• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I usually admired his artworks but....

133 posts in this topic

You folks that meet him once a year and buy something from him, do you think he remembers you? I'm curious because once I had a very nice talk with him about a lunch he sponsored for our first retailer summit back in 1988 or so. He recalled it pretty clearly and said that if he had known half the shops would have gone belly up, he'd have saved a few thousand dollars on the lunch. No more than six weeks later, I see him at a Mike Carb. show and I felt like I was dealing with a bored customer service agent.

It is the rare person who can recall specific interactions when they see so many people on such a regular basis.

Both times he was great. Certainly very passionate and every time he'd see anybody browsing he'd sort of yell at them with "that's a great deal!" or "If you don't buy that, you'll regret it!" I took it as more carnival barker than rude. He's certainly got an arrogance to him - but given his resume, I have a hard time faulting him for that.

All that said - I've had poor experiences with creators (Chris Claremont comes to mind), bizarre experiences (BWS) and moments where you just leave thinking "wow" (Jerry Robinson and Eisner) so I get that everyone has a different Neal Adams story.

I never took his self promotion to be rude, that's a big part of his job. It was one on one interaction where he seemed less than excited to say the least.

I got to mee Jerry Robinson and he was awesome. He grinned ear to ear the whole time and seemed excited to do sketches. Regrettably, I never got to meet Mr. Eisner. He and Jack Kirby are the two I wanted to meet the most and never had the chance. I got to interact with Mr. Eisner through his Yahoo group and snail mail. I mailed the Kirbys through the mail, even exchanging Christmas cards for a couple of years after he signed my Captain America hardbacks through the mail.

:cloud9:

I seem to rememeber years ago him participating in a thread on these forums. I could be mistaken........

Perhaps someone that cares could search and find it....

He was run out of here pretty quick. Along with Don Rosa.

I seem to rememeber years ago him participating in a thread on these forums. I could be mistaken........

Perhaps someone that cares could search and find it....

Domo bumped that thread last night.

John Romita Sr. was ridiculously nice at the Philly Wizardworld. But that was 20+ years ago.

The line for Junior was a mile long. For him, I had one guy in front of me. I felt that was ridiculous.

(And, of course, the sigs were free back then)

he sees his signature on a CGC book adding $100s to the value

This isn't true.

It's true alright. All his new cover variants that only came out this Feb/Mar and still for sale at your LCS (for $2.99-3.99) are already going for way over $100 as CGC SS.

he sees his signature on a CGC book adding $100s to the value

This isn't true.

It's true alright. All his new cover variants that only came out this Feb/Mar and still for sale at your LCS (for $2.99-3.99) are already going for way over $100 as CGC SS.

This isn't the same thing.

Whether something IS selling for more is not the same thing as what he KNOWS or THINKS.

Which is also different than whether or not it really IS selling for that much more. How much does the CGC SS in grade vs the CGC blue label, Is the difference hundreds of $$$?

Which is ALSO different than how much they are LISTED for.

John Romita Sr. was ridiculously nice at the Philly Wizardworld. But that was 20+ years ago.

The line for Junior was a mile long. For him, I had one guy in front of me. I felt that was ridiculous.

(And, of course, the sigs were free back then)

This reminds me of my experience with Carmine Infantino in 2012. I was wandering around NYCC on Saturday as best I could and there was a monster line for some artist I've never heard of. Sitting there, not looking the best, was Carmine Infantino. Literally no-one was going up to him at all. So I figured it would be good to go over and say hello and thank you. As soon as I walked over he perked up, was super friendly and after we exchanged pleasantries and I thanked him for all of his work for DC and Marvel and what I loved, he invited me to come and sit with him. We sat there for about 40+ minutes and he told me so many interesting stories from his times at DC. His thoughts on the Batman movies etc. He was a wonderful person and it meant so much. Yet no-one on the line standing there to meet with that other artist had any idea who the "old man over there" was or why he was there, or the opportunity they were missing. Sadly Carmine passed away 6 months later.

I've found through experience that most fans have certain expectations when meeting a pro and if those expectations are not met for whatever reason that means the pro is a "jerk".

My personal experience with Mr. Adams is that he has a very dry sense of humor and this can rub some people the wrong way. I find it funny, so it doesn't bother me and every interaction I've had with him has been positive.

I've seen people walk away from his booth apparently unsatisfied, my first thought being the person really needed to lighten up. 2c

Something to also remember is that they might just be having a mess day.

Most of the interactions I've had with artists over the years have been positive. I've had a few clunkers too.

One guy that I've had both with was Howard Chaykin. There was one show where the guy was just on fire. Really gregarious and funny and having a grand old time. At a different show, maybe even the same year, he was the polar opposite of it. I figured he was having a bad day.

And, of course, you have some guys that are always great: Jim Steranko, JG Jones, Walt Simonson, Eric Powell, etc...

