• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I usually admired his artworks but....

133 posts in this topic

I walked by him on my way to see Jeremy Bastian last year at a con. It was right at the start of the show, and no one had lined up for him yet. He asked me where I was going. I told him and he had some choice words for me for passing him by. I'll NEVER give him my commerce.

Dan

I love his work, but I dislike hearing things like this. So let me get this straight - he berated you simply because you wanted to see Jeremy Bastian instead of him?

I've heard plenty of stories of him having a major attitude problem, but I don't see the issue with him setting his own price for his work. If it's too much in your opinion, don't buy it. If nobody buys it he'll either correct his prices or go broke. But the man is a LEGEND in the industry. It's ridiculous to me that people would pay more for a mass produced comic full of muddy colored reproductions of his art without a complaint in the world than they would for an original one of a kind hand drawn commission.

[font:Book Antiqua]

For most comic book fans

meeting Neal Adams is an odd experience

Similar to your first kiss or girlfriend...

You want it to happen

but when it happen it's just plain weird or awkward;

mostly disappointed...

(and yes, involve money)

[/font]

:(

My interactions with him (2), have both been fine. He signed an Avengers 92 for me once, and did a Captain America sketch for me another time. Both times personalized the item with no additional charge.

Anyhow, that's just me. I think he's just a weird dude, and I think he's maybe got a chip on his shoulder for whatever reason. But in my experience, he's been perfectly nice.

Zero issue with anyone pricing something for whatever they want (minus a extreme Shkreli like situation) but I must admit I've never really understood signatures/autographs hunting beyond people know they can resale it.

I'm not knocking it, I realize there is a SS contingent and they enjoy it, but I've always, even as a young kid, found getting autographs to be, and this just me personally not what I think of others who enjoy it, undignified. I just can't picture someone being so awesome at anything that I'd pay them to sign their name for me and I remember when I was first confronted with this when I was at a base signing with Muggsy Bogues and Alonzo Mourning and it's always stuck with me even while I lived in Sardegna where celebs were at, and very friendly (minus a couple of very extreme examples), every day. It's kind of a dumb "man" thing for me, not paying another man for his signature.

It just never connected with me and as someone who had a lot of access to books and authors for several years that always wanted to give you a signed this or that, I always declined and just told them to send me the book.

I walked by him on my way to see Jeremy Bastian last year at a con. It was right at the start of the show, and no one had lined up for him yet. He asked me where I was going. I told him and he had some choice words for me for passing him by. I'll NEVER give him my commerce.

Dan

I love his work, but I dislike hearing things like this. So let me get this straight - he berated you simply because you wanted to see Jeremy Bastian instead of him?

Yes.

Dan

Dan

Yes.

Dan

If he keeps up with this attitude, he's going to need to start charging by the hour to be able to afford having a dedicated security guard at his table.

Dan

Yes.

Dan

If he keeps up with this attitude, he's going to need to start charging by the hour to be able to afford having a dedicated security guard at his table.

I have had two conversations with Adams and he was very cordial and friendly in both. I walked away in 2012 thinking of how he was genuinely a nice guy. However, I can also back up that I have witnessed the type of incident that Dano has mentioned.

I only met Neal once, a few years back at DragonCon. I wanted to get a sketch from him, which was $250. I was willing to pay it and was pretty psyched because I thought I'd get to watch him sketch, but after I paid, he gave me one he'd done before the show. Oh well, I don't think he charged me to sign it, at least.

I also paid a little bit (maybe $10?) to have him sign a Batman black and white statue for me. His son also signed it, for free. His booth was buzzing at that show.

Since then I've run into him at three other shows, the most recent being two weeks ago at Lexington Comic and Toy Con. His prices had gone way up, his booth had gotten much larger, and his crowd much, much smaller.

He was perfectly polite with me, but since I don't do SS, and I usually like stuff personalized anyways, I don't pay for signatures. So I doubt I'll be getting anything else from him.

If you buy something from his booth, does he charge $30 to sign it? The last interaction I had with him was at the second Vegas show. His booth was pretty empty and he was selling signed prints for $30 or five for $100.

He was very cordial and signed my three minute sketchbook for free.

A half hour later I ran into a forumites who had two books signed and said he was a complete dock about it.

Dan

Huh, he was yelling at you because you didn't line up to pay $20-$30 a signature? I am confused.

Neal Adams was friendly five years ago and he is not at this time.

Neal Adams acting unfriendly!? :o

Was the sky blue and was water wet there too?

:grin:

He was very friendly at the big NYC art expo at javitz about 12-13 years ago i went to. but i guess he was also trying to branch out to a broader art collecting market then, not just comic folks.

I certainly mean no offense to anyone by saying this but can it really be surprising for someone to become jaded or at least appear to be so in this current speculation/movie hype climate.

why? the current market allows him to charge $300, $500, $1000 whatever for a 5 minute sketch. he shouldn't be jaded at all.

After the show, it sank in that he really wasn't what I consider "rude" but was rather what I consider a typical New Yorker. People from there are...unique...and similar to one another. I worked in air freight for a few years and one of the great things about that job was learning about people from all over the country. New Yorkers have their own way and many from elsewhere consider it rude, particularly those of us in the south. In reality, it's just New Yorkers being themselves.

----

Excuse me and F**K Y**U. We New Yorkers are very polite. See, I said excuse me.

I'm curious if anyone else has had him sign published OA? His reaction to me was quite off putting (especially considering that I've spent a lot at his table at previous NYCCs)

My first meeting with Mr. Adams was different. We met at a pastry shop before a Dallas show and he was trying to juggle a couple of portfolios, a box of art supplies, and his coffee. I immediately recognized him and since I was all but finished, offered him a hand. He was very thankful, so I offered him a ride to the show since he would be getting on a hotel shuttle and would continue trying to juggle everything. He politely declined and we went on our ways.

The next meeting came a year or two later and was consistent with the stories here. He was gruff to say the least and I believe his signing fee was around $20. I picked up a Green Lantern sketch cover and was tickled to get it. After the show, it sank in that he really wasn't what I consider "rude" but was rather what I consider a typical New Yorker. People from there are...unique...and similar to one another. I worked in air freight for a few years and one of the great things about that job was learning about people from all over the country. New Yorkers have their own way and many from elsewhere consider it rude, particularly those of us in the south. In reality, it's just New Yorkers being themselves.

The last meeting was very good. I remembered our previous meeting, saw him a New Yorker and it all went incredibly well. I picked up a Green Arrow sketch to compliment my Green Lantern. I showed him a picture of the GL he did a year before and he asked what I paid and he said "Wow, you got off cheap for one that big!" and proceeded to do a similar sketch for the same price. There was next to no one at the table at the time so I got some quality time and a great sketch. He even seemed surprised when I asked for him to personalize it. He asked if I was sure, I told him it wasn't going anywhere and he signed it to me, apparently happy to do so.

I like the guy and have nothing but respect for what he has done for creators, particularly his intervention on behalf of Al Plastino when his JFK story went awol. Mr. Adams put the pressure on DC and all others involved to get the art into the JFK Library on behalf of the then late Mr. Plastino. I mentioned this and he actually seemed a little embarrassed. I told him I was just happy that someone had the clout to make it happen.

Pretty similar to our encounter. Maybe he acts differently if he doesn't get the impression the fan is just a flipper.

I wonder if he is less hostile if it is personalized? Less chance for you to do this for a flip.

Eh he was a bit hostile to me because I did ask him to personalize it "you know, its gonna be a lot harder for you to sell this on eBay if it has your name on it" it took like a good three minutes for me to convince him to sign it to me.