• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great eBay offer

23 posts in this topic

So, I have been trying to sell some space-taking books that I have, and one such book in particular has a pretty high print run. I am in the "or best offer" crowd as a seller.

Yesterday I get the following notes added to an offer of 40% of asking price:

"There are thousands of these already cgc 9.8 and thousands more in wait to be cgc'd into 9.8s. There is no scarcity nor will there ever be for this one."

This was my first attempt at being shamed into accepting a garbage offer. I couldn't stop laughing.

If anyone on the boards is eBay handle scruffybear77, I still haven't decided if you are clever or the worst person alive.

Reply:

You're right these are basically worthless-I cannot in good conscience sell them to you.

So, I have been trying to sell some space-taking books that I have, and one such book in particular has a pretty high print run. I am in the "or best offer" crowd as a seller.

Yesterday I get the following notes added to an offer of 40% of asking price:

"There are thousands of these already cgc 9.8 and thousands more in wait to be cgc'd into 9.8s. There is no scarcity nor will there ever be for this one."

This was my first attempt at being shamed into accepting a garbage offer. I couldn't stop laughing.

If anyone on the boards is eBay handle scruffybear77, I still haven't decided if you are clever or the worst person alive.

If you think that's bad, you should see the offers scruffybear76 and scruffybear75 send.

1) Thousands of books aside, it's all based on demand. and he obviously wants this book so... demand just went up!

2) Tell him that since most of those books are already slabbed, raw copies are selling at a premium because they are harder to find.

3) Send him an offer 40% above your asking price.

4) Keep me apprised of their response.

I recommend selecting the auto-decline option in your listing for offers of less than a certain amount for each listing. There are a ton of low-ballers on eBay and I offer best offer on around 1000 items in my inventory. If I had to spend my time reading garbage offers and declining them all of the time, I could see myself getting irritated.

The best part of auto-decline is that you don't even get a message letting you know that an offer below your threshold was submitted.

"your item isn't that good and no one wants it how bout you sell it to me cheap"

Wonder if that's ever worked anywhere in the known Universe.

"your item isn't that good and no one wants it how bout you sell it to me cheap"

Wonder if that's ever worked anywhere in the known Universe.

It has. For the majority of PGX listings.

I'm selling a pretty scarce book on ebay currently, and just got a low ball best offer with the note "these are available everywhere in nice condition like this way cheaper than your price, and i really don't want it that much, but i'm making this offer anyway."

I replied:

"Could you do me a favor and pick me up a bunch of copies at the cheap price? I'll pay you back. Thanks."

Still waiting for a response.