but there's no reason the cabinet couldn't be built out of 3/4" sheet goods. It's all about the joinery and how things are supported, really.

My friend is a professional furniture maker. He surely knows what to do :)

I just posted that video to show you how the cabinet would look like. It won't be done in the same way or with the same material. :)

Chipboard is *spoon*, yeah, but there's no reason the cabinet couldn't be built out of 3/4" sheet goods. It's all about the joinery and how things are supported, really.

Sides should be built out of 1" or they will bow over time with all that weight attached

Sides should be built out of 1" or they will bow over time with all that weight attached

That just isn't true.

This is very much a work in progress (as evidenced by the lack of face frames & edging :) ), but these cabinets have been built with 3/4" veneered plywood and joined with a mixture of stopped dados and dominos/pocket holes - they're plenty strong enough for comic book drawers.

wip-cabinet-sides.jpg

That just isn't true.

How long have you had that for? I made mine over 12 years ago and eventually it bowed from all the weight so I redid it with 1" sides. You have 3/4" butted together in spots so that would help but ive built 2 of my cabinets myself and I saw issues down the line.

fbcapy.png[/img] 2nrlusj.png[/img] 214v2ht.png[/img]

The problem is that you have all the weight on the horizontal pieces which is why they're bowing.

Even adding just 1 more vertical divider pr. row in your large white cabinet would greatly help here - the increased thickness of your shelf merely masks the issue; it doesn't solve it.

My cabinets use undermount slides which are anchored to the vertical pieces, so the weight is much more evenly distributed - I basically only use the horizontal dividers to square up the cabinet (and to give the eventual face frames somewhere to rest).