• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I usually admired his artworks but....

133 posts in this topic

I wonder if he is less hostile if it is personalized? Less chance for you to do this for a flip.

Eh he was a bit hostile to me because I did ask him to personalize it "you know, its gonna be a lot harder for you to sell this on eBay if it has your name on it" it took like a good three minutes for me to convince him to sign it to me.

He is also starting to look like the old guy from "up". Maybe he just wants us to get off his lawn or needs someone in his life to remind him what hopes and dreams are made of.

I think HE thinks that he's left more money on the table in the 70's than most of us will make in entire lives.

And then he sees that people are putting up his sigs on the 'bay for tons of money (admittedly he's probably not factoring in the cost of the book and grading, etc), but then he feels like he's leaving even more money on the table, and getting cheated by people he thought were his fans.

And he's tired of being taken advantage of, and sometimes he's bitter. And he's a New Yorker. And honestly artistic geniuses often have more trouble socially than others. So a lot of things might go into it.

I brought him two CGC books last year to sign for $30 each (NO ONE ELSE IN LINE). I was wearing a Superman shirt with his design (breaking the chains), I was thinking about asking him to take a picture with me wearing the shirt. I told him I was wearing his shirt, and he just says "Would have been great if I could have made some money on it." He meant it. He saw the shirt, and I could tell that's what he felt in his heart. And I could tell it wouldn't be right to ask him to take a pic with me.

And I bet he sees all kinds of things that remind him of this happy thought or that bitter thought.

Now I generally don't have sympathy for the creators who think they're owed more than they were paid, I think they knew what they were getting into and were paid an agreed upon rate, which is how our world HAS TO OPERATE. BUT I can also see why someone would feel cheated and jaded in his situation.

Oy vey, he was a great artist but Cardy and Aparo were 87% there and were stylistically very close.

It's not like his great art on all those DC books sold a whole lot of extra DC comics at the time, did it?

Anyway, here's an interesting interview:

http://www.printmag.com/article/stubborn-aggressive-positive-an-interview-with-neal-adams/

I can't imagine he is hurting given that it seems like he can print money with his pen, but maybe I'm wrong. No lines for stuff at shows means maybe he is not selling so much anymore (not at these prices).

On the other hand, maybe I'm wrong. He has a lot of kids, employees, etc. and a whole organization to support. There is a limit to how many $500 sketches he can draw and sell in a day.

That's the thing though, and while he did help create some of these characters, he may make hundreds of thousands a year doing batman and green lantern sketches -- characters he did not create, although he helped keep them popular and helped create some movie material with R'As al Ghul, etc., so maybe he shouldn't be so ticked off? Rob Liefield created Marvels #2 or #3 character. How much of that billion dollar box office did he or Nicenza get?

I think HE thinks that he's left more money on the table in the 70's than most of us will make in entire lives.

And then he sees that people are putting up his sigs on the 'bay for tons of money (admittedly he's probably not factoring in the cost of the book and grading, etc), but then he feels like he's leaving even more money on the table, and getting cheated by people he thought were his fans.

And he's tired of being taken advantage of, and sometimes he's bitter. And he's a New Yorker. And honestly artistic geniuses often have more trouble socially than others. So a lot of things might go into it.

I brought him two CGC books last year to sign for $30 each (NO ONE ELSE IN LINE). I was wearing a Superman shirt with his design (breaking the chains), I was thinking about asking him to take a picture with me wearing the shirt. I told him I was wearing his shirt, and he just says "Would have been great if I could have made some money on it." He meant it. He saw the shirt, and I could tell that's what he felt in his heart. And I could tell it wouldn't be right to ask him to take a pic with me.

And I bet he sees all kinds of things that remind him of this happy thought or that bitter thought.

Now I generally don't have sympathy for the creators who think they're owed more than they were paid, I think they knew what they were getting into and were paid an agreed upon rate, which is how our world HAS TO OPERATE. BUT I can also see why someone would feel cheated and jaded in his situation.

I'd buy more into this if in just about every interview he gives that I hear, and he does give some great ones, he talks about how smart he was to maximize all the money and his earning potential while looking out for everyone else who seemed too stupid to.

He even says things like he left comics so it could catch up to where he was already at (and make more money in the advertising game).

There's no doubt he is an important creator in the history of comics and his presence definitely represented something next but I don't think it was a crime as much as I think it's like a generation of NBA or NFL players who were born just bit too early and never saw the mega cash of personal branding (that came came a bit early in comics with the 90s) and that next growth period.

He also reportedly made a grip of money during the brief boom with Continuity. I forget what the number he mentioned was but I was taken aback by it, and I'm used to hearing high numbers in that era that made the Image founders (relatively) rich. He constantly seems to talk about how good he is on the money tip.

