• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Cancelled Orders

19 posts in this topic

Delighted to wake up on Monday and see I had won seven comics on Sunday night. Issues that I really wanted.

When I went to check out being charged $65 import charges plus over $50 shipping. I am in the UK and there are no import charges payable for comics.

Queried with seller and he said nothing to do with him just have to pay even although they are not properly payable.

I have now received notification of cancelled orders. I wasn't aware that sellers could cancel orders where items won at auction. Have they not contracted to sell? I would have paid the extra to get the comics but now don't appear to have that option.

Of course pretty much down to ebay and their global shipping which requires payment of sum not actually due as import charges.

Has anyone got anywhere with this being sorted so that either the ebay shipping program recognises that charges should not be applied or charges recovered by application to customs authorities?

Not too impressed with the seller's appreciation of customer's interests.

Mikey

Did the seller's ad say they ship internationally? I sell on eBay and I don't sell international. Perhaps you bid on books and won them but the seller didn't want to ship to the UK? I'm not sure but it could be possible.

Sorry that happened

No, seller sold internationally using bay global shipping program which showed $0.00 import charges on listing which correct.

However at checkout import charges for each of the comics won were applied to my winning bids together with postage.

No, seller sold internationally using bay global shipping program which showed $0.00 import charges on listing which correct.

However at checkout import charges for each of the comics won were applied to my winning bids together with postage.

That is how the GSP program works, it will not show any import charges until you either bid or hit the "buy it now" button, first time I encountered the GSP the same thing happened to me (I was probably as happy as you were). Great seller program but as a buyer you have to be aware of those charges and bid/buy accordingly.

I don't have anything against people outside the US but eBay makes buying and selling more difficult to those locations. So I generally never bother with it and have the GSP turned off.

I was doing some deal with people from Canada but found the shipping information/delivery times too much of a pain in the rump-- and I don't know who is to blame for that, it was just my experience.

That is how the GSP program works, it will not show any import charges until you either bid or hit the "buy it now" button, first time I encountered the GSP the same thing happened to me (I was probably as happy as you were). Great seller program but as a buyer you have to be aware of those charges and bid/buy accordingly.

that really sucks,,,,

for buyers - is there a way to get that back after the fact? obviously not the best solution for sure - I am just curious.....

I don't have anything against people outside the US but eBay makes buying and selling more difficult to those locations. So I generally never bother with it and have the GSP turned off.

I was doing some deal with people from Canada but found the shipping information/delivery times too much of a pain in the rump-- and I don't know who is to blame for that, it was just my experience.

The only good thing about GSP is that it protects sellers.

The bad side is that it jacks up shipping costs by around 200%, for buyers.

I ship internationally, without it, and haven't had any problems with buyers trying to rip me off.

If I had an international buyer that looked the slightest bit sketchy, feedback wise, I'd cancel the sale and relist the book.

I don't agree with that. For sellers using the GSP, I always see the amount being charged as I browse the listings (no bid or BIN required). From what I can see, it's generally no charge less than $20, then goes up with the price. I never purchase from sellers using GSP - it's a total scam.

Yeah, that os likely due to eBay's GSP charges.

I'd try giving eBay customer service a call about this.If you have a lot of positive feedback as a buyer, they may work with you on this.

I ship internationally, without it, and haven't had any problems with buyers trying to rip me off.

If I had an international buyer that looked the slightest bit sketchy, feedback wise, I'd cancel the sale and relist the book.

How does it protect the sellers? My understanding is that for protection, they only need proper tracking w/delivery confirmation - signature for high value ($750+?). I believe the GSP is actually for the buyer - so they are not faced with any shocking surprises with respect to customer/brokerage import fees. However from my experiences this has never happened with eBay purchases, only with Auction houses or major retail outlets like MHC.

How does it protect the sellers? My understanding is that for protection, they only need proper tracking w/delivery confirmation - signature for high value ($750+?). I believe the GSP is actually for the buyer - so they are not faced with any shocking surprises with respect to customer/brokerage import fees. However from my experiences this has never happened with eBay purchases, only with Auction houses or major retail outlets like MHC.

I'm pretty sure GSP protect sellers generally because they check it at the processing in GSP headquarters, then mail it out from there. Meaning if you can get it safely to Kentucky? Atlanta? wherever, you're covered after that and any issues the buyer has after that are with GSP (Baltroc?)

But it might be different at higher values, I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure GSP protect sellers generally because they check it at the processing in GSP headquarters, then mail it out from there. Meaning if you can get it safely to Kentucky? Atlanta? wherever, you're covered after that and any issues the buyer has after that are with GSP (Baltroc?)

It would be nice to here from a seller who has a case history about how he almost got ripped off/scammed, but thanks to the GSP all turned out fine.

As for the original poster (mickeyc67). There was probably a simple misunderstanding, where he thought you wanted to cancel due to your surprise at the high cost of the GSP. If you send him a note that you were just wondering if there was a way around it, but otherwise still interested in the purchase I'm sure he'll try again.

I had GSP two years ago. Few intenational buyers complained about being overcharged. I hadn't sold one book to the international buyer for four months. Decided to remove GSP and never has a problem ever since.

One thing about GSP that bothered me. It went south out of state then stayed there for two or three days. It was finally delivered over me northbound. It tooks two to three weeks to get there. I decided to do it for myself and the delivery took only a week by after turning GSP off.

I think GSP may turn them off and don't think GSP benefited me at all.

It would be nice to here from a seller who has a case history about how he almost got ripped off/scammed, but thanks to the GSP all turned out fine.

As for the original poster (mickeyc67). There was probably a simple misunderstanding, where he thought you wanted to cancel due to your surprise at the high cost of the GSP. If you send him a note that you were just wondering if there was a way around it, but otherwise still interested in the purchase I'm sure he'll try again.

here's the thing. THe seller would never know if they were getting ripped off/scammed, so they would have no story to share. Once the seller gets the item to GSP central, its over for them. Even if there was an issue, they wouldn't be contacted. GSP and the customer complete the rest of the transaction. If there is an honest return, it goes BACK through GSP also. So GSP does protect sellers, but the cost is prohibitive for many buyers and may actually LOSE customers to potential sellers. So its up to the individual seller/buyer to decide if GSP is worth it for them.

here's the thing. THe seller would never know if they were getting ripped off/scammed, so they would have no story to share. Once the seller gets the item to GSP central, its over for them. Even if there was an issue, they wouldn't be contacted. GSP and the customer complete the rest of the transaction. If there is an honest return, it goes BACK through GSP also. So GSP does protect sellers, but the cost is prohibitive for many buyers and may actually LOSE customers to potential sellers. So its up to the individual seller/buyer to decide if GSP is worth it for them.

Interesting. Looks like there's much more to the GSP program than I thought. I'll read up on it some more on eBay ... Thanks for the input.

I had GSP two years ago. Few intenational buyers complained about being overcharged. I hadn't sold one book to the international buyer for four months. Decided to remove GSP and never has a problem ever since.

One thing about GSP that bothered me. It went south out of state then stayed there for two or three days. It was finally delivered over me northbound. It tooks two to three weeks to get there. I decided to do it for myself and the delivery took only a week by after turning GSP off.

I think GSP may turn them off and don't think GSP benefited me at all.

I agree with this completely, shipping outside of the USA is just a headache, and the buyers complain about all the added fees which the seller has no control over.