• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Had a VERY bizarre experience while buying a scanner at Staples

36 posts in this topic

So, I went to buy a scanner, because my old scanner finally gave up the ghost.

Couldn't find a good one that did slabs, so I went with one of those "all in one" dealios, thinking that tech had progressed enough that even an "all in one" would be able to make decent scans of slabs.

Nope. Can't do it.

But...while I was fiddling with it last night, I noticed that the serial number on the box didn't match the serial number on the unit. Odd. I bought it with my assistant straight from the shelf at Staples. But I didn't think much of it, until...

...I take it back to the store. The store manager examines the unit and says "I can't take this back, the serial numbers don't match."

Now, I'm a little dumbfounded, because I had purchased that unit, at that store, in that box. I told the guy that I didn't have any explanation for him, I'm just a comic book guy, and I don't have multiple units sitting around my house (this is a GIANT piece of equipment. The box was a good 30" x 30" x 24"), nor am I trying to run some sort of "all in one" printer return scam.

He said he'd never seen a case where a sealed box had a different unit in it. Well, he has now.

He says that HP won't accept the return. I tell him that that's not his fault, but it's also not my problem. He finally gives me the refund, but not without suspecting me of trying to scam Staples, and, frankly, if I were in his shoes, I probably would, too.

The unit was an HP 7610 "all in one" printer, by the way.

It was just the most bizarre thing, and now I will absolutely INSIST on opening every single product I buy from them to confirm everything matches before leaving the store.

Things are getting bad out there, folks.

wow good tip-open and check folks.

Obviously someone at the factory goofed. So it happens.

BUT they should be able to track WHERE the box is with the serial number of the actual scanner you bought......

Ha - Ha a related situation once but I shrugged it off.

My parents bought me a Steiner authenticated Derek Jeter autographed baseball game model bat for my 30th. The bat came with a slight smudge in the signature. We contacted Steiner and they said not a problem and I had another one within a couple of weeks. They were really good about it.

When they sent it back they processed a new serial number for the new bat but returned the original identification card with the original serial number.

At that point I was happy to have the bat and since the bat was for me only I was fine with keeping things as is and putting the situation to rest.

My parents bought me a Steiner authenticated Derek Jeter autographed baseball game model bat for my 30th. The bat came with a slight smudge in the signature. We contacted Steiner and they said not a problem and I had another one within a couple of weeks. They were really good about it.

When they sent it back they processed a new serial number for the new bat but returned the original identification card with the original serial number.

At that point I was happy to have the bat and since the bat was for me only I was fine with keeping things as is and putting the situation to rest.

Your kids will be cursing you when they go to sell it. No strings of poloponies for them.

Another thing to watch for - buying a really light item in a box, an item that does not weigh much. A few years ago I read a story where a guy bought a new camera from a store and when he got it home the box was empty. The guy had a heck of a time getting a refund, but if I remember correctly an employee had taken the camera and then resealed the box like it was never opened.

I think it is a good idea, as mentioned, to open the box before you leave the store to make sure your item is there.

My own somewhat loosely related story. A long time back, I used to be a store manager for KB Toys (before they went belly-up). As everyone know, we used to see video game systems. Our general policy on returning them was, once opened, we would only take them back if they were defective and then exchange them for the same system (to keep people from essentially renting them for 30 days and then returning them). We would open the seal on the box, show all of the parts inside to the purchasing customer (both to show them what was included, and to avoid anyone coming back claiming something -- like the controller -- wasn't in the box, as a way to scam an extra controller for free, and then we'd initial and date the inside of the box.

On one occasion (which happened more than once, sadly), a customer brought back a PS2, claiming they'd brought it home and it didn't work. When I opened the box, I found a system that was clearly much older than the one their receipt showed they'd purchased only a couple of days earlier. It was scratched up and dusty. :facepalm: What the customer didn't realize,apparently, was that the serial number on the system itself was also scanned when we sold the system and showed up on the receipt -- and in this case, clearly didn't match. doh! Listening to the customer try to convince me that they had no idea why the serial numbers didn't match (no, of course you're not trying to swap you old broken system for a new one a year after the fact, ma'am) was always a trip, and a sad indication how some people will try anything for their own gain.

Obviously, that's not what happened to RMA. I never had a system have a different serial number than what was on a receipt or a box -- I would think it would be possible if they were dealing in refurbished equipment, but a brand new device shouldn't have that issue. Now, I'm going to be paranoid next time I buy some electronic equipment that's pricey. :P

Your kids will be cursing you when they go to sell it. No strings of poloponies for them.

lol -

Couldn't find a good one that did slabs, so I went with one of those "all in one" dealios, thinking that tech had progressed enough that even an "all in one" would be able to make decent scans of slabs.

Nope. Can't do it.

There is a huge scanner thread devoted to this topic. It is indeed hard to find a new scanner that will scan slabs properly. Your best bet is to consult the thread and order the specific models mentioned. It might even be worth it to try to find a used one - some of the older models outperform the newest stuff.

Nope. Can't do it.

There is a huge scanner thread devoted to this topic. It is indeed hard to find a new scanner that will scan slabs properly. Your best bet is to consult the thread and order the specific models mentioned. It might even be worth it to try to find a used one - some of the older models outperform the newest stuff.

Yeah, I'm aware of it...but you know me, I always gotta do it my way.

;)

But...while I was fiddling with it last night, I noticed that the serial number on the box didn't match the serial number on the unit. Odd. I bought it with my assistant straight from the shelf at Staples. But I didn't think much of it, until...

...I take it back to the store. The store manager examines the unit and says "I can't take this back, the serial numbers don't match."

I bought an X-Box game from Target once. Brand new, sealed. They kept all their games in a locked case. I had to get a clerk and ask him to unlock the case and get a copy for me. I pay for it get it home and open it to find no game in there but a AOL disk. You know the kind. The ones AOL used to mail out to everyone and their grandmother.

I know if I ever purchase a higher end item such as a watch or jewelry from Costco, they physically open the box and show you the item for your approval before you take it out of the store and also sign your receipt to this effect.

Not getting the item you expect in your package is very frustrating. My wife and I purchased from a local group here two $100 gift cards for a nice restaurant a few years ago. When we received our mail with the cards, only one of them was included in the package.

I phoned up the group and explained what I had found and she basically told me they double check all packages before they go out and there was no possible way that that could happen and basically told me she thought I was attempting to scam from them a free gift card. This went back and forth for over a month and a half, we never did receive another card and we had to initiate a charge back through our credit card company for the amount of the missing card.

The owner of the company then phoned us up and told us how she thought we were being total scum and how could we live with ourselves trying to scam $100 from a business like hers. The owner told us we were no longer welcome to purchase any further gift cards from them...lol, as if I would after all that hassle and being called a thief by them. The charge back did go through eventually and we got our funds back, but what a hassle.

I bought an X-Box game from Target once. Brand new, sealed. They kept all their games in a locked case. I had to get a clerk and ask him to unlock the case and get a copy for me. I pay for it get it home and open it to find no game in there but a AOL disk. You know the kind. The ones AOL used to mail out to everyone and their grandmother.

My wife used to work for Gamestop a while back. According to her, they used to have a shrink wrap machine in the back that would allow them to reshrinkwrap games if need be. I would imagine Target has such a machine as well, and some unwitting employee took back a game, didn't check to make sure it was actually in the package, then repackaged it and threw it back on the shelf. Target gave you the refund I hope?