• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,169 posts in this topic

So....

Got a book up for $175 BIN/OBO

Buyer offers $100

I counter $135 (a bit under last few feebay sales of same item/condition)

Buyer counters $100 again O.o

So... should I counter $135 again, or go higher, or reject/ignore? hm

Edited by jcjames

44 minutes ago, jcjames said:

So....

Buyer offers $100

I decline at that point and move on - especially if the price is already decent at my lowered price.  Life is too short for low ballers.

The Universal Postal Union Explained

As a result of this unfair rate system, the US government announced that it is going to withdraw from the UPU. If the US moves forward with this withdrawal plan, it could mean big trouble for anyone who sends or receives mail or packages internationally.

https://www.ebaymainstreet.com/news-events/universal-postal-union-explained?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign_753391

On 8/23/2019 at 1:23 PM, rjpb said:

I just got blocked from bidding by a seller after asking questions about the spines or if the pages seemed brittle on a couple of lower grade books for which they provided only a couple of small photos and no grades or descriptions (books where the bidding is at a few hundred dollars). 

Apparently the seller didn't feel their response was dissuasive enough.

"I appreciate your interest in our auctions, however, I'm not a comic expert, we are selling the comics as is. I'm not going to open myself up to folks saying I said one thing and it's another just because people have differences on opinion of condition. Probably best to pass on our auctions so you're not disappointed, thanks."

:eyeroll:

That is not uncommon. I have done it on occasion myself when someone just keeps firing questions at me and most of the questions are answered in my detailed description. Or they are feeling me out to see if they can keep asking for more and more-- like less expensive shipping charges or something free.

I'm not saying you are to that level of annoying - but maybe the people are just tired of dealing with condition questions in general or have had numerous returns or people asking for some portion of refund due to conditions not as described.

I had some insufficiently_thoughtful_person on Amazon ask me the other day if I can ship something to him by a certain date (10 days) -- and then proceeded to ask more dumb questions that I had already answered. Meanwhile days are passing and the window is closing in terms of being able to meet some shipping requirement. I told him-- look, if you never order it I can't ship it in time. They replied that they were going to order it but that my "terse and surly" attitude turned them off. If only I could block buyers on Amazon. I think I wrote about 3 replies but shelved them and decided to go with :"no response needed" instead. Seemed like they were baiting me to blow up. You want a magazine? Just order it, stupid.

You know what-- I think it might cathartic to share some of those replies--- check them out in this spoiler portion if you want (again-- this is on Amazon):

Initial question:

Aug 27 6:01 PM
Hello, Hope all is well. Is there any way you can get this delivered to me by Friday, September 6? My mailing address is Charlotte, NC. Thanks, Danny

Aug 27 10:02 PM
What item are you referring to? All I see is your request about shipping-- no item reference is attached to the message? Is it a magazine? I can usually get that out pretty quick.

Aug 28 3:27 PM
Yessir. It is the Sports illustrated with Jared Goff on the cover.

Aug 28 3:28 PM
It is a magazine. I am referring to the Sports illustrated Issue with Jared Goff on the cover.

Aug 28 3:49 PM
I believe I have answered your question - how quickly it gets there is based on how quickly you order it. The only thing that might be an issue-- and I doubt it is the case-- is if this were being ordered to be delivered to a prison facility. I cannot send items to prisons. No need to tell me you are not in prison-- if you want this item, just order it.

Aug 28 5:11 PM
Well, I was going to order it, but if your terse and surly response is any indication of your overall customer service, I think I will pass. Have a good holiday, Danny (aka "A Free Man")
No response needed

My three potential responses-- saved them as I was rewriting them:

The response I wanted to send back but decided to just ignore this twit:

You took offense about the prison part? Wow -- I was only explaining the situation and potential reasons why what I was saying might be incorrect.  I even stated it was highly doubtful this was the case. Believe it or not-- I have had to cancel numerous orders that family members make for people who are incarcerated. I said I could get it to you quickly if it was a magazine. Instead of just ordering it-- you replied-- it is a magazine. You realize that was two days that you wasted when apparently the time it gets delivered is important? Makes you sound like you are not serious about buying anything-- and I honestly do not care if the 4 or 5 dollars I make sending this to you-- who will probably complain or return the item or give me a bad review or whatever other nonsense you seem capable of after that last statement.
second attempt-- still didn't send it. F this guy. :

First of all--- I have no idea what you are referring to when you ask "how long will it take to ship THIS" -- This what? Are you under the assumption that some item number gets attached to your question when you click on Amazon's "ask the seller a question"?

As I stated-- it does not. I assumed you meant a magazine as that is mostly what I have listed. I stated that I am pretty quick at mailing things out. That should have been plenty enough for you to pull the trigger. Instead you send TWO messages to me and basically waste one more day of shipping time.

You want to claim I am being "terse and surly"? I am answering your messages about an item that clearly states the expected shipping times. You are being unreasonable. You took offense over a simple explanation of how people buying stuff for incarcerated people was the one thing I could not do as some personal insinuation to who you are when I was merely pointing out the ONE THING that could prevent me from getting the item there as soon as you were hoping. That is basic communication and as I stated-- it probably did not apply to you. But go ahead and make a federal issue about it mister "free man". Thanks so much for WASTING MY TIME over some item I might make a whopping 5 dollars selling to you.