Sitting there, not looking the best, was Carmine Infantino. Literally no-one was going up to him at all.

---------------

This I don't understand. A fan could take a huge stack of reader copies of his various 60s and 70s stuff, stuff that isn't really worth anything beyond a buck or two, and make them "special" by having him sign them. maybe they aren't worth more in this era of SS, but they'd be pretty neat. was he charging? and even if you gave him a little something, big deal.

of course, for years i told myself i would do this at NYCC, but i never got around to putting together stacks, researching who would be there and when..and when i get there i am either being dragged in different directions by my kid(s) or need to use what time I have to hunt down comics.

NA was a ECCC last year and he kept playing used car salesman telling me what a good deal I would get if I bought two more prints of his (already had 3). He was still very nice and all and the prints were excellent, but afterward I was a little stunned at the bad taste it left in my mouth.

And, Chrisco your avatar is great! :roflmao:

Jerome

I've found through experience that most fans have certain expectations when meeting a pro and if those expectations are not met for whatever reason that means the pro is a "jerk".

My personal experience with Mr. Adams is that he has a very dry sense of humor and this can rub some people the wrong way. I find it funny, so it doesn't bother me and every interaction I've had with him has been positive.

I've seen people walk away from his booth apparently unsatisfied, my first thought being the person really needed to lighten up. 2c

Does he fay full price for his space at shows? At NYCC he isn't hidden away in artists' alley, he is right out on the main floor in a big space.

I guess if he is spending $3-5K+ for space at a show, dragging stuff there, salaries, (hotels if out of town, airfare..) etc. he can't be too charitable

Sitting there, not looking the best, was Carmine Infantino. Literally no-one was going up to him at all.

---------------

This I don't understand. A fan could take a huge stack of reader copies of his various 60s and 70s stuff, stuff that isn't really worth anything beyond a buck or two, and make them "special" by having him sign them. maybe they aren't worth more in this era of SS, but they'd be pretty neat. was he charging? and even if you gave him a little something, big deal.

of course, for years i told myself i would do this at NYCC, but i never got around to putting together stacks, researching who would be there and when..and when i get there i am either being dragged in different directions by my kid(s) or need to use what time I have to hunt down comics.

No charge whatsoever. Small booth in the main area with images of his more famous covers on it (Showcase 4, Tec 359) Just sitting there with a helper. I could have sat there with a long box of comics and he would have signed them all day. He was so happy to sit there and talk comics with a "kid" who loved it. You could see how he talked about it how much he loved the business.

---------------

No charge whatsoever. Small booth in the main area with images of his more famous covers on it (Showcase 4, Tec 359) Just sitting there with a helper. I could have sat there with a long box of comics and he would have signed them all day. He was so happy to sit there and talk comics with a "kid" who loved it. You could see how he talked about it how much he loved the business.

The only time I met Mr. Infantino was at DragonCon, and also found that he had no line to speak of. I have a DC Comics Sixty Years... hardcover that I used to take to cons to get sign, so I brought it to him and asked him to sign a Flash page which featured his artwork. He wasn't happy at all, had some choice words for DC ripping him off. I skeedaddled out of there pretty quickly as I certainly hadn't meant to offend the guy. Definitely struck me as (most likely justifiably) cranky. So, again, I guess it just goes to show that any number of people could get any number of different reactions from a creator on any given day.

Are any of the guys from Infantino's era left other than Ditko and Romita, Sr.? Lieber is still around, but he not of the same calibre. Obviously a bunch of guys born in the late 30s and 40s are still kicking along.

A lot of these guys seem to die before their time.

According to wikipedia, Stan Lee tried to hire Infantino for Marvel in the mid-60s for $22K a year. So, $165K nowadays.

RMA's sappy story about meeting a creator:

So, I'm at Amazing AZ con last month, and during my wanderings, I spy an older gentleman walking around with a cane.

I look at his name tag...and it said "Brian Augustyn."

Who is Brian Augustyn?

One of the driving forces behind DC in the late 80's/early 90's, and the writer one of my most favorite (and quite possibly first) Batman story that I have ever red, which was "Gotham by Gaslight."

So, I wasn't sure if it was him, but it probably was, so I asked him if he was, indeed, the writer of Gotham by Gaslight...and he said he was, and I asked him how he pronounced his last name, and I told him that GBG was one of my favorite stories ever, and thanked him for his work during that time period...it made an impact on me.

Hopefully it meant something to him....but it's sad that some people, who have contributed very little to the industry, are feted, while giants like Augustyn are ignored.

Ah well.

I like Brian. I first met him when he was promoting Troll Lords way way back in the B&W days. and think its funny you refer to him as an older gentleman. I guess he is pushing sixty , maybe even on the wrong side of it. I'm pretty sure he'd get a kick out of being called a giant of the industry.