• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your Top 5 modern titles?

82 posts in this topic

Definitely

Conan-1

Plastic Man-2

Astonishing X-Men-3

Superman/Batman-4

Planetary-5

I am very pleased with Conan. Can't wait to see if Red Sonja Kicks it hard too.

I get probably 30-35 titles per month-

I am pleased with Legend-

I like x-23 better than New Avengers- Bendis is going to slow

We'll see soon

Now if I could only get an original page with the Goon punching someone....

The line forms behind me and Norrin. yeahok.gif

I got sniped on the two pages I was bidding on when Powell had his benefit auctions in January. frustrated.gif

You come close on any? The cover to #4 would have been sweet. Too beaucoup for me though.

Sorry for the sign-offtopic.gif

I was watching those auctions. I was hoping to have a shot at the cow punching page but it got way too high. I don't have the money for it right now...hopefully by WW Chicago I will be able to afford one.

He had pages at SPX last year, I think. I would have got one, but I far prefer Scott Morse's work, and he happened to be sitting directly across from Powell.

I got sniped on the two pages I was bidding on when Powell had his benefit auctions in January. frustrated.gif

You come close on any? The cover to #4 would have been sweet. Too beaucoup for me though.

Sorry for the sign-offtopic.gif

I saw that you were bidding on a few of the pages. I lost out too. frown.gif But I did get an offer to buy one of the double splashes for $750 from the buyer, but I decided it was too much money.

Did you see the Drawing on Your Nightmares page that dserna sold recently? He had it listed on his website for $850, I bid $515, but it sold for $631. Oh well.

da_12_sb.JPG

I saw that you were bidding on a few of the pages. I lost out too. frown.gif But I did get an offer to buy one of the double splashes for $750 from the buyer, but I decided it was too much money.

Did you see the Drawing on Your Nightmares page that dserna sold recently? He had it listed on his website for $850, I bid $515, but it sold for $631. Oh well.

Who is dserna? I saw the page but wasn't into the content (or price). I gave up and bought a Powell page from something else. It looks good has a werewolf and was cheap. smirk.gif

To not be all off-topic, I did read the first Doc Frankenstein book mentioned by others and it was intriguing. I just ordered the second book and the first two Shaolin Cowboys from Burleyman as well.

I love 'em all! Too hard to settle on a top 5, I'd have to hold a comics tourney to narrow it down. Whateever title I just finished reading usually pops to the top of the list? Has anyone ever had way more titles that they liked than not liked? frown.gif

Not liked:

Xmen/FF crossover

Peter David on Hulk - why bring this "writer" back to the Hulk - what the hell is he doing with this Monster Island BS and bringing back what looks like General Ross, but is probably an automaton or AIM construct just like the Grey hulk and maybe the Leader is behind this again sleeping.gif - for the guys complaining about Bendis as a hack, check this guy out, our very own Comic Book Guy look-alike, Peter David frown.gif

Starting to drag for me:

Daredevil(re-intro of the pre Kingpin boss - bleh; re-intro of the White Tiger amulets and it's a girl this time sleeping.gif; whole secret identity thing getting old - much like Jones' Hulk run - starting to beat dead horses here sleeping.gif)

FF (Johnny as the herald was great, but Galactus as Galen was lame IMO, as was the ending)

Regular Spider titles - they are just non-events. I'm neither shocked, disgusted or tittilated by the recent intro of the Gwen daughter confused-smiley-013.gif I think I enjoy Unlimited most out of the current Spider-man mishmosh for its writing - Unlimited artwork is spotty at best.

X-titles - also nothing going on in the major titles - I find myself enjoying the "X-kid" titles more like New X-men academy and X-23 - I'll page thru Rogue and the single X character minis but I don't develop a huge liking for 'em. Yes even Astonishing for me is not as enjoyable on the same level as some here tout it to be.

All bat books are snoozers after Hush - even the failed batbook wide crossovers were snoozers - bad art and the black skulled villain part dragged forever? Even the attempts to reinject Hush back into the storyline were not that great IMO

Supreme Power and Doctor Spectrum - too long in between issues. I still pick it up and like to read the next installment, but I lose interest in between issues.

