• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your Top 5 modern titles?

82 posts in this topic

To this point, now that we've had a few new titles start up in 2005, what are everyone's favorite 5 titles to read every month?

And what are you looking forward to the most in 2005? Continuing a series or starting up a new series?

For me, I'll catch some flack for this big time, but my current top 5 titles are:

1. New Avengers

2. Superman/Batman

3. Astonishing X-Men

4. Flash

5. Ultimates 2

I've never been much of an Avengers fan. But I'm loving the two books I'm reading right now.

As for this year, I'm really looking forward to the new GL series and Allstar Batman & Robin. I'll probably read Allstar Superman as well, but don't think it'll be as great as B&R.

Ok, I'll bite;

1) The Walking Dead

2) 303 [Avatar] *mini series*

3) Small Gods

4) Megacity 909 [Devil's Due]

5) Shanna, The She Devil [Marvel]

I generally read about 30 titles a month, so I've got quite the spread. Shanna is a recent addition, due to that sumptuous art from Frank Cho, and the 'fluff' storyline. It's a good piece of eye and mind candy.

The series I'm looking forward to most, that's starting up very shortly, is the new Jon Sable, Freelance: Bloodlines mini-series. Jon Sable, Freelance has been my all-time favorite series, and the only one to survive a couple of full collection sales, so I'm very excited about seeing this again! This has also prompted my recent goal to recollect the issues of 'The Warlord' that Mike Grell did back in the late 70's/early 80's. These were the comics that brought me into this realm, and they hold a special place for me.

As a side note; even though I've heard countless complaints about the continuing reloading of some Marvel titles, the recent reload of Iron Man, and the start of the Ultimate Iron Man series has also got me back into that title. I would say about 35% of the titles I pick up are from the big 2, but the bulk of my purchases are still in the land of the Indy titles.

Ok, I'll bite;

1) The Walking Dead

2) 303 [Avatar] *mini series*

3) Small Gods

4) Megacity 909 [Devil's Due]

5) Shanna, The She Devil [Marvel]

I generally read about 30 titles a month, so I've got quite the spread. Shanna is a recent addition, due to that sumptuous art from Frank Cho, and the 'fluff' storyline. It's a good piece of eye and mind candy.

The series I'm looking forward to most, that's starting up very shortly, is the new Jon Sable, Freelance: Bloodlines mini-series. Jon Sable, Freelance has been my all-time favorite series, and the only one to survive a couple of full collection sales, so I'm very excited about seeing this again! This has also prompted my recent goal to recollect the issues of 'The Warlord' that Mike Grell did back in the late 70's/early 80's. These were the comics that brought me into this realm, and they hold a special place for me.

As a side note; even though I've heard countless complaints about the continuing reloading of some Marvel titles, the recent reload of Iron Man, and the start of the Ultimate Iron Man series has also got me back into that title. I would say about 35% of the titles I pick up are from the big 2, but the bulk of my purchases are still in the land of the Indy titles.

I haven't read comics for the "eye candy" since I was 14.

Then why do you like NA? It can't be for the writing screwy.gifpoke2.gif

Anyhoo, my top 5:

Ultimates 2

Conan

Astonishing X-Men

Y: The Last Man

Superman/Batman

Captain America almost makes it, as does Batman. The last couple of issues of Batman (post War Games) has been fun... thumbsup2.gif

Certainly not for the art layout either. How many times can you use the same panels over and over again? screwy.gif

Certainly not for the art layout either. How many times can you use the same panels over and over again? screwy.gif

I like BMB's writing. I'm one of 5 in the world.

Top five (in no order):

Daredevil

Y

Conan

Sleeper

Planetary

Next five:

Utlimates 2

Astonishing

Fables (from 0 to 60 in four trades)

JLA Classified

Army of Darkness

With a special shout out to the on-hiatus She Hulk.

Top 5 (in no particular order)

Planetary

JSA

Ultimate Spider-Man

Superman/Batman

Green Lantern: Rebirth/Green Lantern

Next 10 (in no particular order)

Flash

Teen Titans

Green Arrow

Astonishing X-Men

Fables

Y the Last Man

Invincible

JLA: Classified

Ultimates 2

New Thunderbolts

Next 10 (in no particular order)

New Avengers

Marvel Knights Spider-Man

Young Avengers

Doc Frankenstein

Ultimate Fantastic Four

Ultimate X-Men

Ultimate Nightmare/Secret

Shanna the She-Devil

Daredevil

Shaolin Cowboy

1. Conan

That's about it. A little irritating that I have trouble finding them on the rack without damage.

I'd like to try The Goon, but it has been like 3 or 4 months since I saw one on the rack.

Top 5 Modern Titles that I wish I could read every month...a couple of these are habitually late mad.gif

1. Ultimates 2

2. Superman/Batman

3. GL: Rebirth

4. Y the Last Man

5. JSA

100 Bullets would be there too, except I've moved over to TPB-only with that series.

edit: seems like 2005 will be the Year of the mini-series, with the Seven Soldiers, All-Stars, Countdown to Infinite Crisis and Dark Detective projects.

Superman/Batman

Doc Frankenstein

Ultimate Fantastic Four

Ultimate X-Men

Shaolin Cowboy

The above would be in my next ten easy.

Ultimate Nightmare/Secret, Shanna the She-Devil, Green Lantern: Rebirth I didn't include, only because they're true "mini"minis...

In no order:

Teen Titans

Superman/Batman

Walking Dead

Invincible

Ultimates 2

and Ulitmate Spidey, and Powers, and New Avengers, and JSA, and Y, and Fables, and 100 bullets...

Of course Green Lantern: Rebirth I didn't count cause its a mini, but that'd be #1