Or this one:
"I think I will pass." - Danny the overly sensitive and incapable of reading context free man

On this-- we are in full agreement.

Yeah, would be buyers who keep pestering you with questions can be annoying, but if this seller is getting lots of condition questions in general, it's because they have zero description of condition, just a front and back picture that can't be enlarged much. So it's their own damn fault. 

As to your story, I can see how a potential buyer might assume their question includes the item they linked to the "ask a seller" option from, but the guy did seem quick to take offense at the prison comment. Perhaps he's "free" now, but it still brings up bad memories.

On 8/26/2019 at 1:30 PM, jcjames said:

So....

Buyer offers $100

I always reciprocate...

It's kind of a let down when you reach an agreement with a seller and they don't honor it.

International seller. Wanted to buy tons of books from him. He has OBO on every product. I messaged to see if he can reduce shipping costs since it's $6-11 per book. He says, "sure, we can ship every 4th book at cost".

So, I send an offer for $10 under list price (to reduce shipping to free on that 1 item) and add, "I'll be buying 6 other books with this one. He returns an offer for $1 off...

I removed all 20 of his items from my Watch (to buy) list. Ugh.

On 8/26/2019 at 10:30 AM, jcjames said:

So....

Buyer offers $100

@Buzzetta would counter at $250.

On 8/26/2019 at 1:30 PM, jcjames said:

So....

Buyer offers $100

2 hours ago, kav said:

@Buzzetta would counter at $250.

2 hours ago, kav said:

AND raise BIN to $225

Yup... lol  I would... If I say $135 and that is it... that's it... 

Just now, Buzzetta said:

Yup... lol  I would... If I say $135 and that is it... that's it... 

not only that folks-when he raises the BIN-he gets it-then message the tire kicker that he SOLD

PSA: Read before accepting any more promotional listings: EBAY PROMOTIONAL LISTINGS GOTCHA to watch out for.  This is a bit of a new one from ebay that you need to watch for and something to help prevent auto-relists and get charged fees. 

As many of you already know ebay has gone to a 30-day GTC auto-relist for all BIN w/offer listings for non-store selling accounts.  Many of you have countered by switching to auction listings to avoid getting whacked by the insertion fees when the relists exceed the free monthly listings.  For me (and others) to continue using BIN and counter their new GTC auto relistings which don't tell you when they are actually slated to end, I have another ebay account watch all my seller account listings.  That account will track when a listing is about to end and I then end the listings an hour before they expire and then wait for the next month's free listings or a promotional offer from ebay with no insertion fees to relist.

Well last week ebay hit me with something new.  I got an offer for 200 free BIN listings with no insertion fees for listings/relistings occuring over a 3 day period that happened to cover the days when all my listings were scheduled to end and be auto relisted.  So I activated the offer and instead of manually ending and relisting I let all 150 of my listings get auto-relisted.  Before doing so I carefully reviewed the fine print for the offer to ensure it included relists and BIN that occurred in the activation offer window.  I never read anything about a change in the duration for the relisted items.  So almost a week later today I decided to check on my other ebay account to view my watched items for my seller account and see if they all got relisted with a new 30-day end date.  To my surprise, it showed that all my listings will end in 1d xhrs from now instead of at least 23 days from now.  Somehow, ebay managed to pull another fast one by defaulting the relist for a max of 1week with a GTC.  Had I not caught this, it would have auto-relisted all my listings tomorrow and possibly continued them for a weekly expiration hitting me with up to 3x my 150 listings for insertion fees this month.  The implications of this are bad and downright criminal. 

1. they've now shorted me on what should have been a 30-day free listing

2. they are conning me into a 1-week relist without informing me of that change and exposing me to being charged up to 3x a month for insertion fees

I'm thinking about calling them up and asking about this and seeing if they can reset it to a 30-day listing.  I don't really want to reveal how it is I'm tracking the listing's expiration for fear they'll close that loophole.  This is just getting ridiculous.

Ahhhhhh.... the old my daughter already has it excuse... 

buyer has made good on several other  purchases across two accounts ranging from $65 to $175 so... not blocking her unless it happens again.  

No reason to think she is lying... she even used her own photo of the item in question... sometimes it happens.

1C25C10B-1017-411D-96F4-C7A28C274457.jpeg

Edited by Buzzetta

On 9/4/2019 at 2:20 PM, D84 said:

Just curious. Do any of you have the non paying bidder autoclaim turned on and if so, what is it set to?

Yes, but I don't think it's for everybody because some people get really mad when a case is opened against them. Now, why they would get mad at a seller when they agreed to a price and didn't pay is beyond me.

I have mine set to 4 days after the item ends which I feel is ample time to pay for your item.

17 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Yes, but I don't think it's for everybody because some people get really mad when a case is opened against them. Now, why they would get mad at a seller when they agreed to a price and didn't pay is beyond me.

I have mine set to 4 days after the item ends which I feel is ample time to pay for your item.

I have mine set for 4 days as well.  If the buyer contacts me and asks for an extension,  I'll disable it on that item.

1 minute ago, D84 said:

I have mine set for 4 days as well.  If the buyer contacts me and asks for an extension,  I'll disable it on that item.

Yea, that's typically what I do as well. Sometimes if I remember I will send them a message the day before.