Totally loving:

DC books 893whatthe.gif

LOSH

Wonder woman (only so-so now that she's blind)

Flash - I know it'll pick up during Rogue War - but I Like that reverse flash or Zolomon whoever is back - he's pretty badarse IMO smile.gif

Teen Titans

Fables

Y The Last Man

Superman/Batman (when it comes out frown.gif )

I don't know why but I'm enjoying the Supes titles - maybe it's because it is all new to me and I'm not tied down in pre-Crisis/post -crisis confused-smiley-013.gif continuity

I haven't given up on Marvel either - these are the ones I still enjoy - mmost are surprisingly mini-series:

Stormbreaker - too bad it's only a mini frown.gif

Runaways

X-23

New Avengers - anything to get Drice to cringe and post the way he does about bendis must be good tongue.gif His posts just crack me up sometimes - I've never seen anyone so upset over the way the old Avengers were dismantled and rendered into nothing/'never-was' status so efficiently and in such a nonchalant manner as Bendis did.

Secret War - belongs in dragging titles but when it comes out I really love it.

and anything Ultimate - Ultimate titles are the best thing going in comics for me, writing (Vertigo titles I read are a close second) and caliber of art considered. It is a breath of fresh air. Whenever I read another inane post in the water cooler or another trite post about pressing (and there are plenty of them on this board), I pop open an Ultimate book and it's like all my cares go away cloud9.gif

I love 'em all! Too hard to settle on a top 5, I'd have to hold a comics tourney to narrow it down. Whateever title I just finished reading usually pops to the top of the list? Has anyone ever had way more titles that they liked than not liked? frown.gif

Not liked:

Xmen/FF crossover

Peter David on Hulk - why bring this "writer" back to the Hulk - what the hell is he doing with this Monster Island BS and bringing back what looks like General Ross, but is probably an automaton or AIM construct just like the Grey hulk and maybe the Leader is behind this again sleeping.gif - for the guys complaining about Bendis as a hack, check this guy out, our very own Comic Book Guy look-alike, Peter David frown.gif

Starting to drag for me:

Daredevil(re-intro of the pre Kingpin boss - bleh; re-intro of the White Tiger amulets and it's a girl this time sleeping.gif; whole secret identity thing getting old - much like Jones' Hulk run - starting to beat dead horses here sleeping.gif)

FF (Johnny as the herald was great, but Galactus as Galen was lame IMO, as was the ending)

Regular Spider titles - they are just non-events. I'm neither shocked, disgusted or tittilated by the recent intro of the Gwen daughter confused-smiley-013.gif I think I enjoy Unlimited most out of the current Spider-man mishmosh for its writing - Unlimited artwork is spotty at best.

X-titles - also nothing going on in the major titles - I find myself enjoying the "X-kid" titles more like New X-men academy and X-23 - I'll page thru Rogue and the single X character minis but I don't develop a huge liking for 'em. Yes even Astonishing for me is not as enjoyable on the same level as some here tout it to be.

All bat books are snoozers after Hush - even the failed batbook wide crossovers were snoozers - bad art and the black skulled villain part dragged forever? Even the attempts to reinject Hush back into the storyline were not that great IMO

Supreme Power and Doctor Spectrum - too long in between issues. I still pick it up and like to read the next installment, but I lose interest in between issues.

Totally loving:

DC books 893whatthe.gif

LOSH

Wonder woman (only so-so now that she's blind)

Flash - I know it'll pick up during Rogue War - but I Like that reverse flash or Zolomon whoever is back - he's pretty badarse IMO smile.gif

Teen Titans

Fables

Y The Last Man

Superman/Batman (when it comes out frown.gif )

I don't know why but I'm enjoying the Supes titles - maybe it's because it is all new to me and I'm not tied down in pre-Crisis/post -crisis confused-smiley-013.gif continuity

I haven't given up on Marvel either - these are the ones I still enjoy - mmost are surprisingly mini-series:

Stormbreaker - too bad it's only a mini frown.gif

Runaways

X-23

New Avengers - anything to get Drice to cringe and post the way he does about bendis must be good tongue.gif His posts just crack me up sometimes - I've never seen anyone so upset over the way the old Avengers were dismantled and rendered into nothing/'never-was' status so efficiently and in such a nonchalant manner as Bendis did.