What the hell is all the "he is grumpy because he is a New Yorker" mess in this thread ?

New Yorkers gotta be grumpy. They can't diddle their sisters like folks in some regions, they must be grumpy. Cantchew add?

After the show, it sank in that he really wasn't what I consider "rude" but was rather what I consider a typical New Yorker. People from there are...unique...and similar to one another. I worked in air freight for a few years and one of the great things about that job was learning about people from all over the country. New Yorkers have their own way and many from elsewhere consider it rude, particularly those of us in the south. In reality, it's just New Yorkers being themselves.

----

Excuse me and F**K Y**U. We New Yorkers are very polite. See, I said excuse me.

It's just what you guys do. Not a thing wrong with it!

:foryou:

What the hell is all the "he is grumpy because he is a New Yorker" mess in this thread ?

New Yorkers gotta be grumpy. They can't diddle their sisters like folks in some regions, they must be grumpy. Cantchew add?

"bout time somebody else noticed my sister is hot.

I wonder if he is less hostile if it is personalized? Less chance for you to do this for a flip.

Eh he was a bit hostile to me because I did ask him to personalize it "you know, its gonna be a lot harder for you to sell this on eBay if it has your name on it" it took like a good three minutes for me to convince him to sign it to me.

lolHe asked me if I'd like my TPB personalized (shrug)

Are there two of them? hm

My friend told me about that space rental at McComrick Place isn't that cheap.

Neal Adams' booth is getting bigger every year. I am sure the rental cost for that space is higher. He may try to make up his money to cover the rental cost.

Don't forget his age. My parents and Neal Adams were born in the same year. My parents are getting old especially my mother's physical is limited due to moderate arthritis in every joint included two knee replacements like Russ Heath has one. Have you ever seen him standing up in his booth? Not very often. My parents are enjoying in their retirement with financial security since 2002. I think Neal doesn't have one and may have to do the shows to gain his financial stability. He lives in NYC that I cannot afford the luxury life. He may have a good reason to grumble about it especially his age.

He was nice to me five years ago than today. Maybe, he is tired of seeing me for five straight years. Who knows? I will definitely see him in August at WW Chicago and hope that he will be in a good mood. Maybe I should have more business with him that will delight him.

I've met/interacted with Neal a couple of times that I recall, all in Toronto. I did lead by thanking him for what he'd done for creators rights and the impression I got - if Neal thinks something is wrong, he'll fight for the right. I'd agree with others - he sees his signature on a CGC book adding $100s to the value, why shouldn't he up his prices?

His first time in town I was really psyched. I got him to draw me a Green Arrow and when I went to pick it up he actually said to me "have any books to sign? Since you bought some art, I'll do 'em for nothing!" (From recollection - loud enough that his wife heard him lol) And I got 2 or 3 sigs at that show. None of them CGC'd mind you.

Second time I had one of the Neal Adams Batrman HCs that DC did a few years back. Whenever I meet a legendary creator I always try and get a HC personalized and when I asked him to personalize the HC, he was happy to do so. (I believe his sig fee was $20, but I gladly paid - the only creator I've not been able to get the personalized HC from is Stan!).

Both times he was great. Certainly very passionate and every time he'd see anybody browsing he'd sort of yell at them with "that's a great deal!" or "If you don't buy that, you'll regret it!" I took it as more carnival barker than rude. He's certainly got an arrogance to him - but given his resume, I have a hard time faulting him for that.

All that said - I've had poor experiences with creators (Chris Claremont comes to mind), bizarre experiences (BWS) and moments where you just leave thinking "wow" (Jerry Robinson and Eisner) so I get that everyone has a different Neal Adams story.

I can be an total butthead one day, and totally enthralled with life the next. I have good days and bad, highs and lows. I'm sure everyone does, its just that some of us let it out, and others don't.

In all honesty all the good and bad in this thread sound like the normal gambit of the human experience. (Neal Adams - Under the lens: Wallflowers edition)

You folks that meet him once a year and buy something from him, do you think he remembers you? I'm curious because once I had a very nice talk with him about a lunch he sponsored for our first retailer summit back in 1988 or so. He recalled it pretty clearly and said that if he had known half the shops would have gone belly up, he'd have saved a few thousand dollars on the lunch. No more than six weeks later, I see him at a Mike Carb. show and I felt like I was dealing with a bored customer service agent.

I can be an total butthead one day, and totally enthralled with life the next. I have good days and bad, highs and lows. I'm sure everyone does, its just that some of us let it out, and others don't.

In all honesty all the good and bad in this thread sound like the normal gambit of the human experience. (Neal Adams - Under the lens: Wallflowers edition)

Yes, but most people at least try to be polite most of the time when they are in a setting where they are asking people for money. I'm sure nobody cares about what his disposition is in when he's at home.