• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: How do you look for books ebay?

I look for books on ebay by:  

402 members have voted

1. 1. I look for books on ebay by:

35 posts in this topic

Hey greggorina, got some nice NM- JLA's (10c & 12c) just waiting to unload

Sorry, but I concentrated my DC collecting from the 15 centers and up. With the JLA, it's the 72 and up. I did have a CGC 9.4 #55 that I put on eBay a few years ago in which Josh from ComicLink won. Where were you in the bidding? crazy.gif

Hmm a few years ago, let's see...where was I?

I started on ebay in Dec of '99 and my collection was gathering dust in a nice, tight closet where there was nothing but darkness and low humidity. smirk.gif

At the time I was unloading sportscards and loading up on SLU's.

I'd tell you to take that #55 and eat it, but you don't have it anymore, now do you? frown.gif

Rick

Eh, Sonny-boy...back in the good old days when ebay was just a pup you could search every new listing in the Comic category in half an hour or so as there would only be 25 total pages of comic auctions! These days such a feat would be next to impossible and I was wondering how most people look for books on ebay.

i just bought a cgc 9.6 hulk from u last week and i keep checking back if you have anything new up but u havnt yet

My most popular search usually includes the following. X-men CGC, Batman CGC or any other title I collect. Like a few other mentioned I will simply look under CGC for steals and deals. I also do searches for individual books, IE Batman 368 or X-men 142 CGC.

-Jeremy-

I would say our methods are very close, but I do some things different and have since saved the search for each title I collect.

1. I'll enter the title I'm looking for and add CGC to the search.

2. I switch to "auction only" unless I'm looking for a specific issue #, because Buy-It-Nows are almost always over-priced.

3. I sort by "most bids" - because even new listings seem to get a few bids pretty fast, and I can usually stop searching when I hit zero bids. I also sort by "highest price" in "auction only" if I'm looking for high-dollar books or a particular issue number.

The problem is I haven't bought a book off of eBay in a few years. (shrug)

Maybe having a beer or two after the wife goes to bed, so it's somewhat late, searching by "Silver Age", the "ending soonest". Very occassionally though, just because it's fun.

This is what I love to do. Every once in a while I'll pull up silver and then ending soonest and auctions only. Then just start looking for a good deal.

I never look for anything that's expiring farther out than an hour or two.

Once I get a bid in, I wait to see if I won. If I win, then I quickly go look at other items they are selling to see if I can leverage combined shipping.

I'm pretty opportunistic -- I still have a bunch of holes and lots of runs that interest me, so I'll buy a lot of silver that's a really good deal. Every once in a while I end up with a great 8 or 9 book for an incredible price.

Last week I picked up a bunch of Carl Barks gold and silver Duck books in VG+ to VF- for $8-$10 a piece. And a lot of 21 VG- to F- Hawkman books for $30 including Hawkman #4

"Other" for me as well...

I have 28 "preferred sellers" on my watch list

These are all sellers I'm comfortable with, are strict graders, know how to ship securely and safely (and cheaply !) all over the world

I need that list :cool:

I look at new Buy it nows, never look at the old ones and I look at Golden Age Auctions, then I skim each listing.

I used to do this every day, now I do it occasionally.

I will also do a few searches under all items, to see if there is an item in the wrong category, I have never found a book that way, but Catrick has, so I followed him;)

These days I do "A" since I'm looking for key book in the highest grades I can afford (or not afford as is the case)

I still enjoy do a search of "auctions ending soon" and see if I can steal a good one at the last second. I know that makes me a D!&k, but it sure is fun. (and I've procured quite a few great books that way)