Secret War - belongs in dragging titles but when it comes out I really love it.

and anything Ultimate - Ultimate titles are the best thing going in comics for me, writing (Vertigo titles I read are a close second) and caliber of art considered. It is a breath of fresh air. Whenever I read another inane post in the water cooler or another trite post about pressing (and there are plenty of them on this board), I pop open an Ultimate book and it's like all my cares go away cloud9.gif

acclaim.gif

I sooo agree with nearly all of your assessments Darth. Some exceptions:

The latest Batman arc is pretty good.

Supreme Power does take forever. And did you notice the quality of art in the latest Doc Spectrum issue really dropped off?

LOSH isn't so good...

I also wish Stormbreaker would last longer. It has been excellent - Oeming is very underrated.

New Avengers still sucks smile.gif

Actually, New Avengers is starting to turn into the old Avengers. They already have their Headquarters and Quinjet, and Jarvis. Now they just need to bring back Hawkeye and drop Spidey and Wolverine... thumbsup2.gif

Top five:

100 Bullets

Planetary

Birds of Prey

Daredevil

Ultimate FF

I knew I could count on my boy, Sean to give Bullets top props.

My top 5:

-100 Bullets

-Superman/Batman

-The Goon

-Ultimates 2

-Fables

Not liked:

Starting to drag for me:

I was ready to drop DD ( 893whatthe.gif) then Bendis delivered a great book with the White Tiger thing and has now started a new arc. I figured out what he's doing -- he's exploring why people are superheros (the White Tiger story) and then the effect that these superheroics have on regular folk (the new storyline). I'm interested to see what he has coming.

The latest Batman arc is pretty good.

I'll have to review it at my LCS. I wasn't digging it after war games at all.

Supreme Power does take forever. And did you notice the quality of art in the latest Doc Spectrum issue really dropped off?

yeah frown.gif I guess I'm spoiled expecting Gary Frank work on all of Straczynski's team superhero titles. Maybe last issue was rushed to avoid even longer delays

LOSH isn't so good...

I'm enjoying the read since it is fresh for me. I wasn't ruined on LOSH by the prezero hour drek that shadroch talks about in the LOSH thread.

New Avengers still sucks smile.gif

Actually, New Avengers is starting to turn into the old Avengers. They already have their Headquarters and Quinjet, and Jarvis. Now they just need to bring back Hawkeye and drop Spidey and Wolverine... thumbsup2.gif

NEVER!!!! Spidey and Wolverine are here to stay. Better as new Avengers than New defenders foreheadslap.gif27_laughing.gif

And they made Ultimate Jarvis gay ... 27_laughing.gif

1. Conan - best comic for overall quality. No gimmicks just great story and art. If only they'd get someone for the covers.

2. 100 Bullets - you know the reasons, if you dont pick up a copy.

3. Hellblazer - love the Constantine vs. his children story.

4. Daredevil - though Bendis is running out of ideas I agree with Darth

5. Adam Strange - great revival, really like this book the plot is developing nicely.

1. Superman/Batman

2. The Goon

3. Astonishing X-Men

4. Wolverine

And at a distant fifth comes MK Spiderman. If this thread came about six or seven months ago, MK Spiderman would be one or two on my list. I think the resolution and Marvel Universe revisionism to the Aunt May saga and battle between Green Goblin and Spiderman was too whacky and dragged on too long. Additional lameness-JJJ being tricked into thinking his son is Spiderman. Additional coolness- Venom has been the highlight of Millar's run. Though Millar is now leaving and I've never even heard of the guy slated to replace him.

I find it amazing you guys don't all give Daredevil a top 5 rating - this book (under Bendis) has kept me into buying moderns, since i buy other books when i go to buy DD. It is superb in every way. If people prefer Ultimate Spiderman to this, clearly things are going wrong in the world screwy.gif

I find it amazing you guys don't all give Daredevil a top 5 rating - this book (under Bendis) has kept me into buying moderns, since i buy other books when i go to buy DD. It is superb in every way. If people prefer Ultimate Spiderman to this, clearly things are going wrong in the world screwy.gif

hi.gif It was the first book I mentioned...