• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird Paypal Transaction

39 posts in this topic

Paypal never emails you aside from your monthly statement.

These were super legit looking, and came to my regular email account and not junk.

So legit looking that I thought I might have been scammed and couldn't wait to get home and log into paypal and see.

The Britain purchase one came in as Receipt for payment, and I know paypal sends you those emails when you buy something, so it almost fooled me into thinking I'd been hacked.

I have got legitimate e-mails from them. One time I received 3 10K non ebay payments for board purchases. The e-mail said they limited my account. I had to prove I owned the books before they would unlock it. That was after both buyer and myself spoke to paypal on the phone.

That's not true at all. I get e-mailed whenever I purchase anything, special offers, and Paypal news. Now, if you said they will never e-mail you asking you to fill in account information to an external link or something then you would be right.

This happened to me and the reason was my keyboard was touch sensitive, I use a wireless keyboard with a touch pad and you only have to stare at the thing and it clicks on it and places a bid or buy it now. BIN is the worse as it is only one click while the bid asks for a price. Maybe this is what happened.

I have the weirdest paypal story. Several years ago I received an email that due to a chargeback error I had been debited too much and I was getting money back with interest, around 40. I didn't have to do anything just wait.

I called paypal and they told me it was fake. I sent it to spoof and it was legit so I call back and they say the spoof dept is bad at their job!?

I srnd it again, yep still legit... So i wait. About a month later I have 40 in my account direct from paypal. I call and ask about details and the rep says she doesnt have clearance to see who initiated the refund. When I asked who could do that in paypal, she said I Imagine someone pretty high up.

I have the weirdest paypal story. Several years ago I received an email that due to a chargeback error I had been debited too much and I was getting money back with interest, around 40. I didn't have to do anything just wait.

I called paypal and they told me it was fake. I sent it to spoof and it was legit so I call back and they say the spoof dept is bad at their job!?

I srnd it again, yep still legit... So i wait. About a month later I have 40 in my account direct from paypal. I call and ask about details and the rep says she doesnt have clearance to see who initiated the refund. When I asked who could do that in paypal, she said I Imagine someone pretty high up.

Wh-

My eBay account was brute-forced once because a bidder got butt-hurt from a non-payer case. He bought a bit-coin, so there's no address to trace it to. Your account can also be hacked from a vulnerability in the password reset. Someone can "intercept" the change password e-mail, change your password and then have a free day with your account. Most scams involve links masked by the text to the (fake) link:

For example:

Also, never follow the links in suspicious e-mails, always log directly into your account.

I always love getting email from "PayPal" or "eBay" - all you have to do is fly-over the link and you can see that the link is something like Asnujnb8jhns345.0o0o0O.agar.net... IDK how anyone can fall for that trick anymore.

:)

-slym

This happened to me and the reason was my keyboard was touch sensitive, I use a wireless keyboard with a touch pad and you only have to stare at the thing and it clicks on it and places a bid or buy it now. BIN is the worse as it is only one click while the bid asks for a price. Maybe this is what happened.

Isn't there a confirmation on a BIN? I could be wrong, but I thought you had to confirm and it isn't one-click.

My eBay account was brute-forced once because a bidder got butt-hurt from a non-payer case. He bought a bit-coin, so there's no address to trace it to. Your account can also be hacked from a vulnerability in the password reset. Someone can "intercept" the change password e-mail, change your password and then have a free day with your account. Most scams involve links masked by the text to the (fake) link:

For example:

Also, never follow the links in suspicious e-mails, always log directly into your account.

PayPal has 2-factor authentication which I feel is a must for an online bank.